General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Men's Health/Women's Health magazine Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-29 12:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Subject: Men's Health/Women's Health magazine
I just got a postcard yesterday advertising the new Women's Health magazine (put out by the same folks who do Men's Health) and was wondering if there any opinions on either magazine. I am always looking for a good general health/fitness mag and have yet to find one that isn't to "fitness" extreme or too focused on beauty. any suggestions would be great.

also for you triathlon subscribers. do they seem to provide a good balance of advice for all levels of athletes and all distances. i have only picked up one issue and it was really IM focused. yes it was the current issue with the article on the second Kona but it seemed like the training advice was for the longer distances. as a sprinter and barely international distance athlete, while it is nice to read about training for an IM or a half but not much help with my training goals.

thanks,
deanna

2005-04-29 12:32 PM
in reply to: #150063

Subject: RE: Men's Health/Women's Health magazine
instigator - 2005-04-29 12:25 PM

I just got a postcard yesterday advertising the new Women's Health magazine (put out by the same folks who do Men's Health) and was wondering if there any opinions on either magazine. I am always looking for a good general health/fitness mag and have yet to find one that isn't to "fitness" extreme or too focused on beauty. any suggestions would be great.

also for you triathlon subscribers. do they seem to provide a good balance of advice for all levels of athletes and all distances. i have only picked up one issue and it was really IM focused. yes it was the current issue with the article on the second Kona but it seemed like the training advice was for the longer distances. as a sprinter and barely international distance athlete, while it is nice to read about training for an IM or a half but not much help with my training goals.

thanks,
deanna

"Runner's World" is fantastic! Not only about running, either--really some interesting nutritional and injury-proofing tips...I'm thinking of subscribing. "Health" is another good magazine--that is filled with great advice on everything from diseases to fitness to nutrition to general health...it's very good. Enjoyable read.
2005-04-29 12:35 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

instigator - 2005-04-29 11:25 AM I just got a postcard yesterday advertising the new Women's Health magazine (put out by the same folks who do Men's Health) and was wondering if there any opinions on either magazine. I am always looking for a good general health/fitness mag and have yet to find one that isn't to "fitness" extreme or too focused on beauty. any suggestions would be great. thanks, deanna

I subscribed to Men's Health for years (subscription lapsed, I need to renew) and your description seems to fit. I found it just a little heavy on the weight training (more emphasis on form rather than function of the body, heavy ab emphasis), but that was a good balance against the Runner's World, Bicycling and Triathlete to which I also subscribed. I really liked their style, lot of subtle humor, plenty of health and nutrition advice. Magazine had a lot of non-fitness information too: style, fashion, book and music reviews, tips on how to pick up chicks.

2005-04-29 1:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Cole Harbour, NS
Agree with Bear, I am also a subsciber and I find it useful/enjoyable as a general type mag. my wife also like the Womens version.
2005-04-29 2:02 PM

instigator - 2005-04-29 12:25 PM

thanks,
deanna

Hi deanna--I must have read your post too fast or something--I just realized that you are asking how how Women's/Men's Health magazines are...ha! I thought you wanted an alternative. It's Friday, and I must be tired.
I enjoy Women's Health very much--haven't been reading it until very recently...but, so far what I see--it's a great magazine for overall fitness...looks like they have a lot of weight lifting inserts (mini posters) ....but it's better than Cosmo or something along those lines which just dabble in fitness....one of those "girlie" type magazines.

But, the other ones I mentioned are good, too.
2005-04-29 2:58 PM
in reply to: #150128

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
no worries sharonnagy!! i was actually looking for both. as a runner's world subscriber, i agree with you the benefits of having it around. i am looking for second mag that has general overall fitness. like you said, something that just doesn't dabble in fitness. or focus on the latest diet trends...

deanna

2005-04-29 5:17 PM

Master
Boston
I subscribe to Womens Health and LOOOVE it. I was always stealing my boyfriend's Mens' Health and now I have my own..of course, now he steals my magazine sometimes. I've heard Her Sports is also good...
2005-04-29 10:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
LOL, we just got a copy of a new mag called "Geezer Jock" that seems more in tune with my needs! I have no idea where it came from, it came addressed to my husband (who is turning the big 5-0 next month) but it was a refreshing switch from the teeny-bopper-centric Health magazine.

Geezer though I may be, I really can't stand Prevention. It seems to be all about encouraging couch potatoes to go for a walk and eat muesli. Ugg. But I like "Energy for Women" before it tanked.

-- Gwendal
2005-04-30 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
I have been a reader of Men's Health for years. Great articles on all sorts of men's issues. My only complaint is the fashion issues. Nobody dresses like that!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Men's Health/Women's Health magazine Rss Feed