General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Padden Triathlon - Competitive Division Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Padden Triathlon - Competitive Division - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bellingham, Washington
United States
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 04m 16s
Overall Rank = 71/261
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 6/18
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:50, ate a whole wheat bagel with honey and a banana, threw my stuff in the car, and started the >1 hour drive to the race site. I brought 20oz of Gatorade Endurance in the car with me and finished it on the way. I had so much time before the race (8:30 start) that I ended up getting hungry again and had to eat a granola bar that I brought with me.
Event warmup:

Got to the race site at 6:45. Picked up my packet, got body marked, and set up my transition area fairly quickly. I had a bunch of downtime before the race so I found Trevor and wished him good luck. Did a short half mile warm-up run then put on the wetsuit for a quick swim. Both warm-ups went great and I was feeling ready to race.
Swim
  • 12m 37s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

They started the swim in self-seeded waves of 50. I wanted to get into the third (of seven) waves but wasn't able to make it into the starting chute until wave 4. With only 50 people and a lack of a defined starting chute in the water there ended up being a long two/three person deep line. I was in the outside middle in the second row. After my incredibly painful swim at Issaquah I was focused on not going out too fast and maintaining a steady rhythm.

The start was uneventful and I was able to get some open water around me after 100 meters. It was about then that I sighted for the first time and discovered just how hard the out portion of the out-and-back was going to be. Due to the self-seeded waves everyone had their choice of wearing an orange or green swim cap. Therefore, half of the people were wearing green caps. It just so happens that the turn-around buoy (and the only buoy on the course) was also green. My first sight gave me a sensory overload of green and from then on I had to sight every few strokes to make sure I was headed at the buoy and not another swimmers head (especially not a swimmer that was headed back in). Due to this I noticed myself having to make a lot of course corrections on the first half of the swim.

On the way back in I managed to pick up someones feet and decided to see if I could successfully pull off drafting on the swim. I held it for about 50 meters but I kept worrying that I was going to pull too hard and run into his feet with my head. This was messing with my rhythm so I pulled off to a side and ended up swimming next to him for the rest of the way in.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I am incredibly happy with this swim. I have been working on my swimming a ton and my confidence level in the water is 1000x where it was a month ago. I finished the swim feeling good and as an added bonus the time wasn't half bad.
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

There was a nice jump up a grassy ledge and then a short run up a hill to transition. This allowed plenty of time to get the legs going again and to let the heartrate settle. I don't know why but even though I didn't feel like I was over-exerting myself on the swim I was sucking air on my way into transition. It may just be due to the excitement/adrenaline.

Get bike shoes that don't have a ratchet to cut off some time. Mayyybe get used to starting with the shoes on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 30s
  • 21 miles
  • 18.39 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a challenging bike course. There is a hill immediately out of transition and then 3 more significant hills on the course with the last one being a quarter mile or so that peaks at ~11%.

It started out fairly well with a strong climb up the first hill and then into a nice downhill section where I could push the big chain ring. However, I under-estimated my turn radius on a really tight, curvy section of the descent and came closer than one would advise to hitting a car at ~36mph. I spent the rest of that descent happily following the riders in front of me and not making any attempts to pass until the road straightened out. During this time I lost the two stronger riders that I was trying to pace off of.

About halfway in I started leapfrogging with a few other riders that looked to be in my age group. None of us could put any distance into one another so we ended up staying together for the rest of the ride more or less.

I was really surprised when I saw 1:00 on my bike computer and I was just getting to the final crazy hill. I thought I was maintaining a lot more speed than that but I guess the hills were taking a bigger bite out of my time than I thought. I managed to power up the crazy hill out of the saddle with the help of some awesome high energy fans along the road. The 1 mile false flat into transition was a nice recovery before the run.

Nutrition on the bike consisted of ~20oz of Gatorade Endurance (125 cal) and most of one gel (100 cal).

Not almost crash. That really spooked me and slowed me way down for a few miles.

My time on the bike has suffered a bit in the past few weeks due to vacations and other commitments. I need to get back on track with my bike training and start putting in some higher mileage.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Went smoothly. Not much I would change here.
Run
  • 40m 47s
  • 5.2 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs did not want anything to do with the run. This was unexpected as I had done a brick on this course the weekend before without any real issues. I had to start out at what felt like a slow shuffle and work into my rhythm. The hills on the back portion of the course actually helped get my legs loosened up and my breathing under control and after the first 1.5 miles or so I was feeling a lot better.

The second lap went a lot smoother and I was able to reel in a lot of the people that passed me coming out of transition. Coming into the finish line I was feeling great about my day and was already starting to think about my next race. I was a few minutes off my goal time but it was a very challenging course and I was able to see my training pay off (especially in the swim).

I don't know. My pace was slower than I was hoping but I felt good about the run once my legs started working. Overall, I am happy with how the run turned out given how it started.
Post race
Warm down:

Stopped over at the food tent and was pleasantly surprised by the presence of muffins! I went through two big poppyseed muffins, a banana, and a lot of water. Stuck around to enjoy the weather and cheer on the participants in the recreational division race at 1pm.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of bike focus in my training lately.

Last updated: 2009-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:37 | 800 meters | 01m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 0/261
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Full
Course: Out and back. 1 buoy on the far side of the lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:08:30 | 21 miles | 18.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/18
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Loop around Lake Samish then up through Bellingham and back to Lake Padden. Pretty rough roads for the first half. Hilly.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:47 | 05.2 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/18
Performance: Below average
Course: Two laps around Lake Padden. Gravel trail with fairly steep rolling hills on the back portion of each loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-28 1:19 AM

User image

Subject: Lake Padden Triathlon - Competitive Division

2009-06-28 10:00 PM
in reply to: #2247959

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Lake Padden Triathlon - Competitive Division
Nice race on what it a pretty tough course. It was a beautiful day.
2009-06-29 11:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Great job! It sounds like they have decided not to do the green swim caps next year.
2009-06-29 12:19 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Good Race Report. 
2009-06-29 2:32 PM

User image

Seattle
Good race. Great job on the swim. A definite improvement from Issaquah. More bricks may help on the bike/run. It's getting easier for me as I do more.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Padden Triathlon - Competitive Division Rss Feed