Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 20m 3s
Overall Rank = 181/902
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 33/101
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 and showered, made hotel coffee, and dressed. Left the Holiday Inn host hotel at 5:05. Most everyone in the parking lot had already left -- a bad omen for what was to come.

Got into the park and began the slow crawl to the parking area. We did not get into the parking area until 6...With my swim wave starting at 6:40, things were pretty tight.

I had to used the port-o-can so I dropped my bike at the rack with my bag and went straight to the line. I waited in line - nervously - until after the pros stared at 6:30. I ran to my transition spot, hastily unpacked my stuff, grabbed my wetsuit and raced to the start.

I gave Robin a good luck kiss and threw on the wetsuit and goggles/cap as they were announcing my wave.
Event warmup:

No time for that. Big mistake as I was unable to mentally prepare for the race start. I'm not sure if this cost me time, but I did not start the race relaxed and comfortable as I like to do. Gotta leave earlier and get to transition at least 1 hour before it closes or the wave starts.
Swim
  • 42m 32s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

I wasn't feeling it at all. The first 200 were like a washing machine.bodies everywhere. I swam with the pack to the first buoy and then things spread out. I did a horrible job of getting on feet. Not a very good swim. Poor sighting, poor drafting. Just moving toward the finish.

I caught a lot of folks in the wave in front of me, but then a lot of white caps started passing me so I didn't do as good as I thought.

I finished slow, but my overall plaecement was right where I expected it so maybe the swim was long.
What would you do differently?:

I think the rushed start affected my performance.
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

The volunteers were really eager to help with wetsuits. I tried to stop for one of them to unzip and help off, but it was chaotic. I finally just pulled the ting back onto my shoulder and ran with it. I stripped it off at the rack and held onto the rack to balance while I got it off my ankles. No problems there. Holding the rack helped a lot.

not stop for the volunteers. That cost me a few seconds.
Bike
  • 2h 47m 58s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Tough course made tougher by the wind. The flats would have been faster had the wind been less or had it not been raining.

nothing. I felt like I was pretty aggressive. I stayed in aero except when climbing the real steep stuff. I pushed hard as my gluts and quads were feeling fairly fatigued by mile 45 or so.
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

The rain and the big descent into transition made me change my dismoutn strategy and it hurt my time. I was rightly worried about a crash and did not want to ride down the big hill with my feet out of the shoes, so I decided to come to a complete stop and dismount with my shoes on. This hurt because I could not jump off the bike. I had a problem getting my feet over the bike and looked like a clumsy fool. Then the run it was slow because I was clodding like a Clydesdale to my spot.

If it were dry, I'd pull my feet out at the base of the hill before the turn into transition and jump off a moving bike.
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I started strong in the park. I was running 7:40s or the first two miles. I ran the tangents and that helped with the pace. My pace slowed in mile 3 with the first big climb as I cramped and had to walk/stretch to get past that problem. Miles 3 and 4 were slow - about 9 minute pace, but I stopped to pee so mile 4 was probably just over 8.

The energy lab was smooth but I had difficulty maintaining an 8 minute pace. The last hill up hurt but the two downs gave me needed speed. The run in through the park was tough as I was counting the minutes. I was surprised I had anything left for the acceleration about 200m from the line, but I did. I think I could have pushed harder that last mile.

I was trying to save something and not kill myself as I was not mentally prepared to make this my A race with Boulder coming up in a few weeks.

run harder
Post race
Warm down:

nothing. drank water - talked to Robin. Stood around for a few minutes and had a beer. Best Miller Lite I've ever had - and I hate Miller Lite.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the weather and the poorly timed arrival at the transition in the a.m.

Event comments:

Great race. Would definitely recommend it. Would do it again, but it's difficult to make the drive to Lubbock with the Longhorn right in my backyard. All things being equal, I think Lubbock may be a little easier than the Longhorn, but both are great, challenging races.

Last updated: 2009-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:32 | 1931 meters | 02m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 66/101
Overall: 504/902
Performance: Below average
Suit: Blue Seventy Sleeveless
Course: around the lake - counterclockwise
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:47:58 | 56 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 34/101
Overall: 244/902
my heart rate started in the 170s. I settled in around 160 something. As I tired, my rate went down and held steady in the low 150s. I tried to maintain my cadence in the low 90s while saving something for the run.
Wind: Strong
Course: Lubbock - flat with hills descending and climbing out of canyons. Super windy. I was averaging about 18 into the head wind, 22 when we had a cross wind and 29 when we had a tail wind on the flats. modified out and backs with turn arounds.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 27/101
Overall: 191/902
Heart rate pretty consistently in the low 170s or high 160s.
Course: Out and back with 3 big hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-29 5:06 PM

Subject: Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3

2009-06-30 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2251460

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3
great job out there.  funny my first beer when i crossed the line was a miller 64.  best miller 64 i've ever had and i hate miller 64! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed