United States
Silver Bay YMCA
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 1s
Overall Rank = 60/126
Age Group = Female 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 5:00 and left the house with Jill around 5:15. Stopped to get food (DD bacon and egg on a bagel - not my first choice, but the only thing open!) and coffee along the way. Took about 45 minutes to get to race, then picked up packet, set up transition, etc. Mostly freaked out with Jill over the water temp and how hard we heard the bike course was.
Event warmup:

My usual... walking around. Did wade in to my knees to test out the water temp.
Swim
  • 20m 31s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

See course description... I would be unhappy with my time - there's NO way my pace could have been this slow. But I placed well for the swim, so that makes me feel better.

Did forget to breathe at first, thanks to the COLD. Once I calmed down, breathing got back to normal and I was comfortable. I actually think my sighting was good too.
What would you do differently?:

Breathe, do not panic, remember this is supposed to be my strength.
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

I gave myself a below average since I was very slow about getting on the bike. I couldn't run on the pavement with my bike in my bike shoes - SLOW. I had trouble finding a spot to clip in because someone kept stopping right in front of me having trouble doing to same thing. And I was slow and nervous since this was my first time racing (and only second time off the trainer) with my shoes/pedals. Maybe I should have given myself a higher score because at least I didn't fall?

Practice more on the road with shoes/pedals!
Bike
  • 53m 14s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 14.01 mile/hr
Comments:

All the uphill was unexpected, but I think I did much better changing gears than I have in the past. I didn't drink as much as I had planned, but didn't feel too dehydrated either. The speed on these roads made me very nervous.

Try to get more comfortable with speed. I guess I have to find a way to get that fast first...
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

I think I did ok getting off the bike - I didn't fall! But again, I couldn't run in my shoes on the pavement. I actually got my running shoes on fast (even had time to give the girls a kiss since they had just arrived) but forgot my running belt with my number!

DO NOT forget number! I worried about it the whole run.
Run
  • 29m 48s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Kevin thought I was too slow for a race. But this was actually a good tri running time for me. Much better than I have ever done before. AND it was on hills!

Just run more...
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with the kids, watched them on the playground. Tried to figure out what the plan was for the rest of the weekend.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Looking back on it, I think I might have been holding back a little fearing that I was going to bonk on the run as I usually do.

Event comments:

It was actually a fun and challenging race. I did enjoy it. Two things I wish they would improve on for next year - 1) more space between the heats and Oly and Sprint groups. The swim and bike were WAY too congested. Also, the sprinters had to way FOREVER for the Olys to finish before the post race party. 2) The bike course was a little dangerous in my opinion. The pavement was bumpy, a lot on the downhill where I had limited control. Also, there was a lot of car traffic on the bike course. The cars were fast and careless and it really added to my nerves.

Last updated: 2009-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:31 | 820 yards | 02m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 31/126
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Supposed to be out to the 3rd buoy and back. Normally, I'm skeptical when people say the course was long. But this was about 6 minutes longer than it should have been! Also, there was some confusion about which buoy we were supposed to turn at. Before the race, one of the race crew mentioned that they were switching buoys because they were in the wrong order - we should turn at the yellow buoy. But then at the last minute, right before the horn blew, they mentioned "by the way, it's the orange buoy". WTF?!
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:53:14 | 12.43 miles | 14.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 77/126
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Supposed to be one miles hard uphill, then rolling hills, then downhill back to transition. First half was ALL uphill. Steep uphills. Second half was downhill - but bumpy roads and curvy so a fast speed was hard to maintain.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average