Other Resources My Cup of Joe » REALLY dumb question about Smoke/Carbon Monoxide detectors... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-02 12:40 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: REALLY dumb question about Smoke/Carbon Monoxide detectors...
Long story short.  My smoke detector is supposed to be hooked up to my alarm system.  I mostly like this because my poor dogs may be home alone all day and unable to dial 911 if the house catches on fire.  Plus my house is much less likely to be engulfed if the fire is caught sooner.  Both plusses.

Okay...so...the alarm folks came out in April and "tested" everything and it was all hunky-dory.

A month later I am painting in the hallway and I am trying to remove the covers on the smoke/Carbon Monoxide detectors to paint.  I discover that what I thought was the smoke detector not only doesn't work AT ALL but the wires behind it are capped off.  HOW the house inspector missed that the smoke detector was completely broken I will never know.  But...whatever.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I mixed up the smoke detector and the Carbon monoxide detector???  They were not labeled in any way I can see that identifies them.  I just assumed that the one with the wires behind it woudl be the smoke detector.  It would be VERY helpful if they literally said "smoke detector" and "Carbon monoxide detector" but they were obviously designed by men.

Anyway...has anyone ever had their Carbon monoxide detector hard-wired to the house?  And is there a good way to tell them apart?

Edited for two many oxygen molecules.

Edited by jldicarlo 2009-07-02 12:41 PM

2009-07-02 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2258654

Veteran
Subject: RE: REALLY dumb question about Smoke/Carbon Monoxide detectors...
Your dogs cannot dial 911?  Sheesh.  Parents these days.  Sorry, I cannot offer any useful information, only extremely un-useful mocking comments.Laughing

Edited by crazyyella 2009-07-02 12:55 PM
2009-07-02 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2258689

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
crazyyella - 2009-07-02 12:54 PM Your dogs cannot dial 911?  Sheesh.  Parents these days.  Sorry, I cannot offer any useful information, only extremely un-useful mocking comments.Laughing
\

Never trained them.
2009-07-02 8:17 PM

User image

Elite
Denver

Weeeeellll.... most CO detectors are plug in, so that that can be moved around the house to where you are sleeping/eating/reading, etc...BUT, there are definitely hardwired CO detectors, as with smoke detectors...

Where are you located? Most city code requires that both have a battery back-up. Did you try hitting the "test" button on either? (If there is one to be found?)

2009-07-03 1:15 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Smoke detectors are usually mounted up near the ceiling because smoke rises.  In some areas, code requires these to be hardwired into a 120Vac supply.  If not hardwired, they're powered by a 9V battery, so will rarely be plugged into an outlet.  (Part of the theory is that the detector should work even if electrical power is off as often happens in a fire.

Carbon Monoxide detectors are usually mounted relatively close to the floor and often in relative proximity to CO sources (furnace & water heater).  Not right at CO sources where they'll give false warnings, but 8-15' away where they'll pick up the accumulating CO before it fills the entire house.  I'm not sure if these can be hardwired, but they are usually plugged into an outlet rather than powered from a 9V battery.  A loss of power usually disables the device generating CO, so they don't worry so much about the detector continuing to work when house power is out. 

2009-07-03 10:55 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Thanks for the suggestions.

I looked up the model number of what I thought was the carbon monoxide detector...it was actually a smoke detector.  How is this for crazy...that one is hardwired to the house...the other one was just a "sham".  It really looks like they just stuck it up there to cover the hole with wires in it!

I was going to buy a carbon monoxide detector to hide the hole...I figured at least then it would be something useful.  But from what y'all said it won't do much good up at the ceiling.

Now I just have a hole in the wall in my hallway...what to do, what to do.

2009-07-04 12:03 AM
in reply to: #2260940

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

jldicarlo - 2009-07-03 11:55 PM

A man would just hang a picture over it. 

2009-07-04 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
If you are still uncertain of whether you have a smoke or CO detector - you can likely take a trip down to your local firehall.  They should be only pleased to help you with identifying which it is you have and making recomendations on what to replace them with if replacement is required. 
2009-07-04 10:03 AM
in reply to: #2260989

User image

Regular
Bay City, MI
RedCorvette - 2009-07-04 1:03 AM

jldicarlo - 2009-07-03 11:55 PM

A man would just hang a picture over it. 

Men Don't hang pictures! just duct tape and plaster will be fine.
2009-07-04 11:04 AM

User image

Regular
jldicarlo - 2009-07-02 12:40 PM Long story short.  My smoke detector is supposed to be hooked up to my alarm system.  I mostly like this because my poor dogs may be home alone all day and unable to dial 911 if the house catches on fire.  Plus my house is much less likely to be engulfed if the fire is caught sooner.  Both plusses.

Okay...so...the alarm folks came out in April and "tested" everything and it was all hunky-dory.

A month later I am painting in the hallway and I am trying to remove the covers on the smoke/Carbon Monoxide detectors to paint.  I discover that what I thought was the smoke detector not only doesn't work AT ALL but the wires behind it are capped off.  HOW the house inspector missed that the smoke detector was completely broken I will never know.  But...whatever.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I mixed up the smoke detector and the Carbon monoxide detector???  They were not labeled in any way I can see that identifies them.  I just assumed that the one with the wires behind it woudl be the smoke detector.  It would be VERY helpful if they literally said "smoke detector" and "Carbon monoxide detector" but they were obviously designed by men.

Anyway...has anyone ever had their Carbon monoxide detector hard-wired to the house?  And is there a good way to tell them apart?

I worked for an alarm company for a couple of years and sold a few hundred systems.  CO detectors are never hardwired to the house because, basically, it would be a liability for the security company--if you had a serious CO leak you wouldn't last 5 minutes. 

Who installed your system, by the way?  ADT?  We had tons of problems with them.  Smoke detectors  are generally placed outside the bedrooms and 1/floor except for the basement (that's where the CO will generally be placed).  I'd just give your security company a call and see what they have on file for what's installed in the house.  Chances are that the 'inspector' came in and checked to see if everything that was connected to the system worked and, since your smoke detector wasn't, he missed it.  if it IS a smoke detector and it's not connected I'd be POd
2009-07-04 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2261446

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Israelg48 - 2009-07-04 11:04 AM
jldicarlo - 2009-07-02 12:40 PM Long story short.  My smoke detector is supposed to be hooked up to my alarm system.  I mostly like this because my poor dogs may be home alone all day and unable to dial 911 if the house catches on fire.  Plus my house is much less likely to be engulfed if the fire is caught sooner.  Both plusses.

I worked for an alarm company for a couple of years and sold a few hundred systems.  CO detectors are never hardwired to the house because, basically, it would be a liability for the security company--if you had a serious CO leak you wouldn't last 5 minutes. 

Who installed your system, by the way?  ADT?  We had tons of problems with them.  Smoke detectors  are generally placed outside the bedrooms and 1/floor except for the basement (that's where the CO will generally be placed).  I'd just give your security company a call and see what they have on file for what's installed in the house.  Chances are that the 'inspector' came in and checked to see if everything that was connected to the system worked and, since your smoke detector wasn't, he missed it.  if it IS a smoke detector and it's not connected I'd be POd

It was ADT and I did call them...they had it on record that they had pinged the smoke detector and it came up good.  Not sure if you saw my post above, but I checked the model number of the thing on the wall (that IS hardwired somehow I think...tough to tell...but the wires go into the wall and are surrounded by muchos gooey stuff) and it IS a smoke detector.  The only one I took off the wall that had capped wires behind it appears to maybe have just been covering a hole in the wall....

2009-07-04 11:32 PM
in reply to: #2261674

User image

Regular
Was your security system installed when the house was being built, or did you have it installed after you moved in?

Most companies will set up wireless systems if the drywall is already up--90% of hardwired systems are installed as the house is being built, either as a stand-alone, hard-wired (detectors are just connected to each other [not connected to any monitoring station]--when one goes off they all go off) or a hard-wired security system (connected to the monitoring station).  If your others are hard-wired they are either hard-wired to each other or hard-wired to the security system.

if ADT pinged it and it's fine then it's set up as a wireless system.  I'm not sure what your model# is, so it may have the capability for both a hard-wire install and a wireless setup. 

Check how many smoke detectors you have and call ADT to see how many they pinged. 

OR, (this is what I would do) set off the smoke detector and see if they answer, then just report a false alarm and call off the fire dept (they'll call you and someone else on your emergency contact list before they send anyone to your house).  If they don't, set off another one to see if they answer.  If they don't, cancel your contract and get a Brinks or APX system.  If it's already a wireless sytem get APX (Brinks will hardwire and it's expensive).

When we were switching systems for our customers ADT would sometimes take hours to realize that we had turned off or cut the connection to their monitoring stations.  People wouldn't believe us until we pulled the plug and waited. 

I'd just make sure that your system is being monitored correctly and the response time is adequate.

Edited by Israelg48 2009-07-04 11:34 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » REALLY dumb question about Smoke/Carbon Monoxide detectors... Rss Feed