General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone else having issues with the heat?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-06-26 9:32 AM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Subject: Anyone else having issues with the heat??
So I'm in the Chicago area - and basically the 1st day of summer came and we haven't seen highs below 80 since - with higher humidity.  I know that it's probably hotter other places - but I'm new at this "game".  My body isn't letting me run!!  And I dont' know what to do.  I usually run INSIDE, but my fitness center isn't all that cool...anyone else have some issues when they were still a new runner??

2009-06-26 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2244865

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Subject: RE: Anyone else having issues with the heat??

Uh...yeah!  We're roasting with temps over 100 all week, so 80 sounds perfectly blissful to me!  I saw a neighbor out running yesterday and the temp gauge on my car was reading 106 - that's just crazy.  I'm doing all of my workouts early in the morning, at the gym, or in the pool.  Otherwise, I'm just asking for heat stroke.... Running in the heat is particularly brutal.  You can aclimate over time as long as you take it easy, but I'm not sure how much good that does for your training. Personally, I have this thing against being miserable, exhausted, and dehydrated - but maybe that's just me.

2009-06-26 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pittsburgh
I really hate the heat too.  My idea of a "perfect day" is with highs somewhere in the mid-60s, so the 80+ weather gets to me too.  I try to get my run in as early in the morning as possible, but there's a big HTFU component here.  Basically, you're going to have to suffer through a few miserable runs to make your body adapt to running in more challenging weather.  Don't expect to run as fast or as far as when the temperature is more pleasant, but it will get easier over time.  And make sure to drink plenty of water -- during my 1-hour run this morning, I lost 2 pounds water weight  NOT COOL!

Edited by kat_astrophe 2009-06-26 9:43 AM
2009-06-26 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2244875

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Yeah...I know it's hotter elsewhere - - but it's  abig change.  Yesterday it said "88, feels like 102".  I'm not trying to run outside!  That's just crazy...but I still need to build up my running for my first tri in a few weeks - - how can I do that if my body is just not letting me...what am I doing wrong??
2009-06-26 9:39 AM

User image

New user
I remember the 80 degrees/high humidity days (I am a New Yorker)... Now, living in Phoenix -- in summer we sometimes start our days in the 80-90s, and end up in the 1-teens.  I know heat.

Some thoughts:
1.  Definitely only workout in the coolest part of the day, as early AM as possible.
2.  Indoor running, maybe even shorter bikes on the trainer.
3.  Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.
4.  Use Hammer Endurolytes.  These are a staple on my warm day workouts, I take 2 before working out and 2 every hour.  With water of course.
5.  Listen to your body... I train by HR, and if the heat is kicking, and my HR is too high, I need to slow down and lower my intensity.  Heart Rate doesn't lie.

Just my 2 cents.

ken
2009-06-26 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2244875

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pittsburgh
I think acclimating to running in the heat is actually a helpful thing during training, if you're going to be racing during the summer.  I'd much rather have to take it easy and carry my dorky water belt around in the summer than get heatstroke on a race course from not being used to running in hot weather.  Mother Nature has an unpleasant habit of contradicting everyone's wishes, so I try to just get used to her cranky spells, whether that's running in hot and humid weather or running in a torrential downpour.  If the race wouldn't be canceled due to the weather conditions, I'm going to be running in it.  (Biking, on the other hand, I am a wuss about... I tend to hide on the indoor cycle rather than bike in the rain.)

2009-06-26 9:43 AM

Heat and humidity really get to me. Even though I've been running in it since I started running (I first started running in the summer). I make sure I drink enough and replenish electrolytes, but it still really takes it out of me. Heat has ALWAYS bothered me. I'm not sure why that is.

2009-06-26 9:46 AM

What do you mean by your body is not letting you?

The heat can be rough.  Part of it is just getting acclimated.  Part of it is toughening up a bit.

Do your runs when it is coolest.  Bring some hydration with you.  Stay in shaded areas if you can.  Wear clothes that are conducive to staying cool.
2009-06-26 9:51 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I ran 8 miles in 95-degree heat last weekend, and it definitely affected me.

Besides staying well hydrated throughout the day, carry water with you on the run. Whether it's in a fuel belt or physically carrying a bike bottle - just make sure you have some.

Allow yourself to slow down and/or stop in the shade. Last weekend I let myself stop about once every mile. And that's ok.

Route yourself by a gas station or somewhere that will let you re-fill your water bottle with fresh, ice-cold ice and water. It helps a ton to dump out the (by that time) hot water and even dump some ice on your head on the way out.

Sometimes I carry a sweat rag because I'm sweating so much it runs into my eyes and stings. Plus I don't enjoy sweat rolling down my face. I suppose a sweat band would do the same thing.

Don't forget sunscreen
2009-06-26 9:52 AM
in reply to: #2244935

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
I just get really out of breath quickly and my legs get tired really quickly.

I ran this morning - at 5:30 - on a treadmill, inside with fans on me...drinking water before, during and after...
2009-06-26 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2244895

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Ken in AZ - 2009-06-26 10:39 AM I remember the 80 degrees/high humidity days (I am a New Yorker)... Now, living in Phoenix -- in summer we sometimes start our days in the 80-90s, and end up in the 1-teens.  I know heat.

Some thoughts:
1.  Definitely only workout in the coolest part of the day, as early AM as possible.
2.  Indoor running, maybe even shorter bikes on the trainer.
3.  Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.
4.  Use Hammer Endurolytes.  These are a staple on my warm day workouts, I take 2 before working out and 2 every hour.  With water of course.
5.  Listen to your body... I train by HR, and if the heat is kicking, and my HR is too high, I need to slow down and lower my intensity.  Heart Rate doesn't lie.

Just my 2 cents.

ken

Lots of good points here.  Just remember to take it easy when you need to. I really wilt in the heat but have trained for three marathons during the summer.  Training in the coolest part of the day is best for your body and your recovery. Rest assured it will still be hot (I went out at 6am the other morning and still was soaked with sweat at the end) which will help you out for summer races.   You're going to acclimate over the next few weeks anyway (provided you still get out to run).

Also, do listen to your body and take out any intensity when your body just isn't cooperating. It's not worth feeling like garbage later - just get the time in or cut your losses when it's just not happening!

2009-06-26 9:56 AM

andysrc - 2009-06-26 10:46 AM What do you mean by your body is not letting you?

The heat can be rough.  Part of it is just getting acclimated.  Part of it is toughening up a bit.

Do your runs when it is coolest.  Bring some hydration with you.  Stay in shaded areas if you can.  Wear clothes that are conducive to staying cool.

Sure, part of it is "toughening up a bit", but when it comes to heat, pushing too hard can be very dangerous. I think we all need to be smart about HingTFU TOO much. I definitely slow down when it's hot, carry water, run when it's cooler, wear a visor or hat, try to stay in shady bits, wear sunscreen, light wicking clothing, etc. But some days it's not safe to "toughen up".

2009-06-26 9:58 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
while passing a bank temp sign on my ride last night  the sign read 105 degrees.. It might not be completely accurate but we are having 100 degree heat now...

during my short ride last night I ended up needing all of my 70 camelback..  the bottle on the downtube is filled with ice when I start and it doesn't take long to melt
2009-06-26 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2244981

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
wurkit_gurl - 2009-06-26 9:56 AM

Sure, part of it is "toughening up a bit", but when it comes to heat, pushing too hard can be very dangerous. I think we all need to be smart about HingTFU TOO much. I definitely slow down when it's hot, carry water, run when it's cooler, wear a visor or hat, try to stay in shady bits, wear sunscreen, light wicking clothing, etc. But some days it's not safe to "toughen up".

That makes me giggle...thanks for all the input.  I agree - sometimes HingTFU could just be bad!  I guess it makes me feel a little bit better that i'm not just imagining things...but ARRRGGGHHH!!!
2009-06-26 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2244885

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
kat_astrophe - 2009-06-26 8:38 AM
I really hate the heat too.  My idea of a "perfect day" is with highs somewhere in the mid-60s, ...

I was in Dallas, Texas early this week for a couple days and I'd planned on doing some running but was too injured after a bike crash in my race Sunday. After actually feeling the heat again, I don't think I'd have run anyway. For someone who has adjusted to mountain weather, the Texas heat is oppressive. I'm so heat averse now, I can't believe I did four seasons of 6-weeks of football two-a-days there in college...

You're right though, I always adapted to the heat pretty quickly for exercise but I could just never get my body cooled back down even though I had a pool.

Our highs here are running mid-60s - mid-70s now and it's wonderful. I rode three hours yesterday and I don't think I sweated at all nor was I cold at all. The downside is that I race in Denver where it can get hot and since I'll never be able to adjust to heat, my performance will be heavily weather dependent.
2009-06-26 12:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
Okay in Memphis we have the heat and the humidity all summer long 95+ degrees for the last couple of weeks with heat index over 100. It sucks every year, but you get used to it. Sometimes you even tell yourself you enjoy it (or at least prefer it over bitter cold).

Train like you race - I know you need to be careful and listen to your body and not overdo the HTFU, but if you are going to race in the heat, then I think at some of your trainnig should be in the heat (unless your race will be over before the heat becomes full force) . Better to have mild difficulty during training than to have a major blowup in a race because you haven't acclimated, IMO. 

2009-06-26 12:51 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
we've been in the low to high 90s for the past few weeks, but the worst part of it is the humidity (georgia). I have been running about once a week during lunch to acclimate myself. i run 3 mile loops, part of which is shaded and there are plenty of places to stop for water.

it is f'n hawt, and i bet that i lose about 3-5lbs of water before i'm done...

i'm primarily doing this b/c i know it's going to be hot during my HIM later this year. i'd hate to get to the run when it's mid to high 80s (and starting to heat up) and have to rely on training that was primarily conducted in an AC'd gym on a treadmill. just sayin.

just be careful doin' it! the heat is unforgiving.
2009-06-26 12:56 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
Just finished a short run here in North Carolina ... temp near 90.

For some reason, I kind of enjoy running in the heat. I try to run mid-late morning since that is normally when I'll be running during my summer races.

