Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/10
Pre-race routine:

Slept well (one advantage of not sleeping well the night before) and got up at 5:30. Ate a banana and drank some water, got ready, and we were loading the car just before 6. Ate a Luna bar and drank coffee en route. Got to the race site around 6:15 and set up our stuff, then walked down to the lake to see just how far the trek from the lake to transition was (quite far indeed). Walked back and wetsuited up and ate a gel before the pre-race meeting. Trekked BACK to the lake afterwards...contemplated stopping at the portajohn one last time on the way but didn't want to go in one with bare feet. In retrospect, I should've anyway.
Event warmup:

Got in the water and got a few strokes in. Then stood in line on the beach for the start, which wound up being a bit late.
Swim
  • 12m 27s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

This had a time trial start - first race I've ever done with that. Once it was my turn to start, I hit the water running and dove once it was deep enough. Water felt great (though...perhaps not the cleanest) and I quickly fell into a comfortable rhythm. Rest of the swim went fairly well - I *think* I sighted pretty well and kept a comfortable, not hard, pace. Never really was close enough to anyone to draft. Decent, uneventful swim overall.
What would you do differently?:

I thought my time would've been faster than this; so either I didn't push hard enough or perhaps the course was a hair long. If it was the former, I guess that was ok, since as it was my bike performance was subpar.
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

After the looooong haul to transition (1:38), the rest of it went fairly smoothly.

Nothing. Maybe someday I'll try keeping my shoes on the pedals and/or a flying mount, but today wasn't that day.
Bike
  • 49m 21s
  • 13.75 miles
  • 16.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Ugh, my weakest link. I simply wasn't prepared for all the hills (the entire ride) or the nasty headwind on the way back. I know I don't spend enough time on the bike (it's just not my favorite, and is more time-consuming than running and swimming imo). I enjoy it, but it's just harder to get myself out on it enough (I also think the bike itself is a bit of a limiter, but a new one or better components is NOT in this year's budget). Nonetheless, I felt like my bike fitness had actually improved a bit going into this race. Oh well. Just not my day or course. It wasn't awful, I just would like to see myself do better. Pushed on the downhills and tried not to wear out my legs completely on the uphills. The headwind on the way back was a KILLER. Even with aerobars. Planned to eat a gel around mile 8, but when I reached for it I found it had fallen out of my tri top pocket at some point (something I had a feeling would happen, since the pockets weren't the most secure). Drat. Good thing it was only a sprint! Hydrated well, at least.

Ride. Bike. More.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Again, someday I'd like to learn a flying dismount. But not today. Made it back to the rack quickly and racked my bike quickly...but after I got my rear wheel in the rack, one of the bikes on the other side fell over. Not wanting to be a jerk, I took a couple seconds to pick it up and re-rack it. Switched shoes quickly, grabbed my visor and race belt, and ran out.

Nothing, I guess...not having to pick up another bike would've been good. I think the other bike wasn't in the rack properly, so I don't think it was entirely my fault that it fell over. I hate those weird foldable rear tire racks.
Run
  • 27m 24s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

As usual, felt like I was moving sloooow though I knew I was actually running faster than it felt. Held back a little in the beginning to get my HR under control. Most of the run was in direct sunlight and it was getting quite warm, but thankfully the wind that I cursed on the bike helped keep me cool. Decided early on that my Yankz (that I just put in my newer shoes) were way too tight. My stomach was also telling me I should've taken the opportunity to hit the portajohn before the race started, but oh well. Just kept telling it to hold on for a couple more miles. Managed to pass quite a few people, and only had 1 or 2 pass me. Actually felt fairly strong toward the end of the run. Because I had missed out on the gel on the bike, I took Gatorade at every other aid station (so, twice - they had a lot of aid stations set up!) and water at the others. I think that worked perfectly. Cranked up the pace quite a bit when a woman yelled "just a minute left, right around the corner!" - she was right, as that was just before the 3 mile mark. Finished strong.

Splits:
1 - 8:55
2 - 9:02
3 - 8:44
. 1 - :43

Not much. Pretty pleased with this run, all considered.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around while I waited for Travis to finish. Then walked around some more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ah. Training hasn't been the BEST so far this year, but it hasn't been awful. Running a 5K yesterday (albeit not hard) probably didn't help, but oh well. It was important to me to run the 5K. For the first tri of the season, this wasn't terrible.

Event comments:

For a small race in a small place, this was very well done. RD made a point to personally thank people packing up in transition afterwards. Fairly spectator friendly. Lots of volunteers. Disappointed not to receive a shirt, but the now-ubiquitous reusable shopping bag, Yankz, and race number belt were at least useful goody bag items. I'd do this race again.

Last updated: 2009-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:27 | 600 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex3 john
Course: Rectangular...turns marked by giant yellow inflatable ducks
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:36
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:21 | 13.75 miles | 16.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/10
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out and back; most of it was along a road with nothing but rolling hills...and by rolling, I mean large and nonstop.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:24 | 03.11 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/10
Course: Around the far side of the lake, then out to the main road and around a golf course and back to the park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-28 9:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon

2009-06-29 10:18 PM
in reply to: #2249141

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon
Great job d00d!!! Not bad swag.
2009-06-30 7:05 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Good job out there.  i'm sad I missed it this year.  Maybe next year.

2009-06-30 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Nice job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed