United States
DeAxle Sports LLC
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 18m 23s
Overall Rank = 73/135
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/13
Pre-race routine:

This being my first ever race. I did not sleep well the night before. I woke up extra early to get up and out the door. I ate a banana and a breakfast bar on my way to the race. Once I got to the race site I just followed the croud to the transition area and set up my station. I am glad youtube has so much info on how to set things up and how to pratice transitions.
Event warmup:

I went down to the water and got wet. I did a few stretches. But just tried to focus on what I needed to do to finish the race.
Swim
  • 12m 47s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

WOW that was nuts. I had practiced in open water but I guess I never went to the beach and practiced entering from shore. I had always got in the water from a pier or went swimming in a bay setting so getting through the waves and dealing with people thrashing around me was very new; but a big eye opener and something I will be more prepared for next race.
What would you do differently?:

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

I had never practiced getting on my bike and putting my shoes on at the same time. I had already put my shoes on before leaving the transtion area.

Not slack so much while leaving the water.
Bike
  • 37m 52s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Had trouble deciding what gear to be in. I was switching back and fourth between two gears. My legs felt good I was just not going as fast as I wanted to go but Things will inprove as time goes by.

Learn to know when to drink water and how to not feel tottaly off balance when I reach for my bottle. I also need to drink a whole lot more water.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

I did very well with this transtion I just racked my bike backwards. Not wearing socks for the run was great and my feet did very well with it.

Nothing
Run
  • 24m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I have never ran at a pace like I did during race day. I normaly am a a slower pace. My legs felt great after the bike I don't know if it was because I was so pumped up that I did not feel like jello after getting off the bike. I hope to do as well or better at my next race.

Nothing at all
Post race
Warm down:

I am very bad at this. I just walked around ate a half of orange and had a few cups of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being used to the event pace. INEXPERINCE.

Event comments:

I am now hooked and can not wait until my next race. I hope to make triathlons a part of my life for a long time.

Last updated: 2009-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:47 | 437 yards | 02m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/13
Overall: 0/135
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri Shorts
Course: It was easy to see they had huge bright yellow markers in the water. It was straight out across maybe 100 yards and straight back in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:52 | 13 miles | 20.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/13
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Very Flat no hills but dealing with trafic was a little bit of a pain while the course was on the main road. Other then that it was great roads were not to bad off and I liked the down and back because you can gage your pace from the riders in front of you.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:20 | 03.11 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/13
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on a very flat road. Course was very easy. Cops kept the trafic out of the way which was great.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-30 8:14 PM

New user

Subject: Firecracker Sprint Triathlon

2009-07-01 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2254584

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Firecracker Sprint Triathlon
Congratutalyions on your first triathlon Steve! Welcome to the addiction.
2009-07-01 11:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida
Great Job @ your first Tri.  You did really well overall and I hope you come to that realization as you progress in experience and enjoyment of training as well as racing.

Good luck on the rest of your tri's this season and don't be afraid to say "yes" to the obsession.
2009-07-13 12:49 AM

New user

Hey Thanks a lot for the words they really mean a lot. I guess you can say that I have become more and more addicted as the day's go by. I am gearing up for the Tinman here in a few weeks. I think about training a lot more now and I am finding better way of doing things each day. I hope this keeps up. See you at the next race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Firecracker Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed