General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is ONE year of training enough? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-29 4:24 PM

Subject: Is ONE year of training enough?

Hello all,

Here's my situation...

I'm a 22 year old male and I've just completed my college basketball career. Over the past couple summers I've used swimming, cycling, and running and training methods for bball. Now that basketball is behind me I would like to get more serious about competing in triathlons. I've done a couple sprint distance races which have suited me well because they are closely related to the short, but intense, feeling of playing a basketball game. I love to challenge myself and set BIG goals. I come from a family of cyclists and marathon runners, although the longest distances I've ever done are 50km rides and half-marathon runs. I want to compete in the 2010 Subaru Ironman race in Penticton, BC. This means I'll have about 14 months to prepare. Can this be achieved or does it seem too lofty of a goal?

2009-06-29 4:30 PM
in reply to: #2251347

New user
Subject: RE: Is ONE year of training enough?
Depends on level of fitness but I would say yes based on the fact that you have been active.  Im doing IMLP next month with about 10 months of training an no previous experience.  Hopefully I will finish. So maybe I should have waited to respond.
2009-06-29 8:36 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

I think you can do it.  I'm doing my IM this year, last season was my first in triathlon.  Guess I'll find out if it works in August!

2009-06-29 8:43 PM

User image

Champion
MA
K_OS - 2009-06-29 5:24 PM

Hello all,

Here's my situation...

I'm a 22 year old male and I've just completed my college basketball career. Over the past couple summers I've used swimming, cycling, and running and training methods for bball. Now that basketball is behind me I would like to get more serious about competing in triathlons. I've done a couple sprint distance races which have suited me well because they are closely related to the short, but intense, feeling of playing a basketball game. I love to challenge myself and set BIG goals. I come from a family of cyclists and marathon runners, although the longest distances I've ever done are 50km rides and half-marathon runs. I want to compete in the 2010 Subaru Ironman race in Penticton, BC. This means I'll have about 14 months to prepare. Can this be achieved or does it seem too lofty of a goal?

It tough to register. If that is your goal you will want to go in person to register the day after the race to make sure you get a slot or be prepared to do the on line entry if it goes on line or pay extra for community slot. I think over last good many years last year was the first and only year in recent years it went on line for registration and I got in.

Wisdom for doing IM within a year, do a search in this forum and it has been discussed many times. Many do it but I don't think it is the best way to go. IMs will always be there.
2009-06-30 12:41 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Agreement here.  If you have been competitive at the college level in bball and have not drifted out of shape since playing you can probably get in shape for an IM in 14 months.  You probably shouldn't, but you probably can.  Two years would be a much better window.  It really depends on what your main goal is.  If you just want to coplete one for the sake of completing one then that is fine.  If you want to get fast and be competitive, you probably want to nail some HIM's for a year or two and then up to the IM after that.  It is hard to build to IM distance and improve speed a lot in only 14 months. 
But ya it is up to you.  You will need to put in 15 hours weekly without injury and follow a plan with a recovery week every 4th week.  You can't just steady build with no recovery.  A coach would improve your overall speed and odds of success, but not necessary. Luck in your journey, post your workouts here and learn a lot.
2009-06-30 12:44 AM

User image

Veteran
WA
With your fitness level one year should be fine, I know 2 women who just did ironman CDA and it was there first Tri ever and they both had babies last summer after they signed up. Both finished in plenty of time. Put in the hours and you will be fine.

2009-06-30 1:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, New Zealand
On top of what others have already written, I would say go and register for the race.  This way you have your goal.  Once this is done, you can get on with planning your training and setting realistic expectations, i.e.: just finish, finish in a certain time etc... and of course training!!

I signed up for IMNZ four months before d-day.  I had about 6 months of training of swimming, biking and running behind me.  Before that I was unactive for about 12 months.  So it can be done, just make sure you plan everything and most of all enjoy the day!
2009-06-30 5:48 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I would suggest that if this is something that you are interested in doing for more than a couple of years and/or if you want to be as fast as you can over the IM distance, then I would focus on getting fast over the shorter distances first.

One of the best pieces of advice that I recieved early in my involvement in triathlon was that IM would always be there and that there is no rush to race one.

In general, I would look at the following progression:

Year 1 - sprints with an end of season Oly
Year 2 - mix of short course (sprints and Olys); maybe a HIM
Year 3 - short course and a couple HIM's
Year 4 - some short course and 2-3 HIM's (with at least one where you feel you are racing)
Year 5 - IM

Granted you can probably get there much more quickly (lots of people do an IM in their first season) and it depends on your goals for the sport.  At your age and athletic background, you could build some solid speed over the shorter distances which would serve you well when you step up to the longer distances.

Shane
2009-06-30 7:35 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Certainly you CAN do an IM in 14 months and I think everyone would agree with this...what you will find debatable is should you do an IM in 14 months.  My position and advice is almost always, absolutely.

I think people put way to much emphasis on the ironman as if it is the Everest of triathlons.  It's just a race.  If you do it and don't do as well as you'd hoped or expected, do it again the next year and the next and the next.  The fact is, the volume of training you will do for an IM is not that different from the volume of a good HIM plan. 

Sprints and Oly distances can be done along the road to your IM to give you more experience and to be used as interim milestones to check your progress.

I don't understand the thinking that one's first IM has to be one's best IM.  Regardless of how you do on your first IM, it will be a PR for that distance.  :-

~Mike

2009-06-30 1:00 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
K_OS - 2009-06-29 5:24 PM

I love to challenge myself and set BIG goals.

How about trying to break 2:00 in an olympic distance race?  There are other BIG goals besides Ironman.  As you noted, you are probably more suited for the shorter, intense stuff currently.  And the work you do will not be THAT much different from IM training.  The difference is that doing this first will likely lead to faster IMs later than simply trying to race IM year after year. 

Of course, depends on your goals, desires,...

Edited by JohnnyKay 2009-06-30 1:00 PM
2009-06-30 1:56 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
I am not even close to Iron distance but i would advise that you go longer but wait on the IM.  Give a try to some longer distance tris. You may love big goals and a challenge but i've seen some people flame out in training.  Go on a plan and see if you like it.  It's a lot of work. Often alone. You're fit and probably can do it - no question at all - but making it through training without going crazy is a different thing.

IM is a different beast. There are lots of Olympic, long course and half iron tris out there to get your feet wet.  And an IM registration is a lot of money and a coveted thing - so go for it wisely!

2009-06-30 4:01 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Unless you feel burned out from the rigors of college b-ball and need to take a year off, go for it.  You have a general fitness base.  14 months is plenty of time to gradually ramp up the mileage you need.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is ONE year of training enough? Rss Feed