General Discussion Race Reports! » Bigfoot Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Bigfoot Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
United States
RAM Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 18m 30s
Overall Rank = 466/534
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 34/40
Pre-race routine:

Picked my spot in transition since I got there right when it opened, and I went to the area where I was TOLD it was near the bike out/bike in and run out...only, it was not the bike in part, that was at the other end, but I didn't find that out until the bike portion of the race.

Had a 1/2 bagel with pb in the car on the way up, and it was really hard for me to get down...so I didn't finish it, and just had my usual heaping tbsp full of pb instead with some orange G2.

Like I normally do, I got to transition right when it opened at 5, and got what I thought was a good end spot (due to the bike in being at the other end of the course, and not where I thought it was, turns out, not that great a spot afterall, but whatever).

Anyways, at 6:27, 3 minutes before transtion is about to close, some guy had the nerve to walk up to me and say, "Do you mind moving your stuff down so I can put my stuff here on the end?" I looked at him and said, "You cannot be serious! I got here at 5:00 to get this spot....sorry!" And he left....him and his disc wheel can go try some other sucker...not me...
Event warmup:

Jogged around...was going to get in for a swim, until I saw about 5 dead fish and it really grossed me out, so I didn't.
Swim
  • 41m 9s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

The bad start to my race started here...in the water. I did not seed myself right, was almost all the way towards the back, and I think this cost me...BIG TIME! I am a better swimmer than where I seeded myself, and I need to do better next time.

The swim was HARD! When I say it was hard, I mean at one point, I believe I had my right arm out of the water, and I was going to take a stroke, and a wave came in, and practically flipped me upside down! The waves were pretty choppy and it was parallel to the shore, making it pretty shallow, so that allowed for a lot of walking and getting tossed around in there like I was, I just got to the point where I wanted to say "screw it" and just walk.

While my time was 2:18 faster than Pleasant Prairie LY, and the conditions were far worse than that nice flat and easy swim, I KNOW it could have been faster had I just sucked it up and swam more like I KNOW I can.

The other bad thing today was, with the chop, and the buoys, I seemed to have swam too close to them, and everytime I felt like I was getting a good rhthym, I would swim into the rope or whatever was attached to the buoys in the water, and it really threw me off. Then I would try to keep swimming, and get "away" from them, but the chop kept bringing me in...uggh!

To quote what Schmize says in his RR...Big Foot: 1 Amy: 0
What would you do differently?:

Seed myself better...I know that now, so going forward, hopefully I have a better swim time.

SWIM MORE and walk less!! I know I can swim...I've done the work, and now I just have to be more confident in the water, no matter WHAT the conditions are. It was REALLY shallow in some parts though.
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

Coming out of the water, I had a really hard time pulling the cord to unzip the wetsuit...that has NEVER happened to me before. It was like I opened the velcro flap, pulled out the cord, and was pulling on it, and it wasn't coming unzipped.

I was in the 2nd to last row (closest to the bike out) so I had quite a run to my rack. The transition area was packed...

I really think me not being able to get my wetsuit unzipped threw me off...but being how far of a run I had, I don't think this was too terrible...
Bike
  • 1h 21m 50s
  • 23.61 miles
  • 17.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Hardest.Ride.Ever.

Being that I tried to ride this course last week and I got lost, there were only certain parts of it I knew. What I had NOT planned on was the 30mph winds that were going to be visting the Lake Geneva area today. I know it's hard to tell by my slow azz avg speed, but I REALLY tried to go balls out on this. I just couldn't compete with the wind. On some of the roads going West and then South, I had to come out of aero because I was almost blown off my bike. There were definately some curse words being said, under my breath, but it just was really tough out there today.

When I did finally get to go North and East, I was going lights out...about 28-30 mph, even saw at one point I as at about 35mph...cause I knew the other two directions just killed me. the funny thing was...when we changed directions, it seemed the wind did too...great...

With the winds as high as they were too on this, I noticed that my lower back and my abs were already starting to cramp up, so I knew this would not be a good sign for me for the run.

Big Foot:2 Amy: 0

I am really disappointed that I wasn't at least closer to the top of my AG in the bike...

I need to just keep at it with hill work...maybe do some hill repeats when I am out in the burbs...

And when it's windy...I have to be out there because you NEVER know what it will be like on race day.
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

So earlier I said that transition was REALLY crowded...well, being that everyone in my area was already back and on the run, no spot left for my bike, so I wasted about 10 seconds trying to squeeze Betty back on the rack until I just said, F*ck it, and leaned it up against the rack and slipped on my running shoes and grabbed my race belt and was off.

Also, with all of the people who had run through the area all wet, the grass was really sloppy, and being that I was so far away, and had to run with my bike, I really think that added some time.

Find out that bike in was at the opposite end and rack there so I don't have to run so far with the bike.
Run
  • 1h 11m 7s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

In all of my years running, which would be 23 years now (oh my Lord), I have never run this slow.

Did my stomach muscles cramp up? YEP
Were my legs tired? YEP
Did I dog this run? YEP

I haven't done a run this challenging with the hills since my high school running days. It was really hard for me...and I just walked more than I should have probably, but I was tired...exhausted actually...and I thought if I walked, I could massage my stomach to feel better...and it did from time to time, but that rugged terrain just wreaked havoc on the poor thing. It's like it was screaming, "Hello...what the hell are you doing to me??" Last week the PT doctor said he noticed pelvis misalignment and my hips "dropping" sometimes when I run, and we were worried about this with the unsteadiness of the terrain.

Mile splits: 11:49, 11:02, 11:14, 11:49, 13:21,11:05

Big Foot: 3 Amy: 0

I'm not giving up....until the doctors tell me there is nothing more they can do for me, and even than, I don't think I'd accept it. I've done almost 10 miles without pain, so I am sure there is SOMETHING we can do to try to alleviate this pain. Maybe I have to COMPLETELY change the way I run, if that will solve this issue, I'll do it. I'll do anything, but quit.

No matter how bad I do out there, I'm no quitter!

And because of that, I give myself a point!

Big Foot: 3 Amy: 1
Post race
Warm down:

How nice is this? I finish that race...I felt like crying, and who is there to greet me at the end???? Ms. Pam Grande herself...a fellow BT'er!!! I cannot tell you how much that made me smile...so happy to finally meet her. I grabbed some of the breakfast and then we waited for her to get her FIRST PLACE award for her Age Group...NICE GOING PJ!!! :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience and Training. Being that this was only my second OLY, I am still learning how these longer races differ from the Sprints I am used to.

Training wise...need to practice hills more. Period!

As far as the wind on the bike or the waves in the water...unless you practice and train in that environment, when it makes an appearance like it did today, you won't be prepared, and I wasn't.

Event comments:

Mentally, and Physically, this was my hardest race ever. I am very proud of myself for never fully giving up, even though, I think I could have pushed harder in certain areas, but to me, I am chalking it all up to it's a learning experience. Not every day is going to be your best, and that's how you grow as an athlete...a very tough day like today really makes you appreciate the good races you have.

I know I speak a lot about running these races for my mom, but today, it was 11 years ago that she passed away, and so I was really talking to her on the bike and run, asking her for strength to get through when I just wanted to say screw it....she always loved my strong finishes in races, so I made sure to kick it in to high gear for her!

Last updated: 2009-02-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:09 | 1500 meters | 02m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 35/40
Overall: 0/534
Performance: Below average
Suit: L/S Orca of Jens
Course: Out and back loop parallel to shore
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:21:50 | 23.61 miles | 17.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/40
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back, with LOTS of hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:11:07 | 06.21 miles | 11m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 38/40
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 5k loop course in hilly, woody terrain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-29 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Bigfoot Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2009-06-29 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2250511

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
Subject: RE: Bigfoot Triathlon - Olympic Distance
way to gut it out under tough conditions...  next year - Amy: 4  Big Foot:0
2009-06-29 1:24 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-06-29 1:45 PM

Master
Chicago
Way to gut it out and finish.  I thought about you guys when I was painting our deck.  The fricking wind was blowing over my paint tray.  I couldn't imagine the swim and ride in those winds.  Congrats on finishing this race.  Hopefully the next couple are better weather. 
2009-06-29 4:50 PM

Davenport, IA
Wow, that sounds like an absolutely brutal race.  Good job on making it through.  The good news to go along with this race is that it doesn't sound like it can get any worse.  You'll kick arse again in you next race.
2009-06-29 9:44 PM

Master
Chicago

Thanks guys...I appreciate the encouragement!

Ya, wind BLOWS!!

Ha...cheesy I know, but it's true! Forgot to mention that on one of those back country roads, I saw two donkeys...couldn't help but think of my Wisconsin BT'ers!!

2009-06-29 9:50 PM

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Often when you have a bad run it means that the bike took too much out of you. With that bike course, I would say that's probably what happened. But you toughed it out so nice job. Didn't you say this is only your second Olympic race? Races like these are just growing pains

That transition area was crazy, right? People were racking on the picnic tables because there were no spots. Pretty clever actually.

And yeah, NEVER give up the end spot on the rack. That's your prize for getting their early.
2009-06-29 10:10 PM

Veteran
Waukesha, WI
I was there for the Sprint, and felt every single flippin' thing you just wrote. Wetsuit wouldn't come off? Yep. Transition area crazy? Yep. Wind ALWAYS in your face on the bike? You betcha. Slowest run ever? Sure felt like it.

Congrats on finishing a really tough race all around. I was glad when it was over.
2009-06-29 11:16 PM

Master
Muskego, WI
hey sweetie!! I know (as you yourself know) your capabilities are way better than what this race showed! Look at your last race!! This was really tough, only your second Olympic, and you finished smiling and kept moving! Had to laugh about not being able to get your wetsuit off. Mine tries to take itself off, and yours won't come off!!! Your bike avg was great with the nasty wind...and like (can't remember who) said, your run fell apart cause you hammered the bike so much. Do it again next year, and it will be WAAAY better!! Thanks again for hanging around for the awards ceremony, meant alot to me!  (when I went down to Illinois, I  passed the Palatine Tri site...they were JUST starting to clean up transition area...!!!)
2009-06-30 11:22 AM

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Amy - It looks like you learned a lot about yourself out there!  And I would be pretty happy with your results.  Sure the 'Schmize' scoreboard had you down 3-1, but that 1 point is HUGE.  You have been handed a bad hand with your cramping issues and it would be pretty easy to walk away.  So glad you won't.  I always tell my kids their is winning and learning.  We don't talk about losing. 

For your second Oly, that is a great time, especially on that course, in those conditions.  Be happy and get 'em next time.  And thanks for using my scoreboard system

And isn't PJ the best?  Fast for an older lady w/ one hip [yes, I am ducking]
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bigfoot Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed