Tremont Park District
80sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 3s
Overall Rank = 45/163
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/17
Pre-race routine:

Got to race site around 5 a.m. Helped the T3 Team set up transition areas, put fencing up, etc. Ate banana, oatmeal to go bar, water and coffee for breakfast.
Event warmup:

Didn't get any warm-up swim in, but got out on the bike for about a 1 mile spin or so. Other than that, most of the time was spent helping get everything set-up.
Swim
  • 08m 27s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out really well on the swim. The T3 guys were fortunate enough to go out first and I got the #1 bib. Told the guys that was the only time I was ever getting that bid number, so I was stoked! haha Swam in the same lane as Pat. Probably kept pace with him or about the firs 200, then he started to pull away. It was nice cause it really forced me to push on the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Would have loved to break 8:00, but the good news is, I think I'm getting a little quicker in the pool - now time to get faster in a lake! haha More pool and OWS time!
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

T1 was slow for me - should have been around a 1:30 or so. Fumbled through some stuff - Nick and I were racked together and came out of the swim together - made for some tight quarters since he was racked next to me, but didn't lose a lot there. Lost time on mounting the bike.

Run to the mount line! haha Mounted to soon, had to get off, then couldn't get my feet clipped back in - a mess!
Bike
  • 38m 9s
  • 12.9 miles
  • 20.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Froze my water bottles the night before - mistake. Didn't get my first hit of water until 6 miles into the ride - bad news on a HOT day! And we went out early - haha. Ride went good otherwise - run about what I have been doing in TTs and was over 20 mph like Tri-Shark - would like to get over the 21 hurdle though.

Never freezing water bottles again! lol
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

CRAMPS!!! As soon as I lifted my leg to cross-over my bike - the right calf locked. I got off the bike and racked it - through my running hat on and tried to do a quick stretch. Ya, didn't work.

:48 seconds was pretty quick considering there was stretching and walking through T2.
Run
  • 25m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Took a water bottle with me on the run do to the heat. I made it out of T2 with calf still cramping. Made it about 100 yards into the run and both legs locked. I used a parked car to stretch both calves - hit my water bottle hard and took off - cramps let go about the 3/4 mile mark. Was surprised with my run time considering the cramps, so not complaining there.

Overall, I'm pleased with my run. I prolly could have pushed slightly more, but didn't want to cramp again.
Post race
Warm down:

Followed the last biker on the course. Then followed her on the run course and brought her on in! Great job - was an awesome feeling watching these folks battle through the conditions.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Can't really bitch too much. I was >9 minutes faster than my time in the same race last year - my first. I know I am improving and that is what matters the most to me. Maybe one of these years, I can be fast to - and give honor to the 1 Dog bib!

Event comments:

Didn't get a chance to hang out. I had family in town to watch me race and I am leaving for Texas on Monday, so I wanted to spend some time with them. Was awesome to see everyone help out and step up - a lot of my volunteers were newbies to the sport and they had a blast!

Last updated: 2008-12-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:27 | 400 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 0/163
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: Tremont Pool - lane swim. Each athlete had a 1/2 lane - down andback - 16 lengths.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:07
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:38:09 | 12.9 miles | 20.29 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:50 | 03.11 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Flat - out and back!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2009-06-27 8:47 PM

User image

Subject: Tremont Triathlon

2009-06-28 1:51 AM
in reply to: #2247760

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Tremont Triathlon
Great Job on the race. You guys did well despite having to help with the race. Great race you all at T3 should be proud!!!See you in 3 weeks.
2009-06-28 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2247985

User image

Appreciate it man......................ya, it was kinda a "whirlwind" last couple days with all the race prep and set-up, but hey, I still PR'd even with cramps out of T2.........so can't complain too much all things considered.
2009-06-28 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2247760

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Nice race man.  Congrats on PR.  Have fun in Texas.  Hurry home, we've got some training to do....
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tremont Triathlon Rss Feed