General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Flovilla, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 15s
Overall Rank = 85/418
Age Group = Males 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/32
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 4, ate an egg sandwich, showered, and loaded up the car. Got to the race site w/ plenty of time to get my packet, set up my transition, and warm up.
Event warmup:

Jogged for about 10 minutes, stretched a little, then swam for a few minutes. Also, remembered to take my Clif double espresso today!
Swim
  • 12m 15s
  • 656 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was decent. This was my first OWS in a race w/out a wetsuit. I could definitely tell the difference in buoyancy today. Also felt like wearing the tri top caused more drag in the water. Oh well, I tried putting on the tri top in practice after swimming...impossible! I'll just have to get stronger in the water or figure out how to get a dry shirt on a wet body.

Overall, I feel like my swimming is progressing well, although jumping up to the olympic distance in 2 weeks will prove it definitively. My sighting is improving and I feel fairly relaxed in the water. I've also been able to avoid any heavy contact in the water.
What would you do differently?:

I pushed as hard as I felt I should today, but know I can get much faster with more training.
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

This was a good transition for me...I'm much faster when I'm not worried about taking off a wetsuit.

Nothing
Bike
  • 44m 11s
  • 14.3 miles
  • 19.42 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt like today's bike leg was an improvement over my previous 2 races, although slightly slower overall. The hills today were more difficult.

I still need to put in more bike volume, especially on hills. My goal is to be above a 20 mph avg during my next sprint.

On a side note, during the race I had bantered back and forth with a guy riding a roadie. He'd pass me going up hills and I'd pass him going downhill. I saw him take a pretty bad spill towards the end of the bike. Luckily it was right next to some race officials and they were with him within seconds, followed by an ambulance a little later. Anyway, if you're reading this, man I'm praying for you. I hope you're ok and back racing soon. Your fall reminded me how dangerous this sport can potentially be.

Nothing, pushed as hard as I could without trashing my legs.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Another good transition for me.

Only thing I could try is the flying dismount. Not ready for it yet!
Run
  • 24m 50s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

The run section is where I expect to take back a few of the spots I lost on the bike. Today was a different story. My legs felt a little tired and I was starting to get overheated at the beginning of the 5k and it only got worse. Most of the main stretch of road was rolling hills, some a little tough, but overall not too bad. On the other hand, there were two loops into campground areas during the run with extremely steep hills.

I had never previously walked during any running race before today, including my longest race to date, a half marathon in March. I was so tired and hot that I actually had to stop and walk 5 times! Granted, I only allowed myself about 5-10 seconds each time, but wow!

Bottom line, I need more hill/heat/humidity training.

More hill/heat/humidity training beforehand.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched and drank a ton of water. Hung out w/ my wife, buddy Catfish from Nashville, and a few other ATC'ers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of hill training.

Last updated: 2009-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:15 | 656 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/32
Overall: 67/418
Performance: Average
Suit: no wetsuits allowed
Course: Course is somewhat like a counter-clockwise triangle, except the start/finish areas are separated by about 100 yds.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:11 | 14.3 miles | 19.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/32
Overall: 109/418
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Single loop course with mostly rolling hills and few longer climbs.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:50 | 03.1 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/32
Overall: 106/418
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back over rolling hills w/ some BRUTAL hills thrown in.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-30 4:47 PM

User image

Smyrna
Subject: Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park

2009-06-30 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2254221

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park

great race...I saw the guy on the bridge that went down...did not look good.  Nice transitions and there is always something to get better on them....I just can't find the time to practise.

2009-06-30 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2254221

User image

Veteran
Great job. I am considering this race for next year and it was nice to read a recap!
2009-07-03 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2254714

User image

Extreme Veteran

Awesome job on a really tough race! I am so proud of you and you are just going to keep getting faster!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park Rss Feed