I really try to hydrate before going out for my run, and have carried a bottle with me when I go out on longer runs (rarely). After the run, I like to replenish with some coconut water ... it is a great natural-rehydrant.

As others have said, take it easy, find the shade, and try to enjoy it. But I definately wouldn't avoid running when it's hot, if you plan to race when it is hot. I have seen a lot of people really affected by the heat in races, because they rarely train in it.

As for the bike, it is never too hot for me to ride. Since you can more easily carry water with you, and you get the constant 20mph breeze cooling you a down a little.
2009-06-26 12:57 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
The Heat only had two draft picks, Nos. 42 and 60, so I do expect them to do much with those. So no issue here. Laughing
2009-06-26 1:02 PM
in reply to: #2244981

wurkit_gurl - 2009-06-26 9:56 AM

andysrc - 2009-06-26 10:46 AM What do you mean by your body is not letting you?

Yeah, that's a fair point.  I guess that's why I asked what was meant by "my body won't let me."  There's a difference between being tired because of the heat and putting yourself in danger.

Which brings up another point.  Learn the signs of heat stroke and dehydration.  If you stop sweating or feel cold and disoriented, stop your workout. 
2009-06-26 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Upper 90's to low 100's for the past 3+ weeks in Austin, TX.  HTFU

2009-06-26 1:14 PM

New user

Springfield
I am in Illinois as well, downstate though and the humidity is a killer.  I struggle as a non-runner to put in 3 miles at a 11 minute pace, on a good day, but have been trying to get outside as much as possible because I know my two races this year, in July and August, will be just as bad.

That being said, I did purchase a meshy sort or hat for running that works well.  I don't normally like wearing hats while I am running, it seems to make matters worse, but this one keeps the sun out of my eyes and doesn't make my head sweat any worse.  In addition, I have been alternating between 5:00 AM and 8:30 PM.  It seems to be better in the evenings as the sun is down and even though the humidity is still high it is more than tolerable. 

My fitness center has really low ceilings over the treadmills and I swear it is worse than being out in the sun.
2009-06-26 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2244886

User image

Master
Chicago

lkc01234 - 2009-06-26 9:38 AM Yeah...I know it's hotter elsewhere - - but it's  abig change.  Yesterday it said "88, feels like 102".  I'm not trying to run outside!  That's just crazy...but I still need to build up my running for my first tri in a few weeks - - how can I do that if my body is just not letting me...what am I doing wrong??

I hate to state the obvious, but you ARE doing a race in a few weeks...more than likely, if it's here, there is a REALLY good chance that it will be the same temp we are at now or HOTTER! No time like the present to suck it up and get used to it...trust me, I know how bad it can be...I've been a runner since the age of 13 and the only way to get used to it, train in it.  But like the others said, be smart and be safe.  I would hate for you to be inside all these training sessions, and come the day of the race, it's hotter than a monkey's azz outside, and you have issues.

GOOD LUCK and know we are all suffereing with ya!

Edited by miami9296 2009-06-26 1:20 PM
2009-06-26 1:22 PM
in reply to: #2245818

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

miami9296 - 2009-06-26 1:19 PM

lkc01234 - 2009-06-26 9:38 AM Yeah...I know it's hotter elsewhere - - but it's  abig change.  Yesterday it said "88, feels like 102".  I'm not trying to run outside!  That's just crazy...but I still need to build up my running for my first tri in a few weeks - - how can I do that if my body is just not letting me...what am I doing wrong??

I hate to state the obvious, but you ARE doing a race in a few weeks...more than likely, if it's here, there is a REALLY good chance that it will be the same temp we are at now or HOTTER! No time like the present to suck it up and get used to it...trust me, I know how bad it can be...I've been a runner since the age of 13 and the only way to get used to it, train in it.  But like the others said, be smart and be safe.  I would hate for you to be inside all these training sessions, and come the day of the race, it's hotter than a monkey's azz outside, and you have issues.

GOOD LUCK and know we are all suffereing with ya!

x2.  BTW, how hot is monkey's azz?? Undecided

2009-06-26 1:23 PM
in reply to: #2245801

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I struggle a lot in the heat.  I think that growing up in Minnesota and being very pale skin has made me ill-prepared for any real heat.  I do a lot of what others are saying with water, shade, etc.  I have to get used to this, or learn to cope, because I am running the Ragnar relay in August and it will be hot. 

I went on a run last Friday after work, which is definitely the hottest part of the day around here.  One thing that helped on this run was to wear the lightest, most technical, clothes that I own.  I wore a white under armour wicking top, and pink running shorts (the nylony kind with built in brief).  Normally I wear a darker top and black shorts.  It seemed to make a huge difference.

And for those of you who think that HTFU is sufficient to overcome this, I invite you to visit me in February.  Heck, people think 50 degrees is cold other some parts of the country I hear.  Try 25 BELOW ZERO.  It's totally doable, but you can maybe understand why the heat is difficult for someone  like me.

Edited to add:  See my profile pic?  I am actually tan in that shot.  You should see me when I'm pale

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2009-06-26 1:24 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone else having issues with the heat?? Rss Feed  

of 2