General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike and Running Routes Near Ft. Hood/Killeen? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-29 9:15 AM

User image

Subject: Bike and Running Routes Near Ft. Hood/Killeen?
I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple of people from around the Ft. Hood/Killeen area and I was wondering where you go to do your bike and run training? Any good routes in the area? Any places to avoid? I just got back last week and am looking forward to training again. Just not sure where there are any good areas at. As big as Ft. Hood is I'm sure there are some good routes out here so what have you got?

- Rob

2009-06-29 12:27 PM
in reply to: #2249771

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: Bike and Running Routes Near Ft. Hood/Killeen?
First off-WELCOME BACK!
I'm here at Hood.  For the cycling, there is a Ft. Hood Team Army cycling club (active, retired, civilians, quite a group) and they meet on Thurs/Sat/Suns for rides, some in combination with local bike clubs (Team Roadkill from Copperas Cove). They have a Facebook page where they announce the upcoming rides, etc. Look for Team Army Ft. Hood (or something like that).
As for riding on your own, Copperas Cove's Chamber of Commerce website lists several bike routes of various lengths and difficulties.  Clear Creek is a pretty good route, especially earlier or most times from the Stan Schlueter to 195 intersection and back. Off Clear Creek you can head back on Ivy Mountain Road and hit some other back roads that are pretty good for riding, but also pretty isolated. 
On Ft. Hood, you can get some great climbing by riding East and West Range roads in a loop (they connect up near N. Ft. Hood), Old Ironsides/Hell on Wheels is about an 8-9 mile loop of good pavement and not too hilly, and also heading out towards BLORA is a decent ride.
The Bell County Bike club has several rides, and one starts at 0800 from Lion's Park on Saturday's and goes out about 40 miles with a variety of speeds in the group.

Running--I run in my neighborhood a lot (Bridgewood) as I can easily get a lot of mileage in, the streets are wide, and fairly safe.  I also have run on Clear Creek from Bridgewood to 195 and back for a good 10 mile loop.  A friend of mine will run on Maxdale--but that is more like trail running if you're into that.  Of course, there is 2 mile Corps loop on post.

The Southwind Runner's Club (they have an online site) meet and run in various locations (I haven't run with them so, I can't comment much) in the area as well.
2009-07-03 11:02 AM

User image

Expert

I agree with MPGal that Clear Creek is a pretty good route if you can ride it during low traffic times. Stan Schlueter is also a wide street, but it can get congested at rush hour. I love the BLORA Lake route, but the wind can be just brutal at times. I haven't checked out the riding clubs yet, but I know some people who have and they said it is a pretty good group of cyclists.

Welcome back.

2009-07-03 11:13 AM

User image

Expert

I am currently on detail as the Head Lifeguard/Supervisor of Thomas Pool, which is the NCO pool right behind the Phantom Warrior Club/Backbone Club. Just come by and ask for me. Sometimes I bring my bike and do swim/bike bricks on my breaks. Perhaps we can set something up.

2009-07-04 1:14 AM

User image

Sorry for disappearing for a few days.

Thanks for the tips on routes. I'll have to look in to those and drive around a bit and see what I can find as well.

@crazylegs

I'll have to stop by there some time and try and find you. Would be nice to find someone else to workout with.
2009-07-04 5:20 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Link for the Team Army Facebook site...lots of rides and events announced from here:http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/pages/Team-Army-Fort-Hood/90467271913?ref=nf
Feel free to show up and introduce yourself, lots of new people all the time!

2009-07-10 11:24 PM

User image

New user

Ft Hood, TX
I live in Killeen right next to Harker Heights and the rides down to Steelhouse Lake towards 2484 or Chapparel are great. Anytime you get south of 190 you'll have wide open roads and the traffic has been very accepting of me slowing them. I think there are a few listed under the routes option on this website and www.mapmybike.com is a fantastic utility. Depending in which area you live, there are tons of others.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike and Running Routes Near Ft. Hood/Killeen? Rss Feed