General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anderson SC - Info requested Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-02 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Subject: Anderson SC - Info requested
I *may* have the opportunity to relocate to Anderson, SC. (Specifically, the Pendleton area).

Does anyone have thoughts on the area?

How is the area for swimming/biking/running, as well as for other recreational activities?

It's close to Lake Hartwell. Is there a place to do OWS there?

How is the area in general (not just for sports stuff)?

THANK YOU!

It's hard to make a decision like this, so I'm hoping to gain a little more knowledge of the area.

2009-07-02 1:03 PM
in reply to: #2258356

User image

Regular
Lexington, SC
Subject: RE: Anderson SC - Info requested
Anderson is not far from Greenville which is an excellant area for biking and running and something is always happening in the Greenville Downtown area. My daughter went to Anderson University and spent a lot of time in Greenville. Clemson University is about 20 minutes from Anderson also.
2009-07-03 7:37 PM

User image

On your right
Hey there, I'm in Simpsonville, just outside of Greenville.  Anderson is about 30-40 minutes from me.  I don't know much about Anderson itself, but Greenville (20-30) minutes for you, is really a decent place.  Other than the training and such, they have a top notch symphony with a very well known (in those circles at least) conductor.  They also have a nice Broadway series each year, with 4 or 5 shows a season.  The downtown G'ville area is nice, lots of restaurants, a nice park along the river, and a minor league baseball team.

Atlanta isn't that far away, and to the north, you have Ashville and the Blue Ridge mountains for other touristy stuff and hiking.

And I'll even let you taser me.
2009-07-04 5:03 PM

Anderson is a great place to train! We have a very active community of triathletes who train for all levels/distances. There are organized group rides every Tuesday and Saturday that are very accomodating to all riders.  Lake Hartwell is a lake that you can get open water swimming practice. There is a group that swims every wednesday night out of Clemson. Otherwise, you'll find plenty of pool swimmers at the local YMCA, which a very well maintained facility. We moved here 5 years ago and have really enjoyed the area. You can basically train year round and have access to all types of training grounds. Locally, the roads are rolling but a short drive you can be in the mountains. Check out setupevents.com for a list of local events that come through the area as well. As another poster mentioned, Anderson is very close to Greenville which also has a great triathlon community.

As for 'other' activities, there are plenty of state parks for camping, hiking etc... Greenville (30 minutes) has a great downtown with lots of great restaurants. Plus it's only a 2 hr drive to the Smoky Mtns.....2 hr drive to Atlanta and 2 hrs south of Charlotte if you need to get the 'big city' feel... 4hrs to Myrtle Beach.

2009-07-06 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2261874

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Thanks everyone! Your comments are appreciated.

2009-07-06 5:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pelzer, SC
Where are you now?

I'm about half way between Anderson and Greenville and work in Clemson (not far from Pendleton). Lots of places to swim/bike/run around here. You shouldn't have any troubles getting your tri fix. Other stuff includes...

hiking
mountain biking
horseback riding
Off road/ATV trails
ski/snowboarding
water skiing
plenty of golf courses
The beach is only 4 hrs away
Concerts at the Bi-Lo Center
Peace center for the Performing Arts has some big names come
Greenville Drive Minor League baseball

These are just things that I've done. I'm sure there are plenty that I can't think of. If you have more specific questions about the pendleton area, I'll gladly answer them.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anderson SC - Info requested Rss Feed