EST events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 16s
Overall Rank = 15/206
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/20
Pre-race routine:

had my usual largish breakfast...all my stuff was already packed at Joannes except hydration...that was nice. We got a bit lost finding the park but had plenty of time once we got there. We got our stuff, and set up transition. Jo decided to not race due to her calf injury. Boo.
Event warmup:

Just swam for a couple minutes before the first wave went (mine was last). Had a gu about 25 minutes before my start...I was HUNGRY!
Swim
  • 19m 5s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

This swim was the roughest I've ever had in open water. The buoy's were moving, and I was really glad I wore my wetsuit. I did breast 3 times while navigating, which in calmer waters I wouldn't have to do. I'm still pretty happy with the swim though, considering the chop.
What would you do differently?:

not much...drink less of the lake? :-)
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Thank goodness Sunshine was in t1 at the same time...I ran right past my bike, and she pointed me to the red devil! :-)

make a better mental note of bike racking (was on grass...couldn't use the chalk trick) I forgot to put my left pedal down to click in my shoe...I always put in the left first, and totally whiffed on that today.
Bike
  • 32m 59s
  • 10.7 miles
  • 19.46 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt pretty good on this ride...I don't think I messed up any shifting, and other than the fact that there were a lot of 1st time tri peeps out riding in the middle of the lane,(lots of "I'm on your LEFT") it was a good ride for me. Took a gu at about mile 8.5 to help me on the run.

I took my feet out of the shoes a bit early, so I need to work on that to keep the speed up at the end of the race. I hit a couple spots where I let my cadence slow, and I want to do better with that too.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

This was an ok transition for me. Somebody did it in .47 though, so lots of room for improvement...STILL! Not bad though.

MOVE FASTER!
Run
  • 25m 16s
  • 3.12 miles
  • 08m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow, I am sooo happy with this run! I am a flatlander, and I had a great pace going on the trail. I think really need to keep running through the water stations if it's not hot (it wasn't this morning) and that would keep me on pace...I slowed (I think) on the paved portion, till I knew I was within the 1 mile mark...then I just went for it! Woo Hoo!

Not much except maybe skip the h20
Post race
Warm down:

ran past the chip folks straight to the food! ;-) Kept jogging for a couple minutes to bring my hr down. Got water, a banana, eas drink and walked till I found Jason and Jamie! Stretched about 25 minutes later and kept drinking.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

drinking on the run, slowish wetsuit removal, lack of practice on t1 and t2

Event comments:

For a first time event, it was pretty good, but there is room for improvement. I think with so many beginners, they should have had finisher medals. The t area should be secured and policed during the race better, they need a little better organization on the day of for folks who skip the Saturday packet pick up. I am sure EST will only improve!

It was great to race with fellow Hounds Sunshine and Toni! They did a great job and it was fun to be racing with teamates even though it wasn't a team supported race! I was realy bummed for Joanne though...she was really wanting to do the DU and rock out on her new bike. :-(

I liked the all girl vibe, but I gotta say, I did miss the eye candy passing me by out on the course!!! ;-)

Last updated: 2009-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:05 | 800 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/20
Overall: 24/206
Performance: Good
this time included the LOOOOONG run up to transition which is where the mat was located. Actual out of the water time was 17:02 according to the polar watch 162 max hr, 157 avg.
Suit: Blue Seventy full wetsuit
Course: long out and back The buoys were moving...I was in the last wave...it seemed like a long 800M to me!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:32:59 | 10.7 miles | 19.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/20
Overall: 12/206
max hr 173, avg hr 165
Wind: Some
Course: This was a nice rolling course with no real big hills to speak of. The roads were a tad rough in spots, but overall, a nice bike course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:16 | 03.12 miles | 08m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/20
Overall: 51/206
max hr 183 avg 173
Course: first 1.5 miles is on a shady trail with some hills, second half of course is mostly flat park road with a nice downhill finish!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-28 7:54 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: She-Rocks

2009-06-28 8:33 PM
in reply to: #2248933

User image

Veteran
Grass Lake, MI
Subject: RE: She-Rocks
Awesome job out there Trish!!  Congrats on the AG win
2009-06-29 12:06 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Way to be Trish!  Sounds like it was a pretty good event.  Congrats on the finish!

"What would you do differently?:

MOVE FASTER!"

~I love it!
2009-07-01 7:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Canton, MI

Ummm...you are fast. 

That is all.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!