General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Ironman next year?... questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-28 9:24 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: Half Ironman next year?... questions
Hi All,
Just a few questions if you don't mind.
This is my second year doing tris and I completed my first Olympic distance race last week including a 30 mile bike vs 24.  I was so worried about the race but actually did better then I thought I would. I wasn't fast but I was able to pace myself and actually felt better after it then many of the sprints I have done. ( I am sure a flat run course helped with that immensely!)
So now my positive experience with the Olympic race has me thinking about a HIM.  I would need to give myself a year of training as my run is my weakest event (I am slow) and I wouldn't want to suffer through the the whole run.
My questions are..
1.What would be a good first HIM to do? ( I am open to travelling to get there). A flat run course would be a HUGE plus!!

2. Are there certain races that are more "beginner friendly" for first time HIM participants?(maybe wishful thinking there)

3.How quick do you have to sign up for them?

While I would prefer a wetsuit legal race due to the added buoyancy I don't want to freeze.

It makes me nervous just thinking about this but I can't get it out of my head.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Kathleen

2009-06-28 9:36 PM
in reply to: #2249129

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Half Ironman next year?... questions
Congrats on the Oly! It's always so great to exceed your goal. Sounds like you're on track for a good HIM. I have only done one HIM, Ironman New Orleans 70.3 and I can't recommend it enough. The setting is just perfect for a travel race and the course is relatively flat if that's what you're looking for. The swim is really nice, in Lake Pontchartrain and really wide so there's lots of open space. The bike is on fully closed roads, really rare for any race. The run is pretty scenic throughout. The finish in the French Quarter is by far the coolest thing I've ever experienced.

Plus travel/accommodations there were incredibly affordable. I'm spending way more to drive to Ironman Rhode Island 70.3 and don't even have bike shipping to worry about. So all in all I think it would be a great first HIM and a fun one as well! I have a detailed race report on it if you want more info.
2009-06-28 9:39 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
1. There are LOTS of HIMs, go to the race directory here and/or www.trifind.com and you can look by state and time of year that would work for you.  Speaking from some races I've been to, and if you're looking for an early one and a VERY well run HIM, you can't get too much flatter than the Lonestar HIM in Galveston in April.  Wetsuit legal, but not freezing cold (it's Texas and nearly May--we pretty much start summer sometime in May).
2. Any HIM that you go to that is by a reputable race director should work well for you....you will see people of all experience levels at them, so don't worry too much about the "beginner" friendly if you will.  What is important is that you can train for it well.  You've done other races, so it's not like you don't know how this works--you're just making a longer day of it!
3. Signing up for them varies on how popular the race is.  Some don't fill up, and some fill up really soon after they go online for registration--it really is dependent upon what race it is that you're looking at doing.  But, once you find some you're looking at, go to the State Forum for that race here on BT and ask in there and hopefully someone answers.

Nervousness isn't a bad thing--unless you're right before a race for which you haven't properly trained!

Good luck in your hunt for the right race!
2009-06-28 9:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
If you are inclined to travel, Rapperwil 70.3 (Zurich, Switzerland) is a really well organized race. Tons of support and great scenery.
2009-06-28 10:19 PM

User image

Champion
MA
You live in CO, ideally you'll pick a race that easy to train for given the weather where you live. Early season HIM means lots of time on the trainer or riding when it is cold. My suggestion is look for one late June or later in the year.

HIMs tend in general to bring out more serious triathletes. Not that they aren't beginner friendly but I see a different type of folks in a overall sense.

A great HIM to do is one that you know other folks that are doing it as well. Some of the larger HIMs lots and lots of BT folks sign up, sometimes a year ahead. It give you time to connect through the HIM thread with others and makes some new friends that will really enhance your race experience.

All races have positives and negatives. Flat courses often are windy, ocean swims and can be hot runs. That may appeal to you but may not. Read some race reports of races you are intrigued by and see what different levels of BTers think of the race. If you are a 15 mph biker if a 20 mph person says the course is easy it may not feel that way to you. Best way is to find someone with similar abilities as you to see how it was for them, but read as many as possible to get the flavor of the race. Lots of resources here on BT for you.
2009-06-28 10:49 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Hi - Sounds like you enjoyed Lake-to-Lake.  I don't know if it is "easy" or sensible what have you, but you kind of sound like you are doing a similar progression to what I did.  I did a sprint my first year, an oly my second year and a HIM my third year.  In the third year I did Loveland Lake-to-Lake and then did Harvest Moon in September - that would give you 15 months to get ready.

I enjoy that race and Racing Underground did a really good job with it.  They sold it to someone else this year, but hopefully it will only continue its "tradition"  with that said,
The swim is in Aurora Res which can be cold that time of year - (58 the first year I did it and upper 60's the second year)
The bike course is out on Quincy and then HWY 36 from Watkins to Bennett.  I think it is easier thatn Loveland bike course overall.  The run course is around the res and out on the dam.  There is one hill at the 10mile mark that could be kind of rude if you have not prepared for the distance but overall it is a fair course.  ( I have my Half Mary PR on that course.   )

Wouldn't even take traveling, just an early morning, but not too bad, the gates don't open til 6:00 am

Good luck with whatever you decide

2009-06-29 9:16 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
If you live in Highlands Ranch I would just do the 5430 HIM in Boulder next year.  It's always in August, so there's always plenty of time to train.  And it's about as flat as Colorado gets.  The run is particularly flat from what I remember.  Lots of it on gravel/dirt.  The bike has some gentle inclines on the first part of the loop and then the second half of the loop is downhill.  Two loop course.  And the swim is typically wetsuit legal.

Heck, sign up for the whole 5430 triology....it's fun!

It's a well-run event...so that's good for a first timer.  However, the competition is FIERCE.  That's the only downside for a first timer at this event...it's Boulder...and everyone takes their racing very very seriously!  But just stay out of their way at the swim start and you'll be fine.
2009-06-30 12:04 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Thank you everyone for your advice and encouragement!
I have a lot to look into and think about and you have given me a lot to work with.
I do know about both the Harvest Moon and 5430 long course. Boulder is a bit intimidating but  yes, I should be just focusing on me and not worry about the others. Besides they will be long gone and I would have the course to myself
Again, thanks for all the suggestions. I do appreciate it.
Kathleen
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Ironman next year?... questions Rss Feed