United States
Setup Events
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 50m 3s
Overall Rank = 57/312
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/37
Pre-race routine:

Went to bed at 10:30 PM and got up at 3 AM to use the bathroom and eat a peanut butter sandwich. Got about another hour's worth of sleep before I got up to go to the race site. Parked at a friend's house and walked the bike to the transition area.
Event warmup:

Took a quick jog around the traily part of the run and then went to the bathroom a final time.
Swim
  • 22m 30s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not a good swim at all for me. I don't know why I started out with the crowd. I only got kicked and grabbed until the big wave finally swam past me. First time I ever took a couple of breast strokes during a tri, but it calmed me down enough to finish the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Seeing that this swim was 20 seconds slower compared to when I did Montclair last year, I clearly need some work on my technique.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Other than being pretty tired from the horrible and inefficient swim, T1 went pretty well.
Bike
  • 52m 11s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 21.43 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought this was a pretty good course. I am glad I had my shoes already on before mounting the bike as the first minute or so of the bike up up a pretty steep hill.

Despite the large amount of people on the road, I didn't have any problems passing or getting passed. I liked the 180 degree turns, as it allowed you to see the people coming up behind you or gauge how far ahead was the next guy I needed to pass. I did take one turn a little too fast, as I almost crashed into an orange cone.

The descent back towards the transition area was nice, as it gave me a moment to stretch out my legs just before the run.
What would you do differently?:

I need to improve my swim so I can get out of the water faster and ride with the front of the pack instead of trying to catch up to them.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

The last 2 times I tried to ride with my feet on top of the shoes, I lost a shoe and went back to get them. This time it went off without a hitch.
Run
  • 33m 4s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 06m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

The first half of each loop was pretty brutal. I was fortunate enough to follow the leader for the first mile, which motivated me to run a little faster from T2. The trail portion of the run was pretty tough as it was uneven and rocky in spots. I am glad I warmed up on the trail portion, so at least I was a little familiar with the path I wanted to take.
Post race
Warm down:

I did a quick cool down and then proceeded to pig out on the post-race foods and drinks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think the horrible swim put me in a bad spot and I was at a disadvantage the rest of the race. I was trying to make up time the entire time.

Event comments:

Would definitely do it again!

Last updated: 2009-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:30 | 1094 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/37
Overall: 179/312
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:31
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:11 | 18.64 miles | 21.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/37
Overall: 76/312
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:04 | 04.97 miles | 06m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/37
Overall: 27/312
Performance: Average
Course: Hills!!
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-30 8:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, Virginia
Subject: Montclair Triathlon

2009-07-01 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2254661

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, Virginia
Subject: RE: Montclair Triathlon
I forgot to mention that the watermelon they had post race was awesome!!  Soooooo refreshing after beating your body up for almost 2 hours.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Montclair Triathlon Rss Feed