General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BCS Bike Shops Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-01 4:29 PM

New user

Subject: BCS Bike Shops
Can anyone recommend a good bike shop in the Bryan/College Station area for a newbi to go and learn about what kind of bike I need?  Thanks for the help.

2009-07-04 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2256854

User image

Bryan, TX
Subject: RE: BCS Bike Shops
My advice would be to go to Austin, Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio. If you go to Austin, I highly recommend Jack and Adam's Bicycles. Though the people that work at the shops in B/CS are good people and and ride a lot, it's been my experience (over the last decade) that they don't do a good job on the details - sales or maintenance. And none specialize in triathlon. If you're an experienced rider and know EXACTLY what you want and the size you need, then you might be okay shopping locally. But since you're new to the sport, I would look outside the B/CS area. I recommended J&A because they are the shop I'm most familiar with, but there are other good ones in the cities I listed above. Just find a shop that is interested in your past riding history, any type of chronic injuries you might have, how you will be using the bike, and sticks to your price range. Also make sure that they do a good job of measuring you - overall height, inseam length, torso length, arm length, etc. And expect to spend a few hours at the shop going over all this information, getting measured, getting fitted, and then test riding.
2009-07-04 6:54 PM
in reply to: #2261555

User image

Elite
Texas
runnrboy - 2009-07-04 11:59 AM My advice would be to go to Austin, Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio. If you go to Austin, I highly recommend Jack and Adam's Bicycles. Though the people that work at the shops in B/CS are good people and and ride a lot, it's been my experience (over the last decade) that they don't do a good job on the details - sales or maintenance. And none specialize in triathlon. If you're an experienced rider and know EXACTLY what you want and the size you need, then you might be okay shopping locally. But since you're new to the sport, I would look outside the B/CS area. I recommended J&A because they are the shop I'm most familiar with, but there are other good ones in the cities I listed above. Just find a shop that is interested in your past riding history, any type of chronic injuries you might have, how you will be using the bike, and sticks to your price range. Also make sure that they do a good job of measuring you - overall height, inseam length, torso length, arm length, etc. And expect to spend a few hours at the shop going over all this information, getting measured, getting fitted, and then test riding.

I just drove 5 hours to get a bike fitting at Jack and Adams. Well worth the trip. I have to say I'll consider them my "local" bike shop from here on out. Awesome people who absolutely know what they're doing.

2009-07-05 1:13 PM

User image

New user

Richardson
Try Aggieland Cycling. It was a good shop 10 years or so ago. Maybe it still is.
2009-07-05 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2262817

User image

Bryan, TX
UserX - 2009-07-05 1:13 PM

Try Aggieland Cycling. It was a good shop 10 years or so ago. Maybe it still is.

10 years ago, yes. Now, not so much.
2009-07-06 10:32 AM

New user

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.  It looks like I will be heading over to Austin sometime soon to check out Jack & Adams.  I appreciate all of the help!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BCS Bike Shops Rss Feed