General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Minimum maintenance workout plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-29 3:06 PM

San Diego, CA
Subject: Minimum maintenance workout plan
My wife is due to give birth in a few days, and, with it, my triathlon season will effectively end.  I already have a busy job, and two kids, so I'll probably be hanging it up for a while to focus on other things.  That said, I don't want to lose whatever I've gained since picking up the sport last fall. 

What is the minimum work-out plan that one should follow just to avoid a much fitness loss as possible?

I get it, some fitness loss inevitable, but I'd love to keep some semblance of it.  And I'm hardly an elite athlete; really just a MOB/BOB'er just getting towards year one in this adventure.  So, maybe I don't have lots to lose! 

But, what's reasonable?  Can I get away with one run/bike/swim per week?  Any less?  Should I do more?  And what kind of workouts should those be?  Short high intensity stuff, or keep long stuff in too?

Thanks!

2009-06-29 3:16 PM
in reply to: #2251091

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Minimum maintenance workout plan
You fit in whatever you can.  I would say more intensity will give you better bang for your training buck, but you have to consider injury risk with that too--mostly with regard to running.

Good luck to you & your wife!  There is nothing better!
2009-06-29 3:46 PM

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI
What you really want is a winter maintance plan.  Not sure if the Bronze membership gets you that but you can check.  Are you in "Sprint" shape or do you compete in middle and long distance?  If Sprint is your game, than I think you could get by with 5-7 hours a week, with 5 hrs being a recovery week.  This would include three swim, bike and run workouts per week. 

If you are trying to maintain shape for a longer Tri, than 7-10 hours or more a week is needed.
2009-06-29 3:54 PM

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI
By the way, I add that I am not a coach!

Now that I have that out of the way, I'll also add that most of my winter workouts are a mix of training: base endurance, muscular endurance, efficiency, speed work, and swim drills.
2009-06-29 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2251236

San Diego, CA
Are you in "Sprint" shape or do you compete in middle and long distance?

We'll, depends on how you look at it.  I'm probably in sprint plus shape.  I can do okay in a sprint, and have finished as a BOP'er in the two Oly's I've done.  I'm looking to do a HIM next year, and an IM someday, life allowing.

As to your suggestions- thanks.  I think, as a practical matter, I don't know how many hours I'll be able to promise myself.  I'll probably mostly ignore swimming since I have a modest background in that and can pick it back up relatively quickly.  On the running, the goal will be twice a week, with biking once or maybe twice a week, and more if opportunity presents.  As for strength, etc., I'm afraid that'll slip too, at least for a month or two.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Minimum maintenance workout plan Rss Feed