General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Race - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Philadelphia Triathlon, LLC
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 48m 27s
Overall Rank = 924/1921
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 153/256
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00......picked up my friend Pat at his house in Chadds Ford after a swing by wawa for some coffee..drank some Vitamin water and ate a Detour protein bar...drove to Philly and drank a bit of water....set up transition about 5:30 or so...big race!
Event warmup:

Not much...really just ride the bus to the swim start at the St. Joes boathouse..
Swim
  • 27m 39s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not my strongest event...I tend to hold back a bit here and I didn't sight real well...I ended up too far to my right at one point and had to come back in.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get up closer to the front and sight better..I'm not a completely weak swimmer...
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

I seem to do pretty well in transition..my times are always in line with racers who place ahead of me...I am always very organized and I do run through and out..

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 4s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.62 mile/hr
Comments:

So this was my best event at this race...my bike has gotten stronger even though I was still 874 of 1900...the hills took my legs I think...I was trying to target 20MPH but only ended at 18.5...I just can't seem to break through yet to the 20+ class.

It's just more training and stronger bricks...my next race is a 'half-mini' and the 41 mile bike is going to be tough.
Transition 2
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

Another pretty good transition...organized and I moved very quickly.

Nothing.
Run
  • 56m 9s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

So..this is where I thought I would excell and I crashed and burned...the legs just wouldn't go...I had significant cramping in my hamstrings a mile or so in....and then the quads later on...it was tough....I'm really frustrated by this....I don't know if it's the lack of training or nutrition...have to solve this for the next race...I thought I could run sub 8:30's.....since that's what I've been gunning for...9"s wasn't what I had in mind...but I guess it's not terrible with all the walking and stretching I had to do to get the lactic out....

Have to figure out why I cramped so much...I tried not to kill it on the bike so I would have fresher legs...no such luck...
Post race
Warm down:

Just waited with my friends at the finish and looked for my bud Pat to complete the race....ate some tomato pie a banana and drank some water and gatorade...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Two things seemed to hamper me....the swim I could have done better..I sold myself short on it again...and the run...the camps...so I have to solve that problem before the next race.

Event comments:

Really a great challenging race. This was my first Oly distance and I'm disappointed in some aspects but also please that I continue to see some improvement.

Last updated: 2008-11-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:39 | 1500 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/256
Overall: 1270/1921
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Straight shot from the St. Joe's boathouse to the exit.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:35
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:20:04 | 24.85 miles | 18.62 mile/hr
Overall: 874/1921
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Two loop course in Fairmont park and around the Art Museum. Have to navigate basically 7 hills...and there was a really nasty dead animal smell at one point on the course...gross..
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:56:09 | 06.21 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 1031/1921
Performance: Below average
Course: Pretty flat out and back course...had to run on grass at points as well...very open so it also gets very hot as the sun beats down on you
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-28 8:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Subject: Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Race

2009-06-29 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2249057

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Race
That's a great job in your first oly, Phil!  That run is always harder than it seems it should be with that sun beating down on you over the second half.  Training for the 'half mini' should make this distance seem easier in the future.

I remember that smell on the bike going up one of the hills.  Phewie! 
2009-06-30 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2249057

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Subject: RE: Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Race

JK,

Man, that smell was NAAASTY! You are strong man...I have work to do but it's a marathon not a sprint...i blew that easy swim too by not sighting properly in the first 500m...got too far to my right and had to come back and it cost me...

Catch you at the Y.

Phil

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Race Rss Feed