General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reality Check: I'm REALLY bad! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2005-05-02 9:20 AM
in reply to: #150320

Subject: RE: Reality Check: I'm REALLY bad!
Gwendal - 2005-04-29 8:58 PM

sharonnagy5 - 2005-04-29 11:50 AM

us50090 - 2005-04-29 12:03 AM

You asked for a reality check....You seem to suffer from low self esteem. People here have held a mirror in front of you: read these posts again: that is what you appear like to them based on what you wrote. You need to try and see yourself the way others see you. Being down on yourself is not good for your mental health. There are a lot of people here that would happily trade with your parameters, times etc. there are folks that have much, much harder strugles in this sport than what you portray.

I think it's easy to say to someone without walking a mile in his/her shoes..."you seem to suffer from low self esteem." It's possible that someone looking for reassurance might be suffering from something along those lines, but I just think that we all suffer from insecurities from time to time It's part of being human. I just thought that post was a bit...I dunno....judgemental.

ps: But, when your insecurities are manifested by the person(s) you hang with, then I think you need to get away from negative people who make you feel inept. Life's too short to associate with jerks who put you down. That's no fun.

Sharon

No worries, Sharon, I'm fine with tough love. I half expected people to pipe up and say that 13 mph bike speeds wasn't going to cut it.

You asked who the jerk was I associated with: it was a member of an online group, but one that meets once in a while at athletic events and people got pretty close over a span of 10 years or so. I'd rather not be too specific for a variety of reasons, but the culture was very in-your-face challenging and we were expected to be able to take it. I COULD take it... but then decided I didn't NEED to take it. I'm more macho than the ordinary woman (a history of long-distance running and power-lifting sort of illustrates that) but at the same time there comes a point when it's nicer to be around nice people.

That doesn't mean that I want to live all the time with super-nice people. Honesty, challenging comments, and sometimes even in-your-face mean-ness are motivating to me. This is the first group I've trained with where people are actually kind. I'm still a bit surprised by it.

-- Gwendal

I think that we all need a good kick in the keister now and again...haha I just also wanted to express that I didn't view your original post as someone who has low self esteem....

Hope things work out--you sound like you're doing a great job to me! You make a good point when you say that you can't be around "nice" people always...but, truly....being tough on someone, yet still being "nice," CAN be done. I think that there are never reasons for insults to "motivate" someone. That type of thing never has motivated me in the past...if anything, I go in the opposite direction if someone feels the need to insult me.

Keep up the good work....! Have a good one.

2005-05-02 10:00 AM
in reply to: #149463

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Subject: RE: Reality Check: I'm REALLY bad!
Hey Gwendal, pick up a copy of Iron Man Kona 2004.
You'll get a good reality check....
You will see 40 something mother of 2 kids with CF, they are almost teenagers and will not live much longer. She was raising money for CF. She decided to be proactive instead of feeling sorry for herself and her kids.
Or Sarah, the first amputee woman to attempt IM.... Are you complaining over a 10 minute mile run? what about running with prosthesis...
You will see a the father and son team... Yeah, the father riding a special bike with his almost paralyzed son on it.
1/2 hour before ending the telecast the TV showed pros at the finish line, but the story did not finish there, it kept on going.
Then something hit me....
This sport is not about the pros and the incredible times, they have sponsors, time to train... This sport is about all the ordinary people that commits to a goal, the mothers and fathers, students and working people on a balancing act.... The "too old", "too fat", “too" something that beats the odds.
This sport is about all of us, ordinary and extraordinary folks that have the guts to get out and tri.
Mary
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reality Check: I'm REALLY bad! Rss Feed  

of 3