United States
Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 33m 46s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 19/55
Pre-race routine:

I got to the race host hotel late the day before the race, checked in, and went to Appleby's for dinner. Got my stuff set up to go in the morning and in bed by about 9:30. I got the wakeup call at 4am but dozed for another 15-20 min. and then had the ususal bagel, banana with peanut butter, and a gatorade. Downed an Alleve and some Hammer Racecaps before leaving for the race. As always a really long line of cars getting to the parking site.
Event warmup:

Marking and site setup was pretty uneventful. Lots of activity and questions about the weather. It was pretty windy and I saw a couple of bikes with discs get out of control walking down the hill to transiton. Really didn't have enough time to do a run warmup and this location doesn't work well for a bike warmup either. I did get to swim some before the start and noticed my new goggles were leaking. More about that later.
Swim
  • 43m 3s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started on the right side of the beach in line with the 1st buoy. No running along the side as has been done some many times before. You actually have to swim the whole course now. I started pretty well but at the point of turning the corner it seemed like a 1000 guys were there at the same time. We were like sardines for several minutes but then opened up some. Up to the point of the 1st turn buoy I was moving pretty well but my head started hurting due to the goggoles being to tight. I tighted them just before the start to stop the leak. It got progressively worse to the point I couldn't think about anything else. Then I got nauseated and hot. The water temp wasn't that cold and a full wetsuit heated up fast. At the halfway point I was barely moving, stopping to loosen my goggles every 100 meters or so and was really thinking of bagging the race when I got to shore.
What would you do differently?:

I have done this same course and swam it 7-8 min. faster. I would make sure my goggoles are not so tight and maybe even skip the wetsuit if the water is as warm as this time.
Transition 1
  • 03m 55s
Comments:

I walked to the bike thinking I was still going to hurl any minute. Wasn't sure I was going to keep going or not. I took a long time but eventually figured I might as well see how I felt on the bike, I could always turn around, right.

Move quicker which is not hard if I feel well.
Bike
  • 2h 49m 3s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.88 mile/hr
Comments:

After climbing out of the canyon and out of the park I started to feel okay again. Started concentrating on my race plan and to not overdo it at the start. I wanted to keep watts in the 195-205 range for the 1st hour, then 210 range for the next hour, and finally 215-220 range for the rest. This went well and I felt pretty comfortable passing lots of folks on the way.( being in the next to last wave and a bad swim gives lots of people to pass ). It was interesting coming back because water was all over the roads but it was never raining where I was at anytime during the race.

I would push the pace a little harder, maybe 10 watts per segment. I don't think I kept to my nutrition plan as close as I should either.
Transition 2
  • 03m 28s
Comments:

Since it had rained everything was wet including my shoe. My soaks had also gotten wet during the bike. I looked in my bag for a dry pair but couldn't find them so went without socks. Usually not a good idea for this long of a run but.... Made a quick pitstop at the porta potty and off to the run.

I was moving through transition pretty slow not wanting to slip. I guess I would move faster, usually T2 is pretty quick for me.
Run
  • 1h 53m 59s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Got going pretty well and had pretty much recovered from my disaster swim. The plan was to try to keep an 8:30 pace for the first half and then edge up to 8:15 then all out for the last 2-3 miles. First thing I notice is that my HR monitor wasn't working and the pace function of my watch wasn't either. Had to go on RPE and general timing from mile marker. I was a little fast around the lake and going up the first hill decided I was using to much energy so walked to the top. I ended up walking all the hills since I wasn't running much faster but burning cals. like crazy. It was fairly cool until the last 4 miles when the sun came out and got hotter and humid. I did cramp some but only lasted 15-20 seconds and I was able to stretch it out quickly. I pushed the salt tabs generously.

I would pace this a little more evenly to start and even though I thought I had enough sodium I guess I need more.
Post race
Warm down:

I was a little light headed when I got back so I sat in the medical tent for awhile with some ice towels. Didn't even think about an IV.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Headache and nausea during the swim. Some cramping on the run.

Last updated: 2009-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:03 | 2112 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/55
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Xterra Vendetta
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:55
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:49:03 | 56 miles | 19.88 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:28
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:53:59 | 13.1 miles | 08m 42s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-29 1:53 PM

New user

Subject: Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3

2009-06-30 10:46 AM
in reply to: #2250789

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3
Great job out there Jeff.  Very cool you didn't quit after that swim.  Glad I was able to give you someone to pass.  Maybe I'll see you up there next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed