General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reality Check: I'm REALLY bad! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2005-04-28 11:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
Subject: Reality Check: I'm REALLY bad!
Help! I need a reality check. For some reason I thought I would be able to do a sprint triathlon, but I'm realizing (after my first actual outside bike ride) that I'm really, really bad at EVERYTHING! Am I too old, too heavy, too decrepit, too pitiful for this? All I want is to avoid a DNF in a Danskin Sprint Triathlon. Can I have a reality check, please?

My best 5K running race pace is 10 minute miles. Yup, 31 minutes is my personal best 5K (I ran two last year). After every injury/lay-off it is a bit harder to progress through those "couch to 5K" programs. I don't bounce back easily. I have an absurdly high heart rate and at the moment I can only jog about two miles at a crawl without my heart rate maxing out.

My swimming utterly sucks. I'm quite capable of doing four 200 yard repeats, but cranking out 800 meters of front crawl without stopping seems unlikely. I tried swimming in a gentle swell of a Caribbean lagoon last week (ideal conditions) and I seemed to be treading water getting nowhere. In the pool yesterday I noticed that EVERYONE swims faster than me. Yes, I balance quite lovely. Yes, I have high elbows. Yes, I swivel my hips. But I go VERY SLOW.

Cycling is the new piece I'm picking up for triathloning. Tuesday I got outside for my first organized ride. I went 12 miles and didn't feel particularly wiped, but I quickly fell way behind the group of "women intermediates" (there were no beginners in that ride) and I only averaged 13 mph although there was only one noticeable hill.

I have been training for this sprint triathlon since January 1st. I usually swim twice a week, cycle (on a trainer, just spinning) twice a week and run/jog/walk 2 or 3 miles twice a week and weightlift two or three times a week. That's 8 or 9 workouts a week. I'm 40, strong, healthy, and think I'm in fairly good condition. I'm overweight, but appear slender- I've dense bones and lots of muscle from my power-lifting days. (I'm around 22-23% body fat but weigh 163 at 5'6" just back from vacation.)

Am I just setting myself up for failure? Should I take up knitting or something? I feel like such a poser on my lovely new bike and get embarrassed everytime I mention that I'm training for a triathlon (which comes up in the context of why I have to excuse myself, because it's time to go train... I've got so many demands on my time that I need a strong master goal to make sure my exercise doesn't get shunted aside.)

It's time to register for this triathlon. What should I do? If blustering ahead is the answer, it's 13 weeks until race day. Anyone want to recommend a training program that will haul my sorry butt through the end of July?

-- Gwendal

2005-04-28 12:04 PM
in reply to: #149463

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Reality Check: I'm REALLY bad!
You're almost there in all three sports and you have 13 weeks to hone your skills. Don't worry about being fast or slow, you just want to finish and you should be able to do that without problems if you train. Go for it! Train smart and finish proud.

Edit: Actually, your biking sounds fine now, keep it up. You might consider getting someone else's eyes on your swimming to make sure you are doing as well as you feel you are. Keep working on the run and your swim endurance, and you'll do fine.

Edited by Micawber 2005-04-28 12:17 PM
2005-04-28 12:12 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
First off, slow is relative. If I got down on myself because I was slow compared to other people, I'd still be 245lbs sitting on the couch eating Cheeto's. So, don't compare yourself to others. You've had a running injury which is hard to come back from, but you're doing it. Also, if you aren't really that familiar with open water (Caribbean lagoons) then it's really hard to judge how much progress you were actually making in your OW swim. Consider it training in unfamiliar territory.

Secondly, this is advice I've gotten on here before: to improve in any of the 3 disciplines, you have to do them a lot. 2x a week is enough to maintain your existing fitness. 3x will show improvements for most people. 4x is where you start seeing it really come together. Try the 3x balanced sprint training plan, and your endurance and ability in each sport should really improve. IMHO 13 weeks is plenty of time to be ready for the sprint. Competitve? Probably not. Ready? Definitely.

Good luck with it. Try to stay positive...improvement will come with time and work.
2005-04-28 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Maine

Register. Commit to it. Here is the reality check: you are not too old, too decrepit, too heavy or any of those things. Be proud of the consistent training you have been doing.  Unless your goal is to be at the front of the pack, then I wouldn't worry about your speed.  You are out there, you are doing something that few people will ever attempt. The only failure I see would be to not go for it!  You can do it. Don't take up knitting (unless you really want something to do on your rest days).

As far as your running is concerned, a 10 minute mile is nothing to sneeze at. I would bet there are a huge number of people here who would kill to go that fast.

As far as your swimming, doing 200 yards continuously is a great place to be at this point.  If you could fit in one more swim per week, that would likely help a great deal.  Worst case, during the tri, you swim 200, roll over and do some backstroke and catch your breath, do another 200, etc.

Cycling is new to you. Keep at it, put in the miles, speed will increase.  The fact that you could do 12 miles without feeling wiped is a good sign.

Keep up the good training, and you will reach your goal of completing Danskin, and you will be a triathlete.

-Rob

2005-04-28 12:14 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Judging from the times you just gave, it's likely you'll be close to midpack at a Danskin race.  Look up last year's results from the race you're doing if you want further reassurance - you're doing great!!  There are women in my tri club who walk the entire run portion and didn't even know how to ride a bike at the start of this year, and they'll be doing the Danskin in Denver this summer.  You're leaps and bounds ahead of that in ability, and you have months more to train.

So go register - NOW!  Do not talk yourself out of this - you'll do great, and even more you'll be proud of yourself for finishing something that made you doubt your abilities.

Edited by Stacers 2005-04-28 12:14 PM
2005-04-28 12:16 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

You will be fine! You will finish! I promise. You might not win... but that's not your objective at this point...

There is no rule that states you HAVE to do freestyle for the entire swim. If you need to take a break, swim some breaststroke or dog paddle... flip over onto your back and do backstroke... I saw people doing this @ the Chicago Triathlon... One chick was a MEAN backstroker... I think she swam the whole swim leg backstroke... You are free to swim whatever stroke you wish... Do what's best for you... Maybe swim some freestyle, and break it up with some slower breaststroke... Or sidestroke... You can use the alternate strokes for sighting...

Bike... for all intents and purposes... just go ride your bike... You can certainly cover the distance! 13 mph isn't bad... and this race isn't against the person next to you... it's against yourself... so push push push through the bike... Don't worry about speed... just go the distance... you KNOW you can do it!!! You won't be riding in a pack of INTERMEDIATES... there will be women there in all shapes and sizes with all different skill sets... You'll smoke some... others will smoke you.

Run... IMHO a 31 minute 5K is not bad at all! It rivals my 5K PR! Get through the run... walk if you have to... or jog... You CAN do it! DEFINITELY! DEFINITELY! DEFINITELY!

I'm certain you can do it. You are NOT too old, decrepit or pitiful! NO WAY! (And knitting is for old ladies !!!) No offense to any BT knitters out there... I know you pack sharp thick needles....

I'm going to be checking your logs, now Gwendal. As long as you stay healthy and free of injury you're going to shine @ Danskin!!! I KNOW IT!!!

Whizzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by Whizzer 2005-04-28 12:23 PM

2005-04-28 12:21 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Dude, you expect to perform like Mario Cippolini (Italian cycling stud, Lance is SO overexposed ) the first time out? Giv it some time, Rome wasn't built in a day, yada yada

How are you setting up for a failure? Just thinking about this puts you ahead of at least 50% of the population, actually doing it puts you ahead of 99%.

Always remember the BT mantra:

DFL is better than DNF is better than DNS

You have13 weeks to train and improve. Sign up now to give your self a concrete goal and added motivation. Find the plans on this site and get after it.

2005-04-28 12:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia

AAAAHHHH, you hear the voice.  You know, the voice that tells you that you are not fast enough, strong enough, good enough to do the race.  That voice was screaming in my ear this past Sunday.  I looked around at all of the athletes before the race and asked myself, "why am I here, I clearly don't belong".  I told the voice to shut up and started the race. 

The voice returned on the swim when I got a lung full of water and flooded goggles (at around 400 meters).  It said, "raise your hand, crawl into a boat where they will take you to shore and give you a warm blanket".  I told the voice to shut up, rolled back over and continued swimming. 

The voice came back to me on the bike run.  "look, those people are passing you, why don't you just quit?"  Again, I told it to shut up and kept pushing. 

The voice repeated itself on the run.  "They marked the course wrong, this is too long for a 5K.  You're too slow, look at those people passing you.  Why don't you just go sit under the shade of that tree over there?" 

Well, you get the point. Tell the voice to shut up and go register for that race.  Also, expect that voice to come back to you again and again.  The voice is WRONG, you can do it.  You are stronger than the voice. 

2005-04-28 12:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, Il
Do it! Do it!

You smoke me in the run already. Just keep on keeping on, and you'll feel great when it's done.
2005-04-28 12:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Gwendal

Ummm, you are NOT really bad. In fact I think you're doing great. Everything that you said in there convinced me that you are not only going to finish, you will be well ahead of DFL. Maybe still in the BOP, but WHO CARES. You're doing this for you to see if YOU can finish the distance. Of that there is no question.

You still have 13 weeks left before your race? That is 13 weeks that you have to get even better. To get yourself up to a MOPer.

Go take a look at some of the race reports floating around here. Check out infosteward, tmwelshy & COgirl from last year, check out PirateGirl from this past weekend. This is about you and the distance!

You are willing to push yourself out the door every week getting 8-9 workouts in. It'll be easy on race day. You'll get there and you'll have adrenaline flowing. There will be thousands of women out there that look just like you, that are older, that are younger, than at bigger that are smaller, and you know what...every single one of you will be showing up on that day to fight strong ,and to fight hard. And Gwendal YOU will push yourself. And YOU will run faster that you though you could, swim farther than you knew you could and attack the hills with more confidence. You will run across that finish line and you will be strong, and you will be a triathlete.

Go sign up. You want that feeling.

Edited by vertical_listing 2005-04-28 12:44 PM
2005-04-28 12:52 PM

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Oooohhhh, if I hear you say 40 is too old one more time, I will haul my 41 year old, decrepit carcass to wherever you are and KICK YOUR BUTT! Your physical age has nothing to do with your ability to finish this tri! They don't cut the age group off at 25-29!!!
Seriously though, you could be at 50% (or less) of where you are on all three sports and still be able to complete your sprint in 13 weeks. You are doing great, honestly. I did my first sprint last year...AT THE ADVANCED AGE OF 40....the first weekend in June. Prior to that, I had only run 5k and 8k races, I had not touched a toe in a pool, or had my butt on a bike seat in over 25 years. And even back then it was just kid stuff, never any kind of competing. I joined a masters group on January 1, 2004 and could not swim 25 yards without gasping. I took some spinning classes until it was warm enough to ride a biked outside (April in these parts). And in spite of this slow, late start, I managed to finish my triatlon just fine. Did not win the thing! Did not even place in my age group, but I wasn't last, either! But if I had been, I would not have cared because I was damn proud of myself! And it would have just added more to my goal for this year (June 6th, woo hoo!). You can do this, absolutely. You do however, need to stop with the negative self talk, ASAP! GO TO IT OLD TIMER!

2005-04-28 12:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio
Gwendal,I've been bustin' my hump trying to get down to 10 minute miles! I'm 6 weeks away from my first tri of the season and I'm starting to get really nervous, too. I say, don't worry about your time- just work on endurance. On your swims, see if you can add an additional length each time you swim. If you can do a 200, I'd bet you can do a 225 without much more effort. Let yourself go slow. You don't want to use up too much energy on the swim.You did really well for your first trip out on the bike. Keep it up and you'll have no problems on race day. I look forward to reading your race report!
2005-04-28 12:59 PM
in reply to: #149498

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

AMEN SISTER!! You're making me tear up!!!

GO GO GO GO GO GO Gwendal!!!!

Whizzzzz

2005-04-28 1:09 PM
in reply to: #149510

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Tania - 2005-04-28 11:52 AM Oooohhhh, if I hear you say 40 is too old one more time, I will haul my 41 year old, decrepit carcass to wherever you are and KICK YOUR BUTT! Your physical age has nothing to do with your ability to finish this tri! They don't cut the age group off at 25-29!!! 

Actually (if I may agree with Tania), the largest age groups around here are the ones between 40 and 60. Similar to her, I could not run a block when I was 44 (eleven marathons since then), started cycling when I was nearly 46 (nearly 15,000 miles in four years since) and started swimming last year at the age of 48 (did my first tri two months later). The best is yet to come!

2005-04-28 1:20 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

So, you're slow.......why should that keep you from doing the triathlon.....were you planning to win?

Look, the way I see it is that we are all our own biggest problems.

Some don't train right

Some train too much

Some race stupid (yours truly)

Some are plagued by doubt

What I have found is that getting over myself is what this whole tri-run-bike-swim thing is all about.

IF I can make my schedule work, if I can make my body train, If I can keep my mind from letting me get stupid, if I can tell my voices (and you all know those voices) shut up...the race is gravy

Short answer......yep, you can do it, you know you can. You just have to let yourself.

And yes, it will be uncomfortable, scary, frustrating, and probably emotionally (as well as physically) draining. ........and you'll want to do it again.

2005-04-28 1:21 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
If your goal is to WIN your first time out, you're probably right that your times are too slow to win. But realistically, most competators races are run solely against themselves and for personal reasons.

If that's what your'e doing then time doesn't matter. View your first race as just that, a learning experience, you want to go and do as well as you can, and establish some numbers to improve on the next time out.

My first tri I was 116/125. And I was happier than I've ever been. I'm still in hog heaven at my performance. Remember if you compete and finish you will ahve done something that only 1% of people do!!!! 1%. How amazing is that!?!

Go, have fun, do your own race, don't worry about your time. Then immediately sign up for your second race..

2005-04-28 2:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
Holy mackeral, people, you are WONDERFUL! I came back and read this thread and promptly raced over to the online registration for the Danskin and signed up.

I've been a bit down lately about my athletic abilities. A guy I know got into a conversation with me about how I wasn't really an athlete because I'm not very good at anything. I was a bit puzzled by this because it seems to me that people who show up and train week after week, month after month, year after year and then show up and compete actually ARE athletes. When they spend all their online time on athletic-related websites, when they physically shudder at the thought of eating chili-cheese-fries (ewwww!) when they spend all their disposable income at the LBS... doesn't that make me an athlete? It *seems* to me that would be enough. But this conversation really undermined my confidence, and then to have my lack of prowess at all three sports so deftly illustrated, well, I got shaken.

Thanks for picking me up and setting me back on the right path. And the rain quit so maybe it's time to take my Lab (Ela) out for a muddy run. :-)

Gwendal
2005-04-28 2:17 PM

User image

Master
Maine
You are an athlete, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  I'm guessing this idiot guy is not an athlete, although maybe so, because you have to be pretty athletic to get your own head that far up your own a$$.
2005-04-28 2:20 PM

Regular
In the Country Virginia
Man at the risk of sounding like an a-hole you need to be stronger than that. What do you care what someone thinks? Do your thing and F them. People like that just motivate me more. I laugh at them and go on. This person that said that do they do tri's? Are they an athlete. Do they play pro sports? If not tell them to F off and go do your training.
2005-04-28 2:26 PM
in reply to: #149534

ride_like_u_stole_it - 2005-04-28 1:20 PM

So, you're slow.......why should that keep you from doing the triathlon.....were you planning to win?

Look, the way I see it is that we are all our own biggest problems.

Some don't train right

Some train too much

Some race stupid (yours truly)

Some are plagued by doubt

What I have found is that getting over myself is what this whole tri-run-bike-swim thing is all about.

IF I can make my schedule work, if I can make my body train, If I can keep my mind from letting me get stupid, if I can tell my voices (and you all know those voices) shut up...the race is gravy

Short answer......yep, you can do it, you know you can. You just have to let yourself.

And yes, it will be uncomfortable, scary, frustrating, and probably emotionally (as well as physically) draining. ........and you'll want to do it again.

For some reason, I think people NEW to this believe or have learned somewhere that you need to be "fast" in order to enter these races. (or any races) Not sure where we learned this thinking?? I guess I need to readjust my thinking on that, as well.
2005-04-28 2:26 PM
in reply to: #149567

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
huskyboy - 2005-04-28 2:17 PM

You are an athlete, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I'm guessing this idiot guy is not an athlete, although maybe so, because you have to be pretty athletic to get your own head that far up your own a$$.

LOL. Very well said! Gwendal, let it motivate you...your times are good, solid times, and you work hard. If Mr Jackass thinks you're not an athlete, then come back from Danskin waving your race number in his face and see what he thinks of that. Good on you for signing up, you'll do great.

Edited by madeye 2005-04-28 2:27 PM

2005-04-28 2:33 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

Gwen, your running is very good.  Doing a 5K in half and hour is faster than I can muster and I've been running for over 20 years!  As has been confirmed already, don't worry about doing the bike leg.  You can do the distance and that is all that counts; you can work on your speed over time.  All you really have to concentrate on at this time is your swimming.  I would suggest that you hit the pool as often as possible and work on your endurance.  Do not set out to do a distance but rather a set amount of time.  Start your swim by slowing down...yes, slowing down!...and concentrate on your breathing.  If you get tired of doing the front crawl, switch to a butterfly or a sidestroke, whatever it takes to get you to do the time. 

Edited by Machiavelo 2005-04-28 2:34 PM
2005-04-28 2:54 PM

User image

Pro
MA

Hi Gwendal,

From your description, I think we may be able to keep each other company for the entire race (although my swimming may be slightly faster).  I'm glad you registered the Danskin.  I'll see you there.

--DK

2005-04-28 2:57 PM
in reply to: #149557

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Gwendal - 2005-04-28 2:09 PM

Holy mackeral, people, you are WONDERFUL! I came back and read this thread and promptly raced over to the online registration for the Danskin and signed up.

I've been a bit down lately about my athletic abilities. A guy I know got into a conversation with me about how I wasn't really an athlete because I'm not very good at anything. I was a bit puzzled by this because it seems to me that people who show up and train week after week, month after month, year after year and then show up and compete actually ARE athletes. When they spend all their online time on athletic-related websites, when they physically shudder at the thought of eating chili-cheese-fries (ewwww!) when they spend all their disposable income at the LBS... doesn't that make me an athlete? It *seems* to me that would be enough. But this conversation really undermined my confidence, and then to have my lack of prowess at all three sports so deftly illustrated, well, I got shaken.

Thanks for picking me up and setting me back on the right path. And the rain quit so maybe it's time to take my Lab (Ela) out for a muddy run. :-)

Gwendal

You signed up?? You really did it? Man, WE ROCK and so do YOU! And while we are still (hopefully) still able to have such an influence on you, may we suggest you dump that life-sucking ass*@%e from your atmosphere as soon as possible? Good deal, you signed UP! Let us know how your training is progressing, and how your race goes.
2005-04-28 3:01 PM
in reply to: #149557

User image

Veteran
Virginia

Delete duplicate.  Sorry.

Edited by vadiver 2005-04-28 3:05 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reality Check: I'm REALLY bad! Rss Feed  

of 3