Setup Events
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 05m 47s
Overall Rank = 53/189
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/35
Pre-race routine:

got up at 4:00, drank 16 oz. of water, ate an orange and a piece of bread w/a little peanut butter, filled water bottles and drove to race drinking a cup of coffee along the way. Arrived really early and got a great parking spot. Prepped bike, used porta-pottie, and went to transition for set-up/body-mark/timing chip. Last trip to porta-potie and then warm-up. Almost forgot to leave glasses in case before swim, and did forget to take off my rings.
Event warmup:

walked 5', (jogged 2', walked 1'), jogged 9', did 3Xacceleration gliders, walked back to transition, prepped for swim, stretched, got wet - water REALLY warm!
Swim
  • 24m 59s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was really crowded and probably the most jostling I have dealt with so far. I dealt well with the crowd, but I drifted left quite a bit, especially on the way out.
What would you do differently?:

Keep working on straightness and overall speed/strength.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

I got stuck behind some slow walking people coming out of the water. Once I got around them, I had a good run in and out of transition.

I was pretty happy with this transition other than the bottle neck in the beginning, but I still need to learn how to start w/shoes already clipped in.
Bike
  • 57m 39s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 19.40 mile/hr
Comments:

I tried to really push on hills w/out over-doing my HR and I tried to shift quickly to highest gear and pick up speed quickly at the top of the hills. I was more brave on the down-hills here than I was in my training ride on the course.

I need to practice 180 degree turns to be a bit more smooth there and keep building climbing strength.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

I racked my bike and got my shoes on pretty quickly, but I started to take off w/out my gel and went back to get it. Probably lost 10 seconds or so on that.

Either take the gel on the bike or remember to grab it! Also, I need to learn to dismount while moving.
Run
  • 40m 45s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 08m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

I decided to walk the steep hill out of transition but keep going with short quick strides, trying to maintain a consistent level of effort up the long slow hill. I misjudged where I was and walked once too early before starting the second loop and should have kept jogging to the steep one. Didn't loose too much time on that, but it was not part of my plan. I had trouble seeing w/my sunglasses on in the woods, and was worried about my footing as the ground was covered in leaves and the trail was full of turns and hills. I leaned forward on the down-hill segments and felt like my pace was pretty fast there. I had a little bit of a kick left to the finish line.

Keep doing speed work to get more comfortable and efficient at a faster pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a little, drank a bottle of water, got dry clothes and towel, showered off by lake and changed, got a bit of banana and ate some trail mix, forgot to stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swim pace is still my weakest area. I was happy with my improvement on the bike.

Event comments:

Set-up Events always does a good job. It was well organized. I love the shirt that we got for this one! The 3-loop bike course is not ideal since it gets so crowed, but it was doable. The swim and the run courses were great! There was lots of fruit and water available, but I wish they had bagels or something healthier instead of pizza from Domino's.

Last updated: 2009-01-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:59 | 1094 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 27/35
Overall: 121/189
Performance: Below average
Suit: old bathing suit
Course: rectangular w/buoys on the right
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:39 | 18.64 miles | 19.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/35
Overall: 40/189
Wind: Little
Course: 3 loop course with rolling hills the whole way, all in the left lane of double-lane roads, VERY crowded and impossible to avoid drafting, some people did not stay over very well, a bit of a bottle-neck on the loop where people were coming in from the water and at the turn-around points
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:45 | 04.97 miles | 08m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/35
Overall: 45/189
My HR monitor kept dropping to 45 for some reason. First time I have had trouble with it since I got the batteries replaced.
Course: Two loop course with a short, steep hill out of transition, a long slow hill on second half of loop, and a trail through the woods on the way past the finish to start the second loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-29 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Subject: Montclair Triathlon

2009-06-29 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2250638

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Montclair Triathlon

Haha, yum pizza!

Good job out there.  You crushed that run!  And with some walking!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Montclair Triathlon Rss Feed