General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice needed: Should I buy this bike for my wife Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-03 8:24 AM

Subject: Advice needed: Should I buy this bike for my wife
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a Tri bike for my Tri-loving wife.  She's upgrading from an old road bike.  Money is a little tight so we can't really afford what we want -- a Felt B16 or Cervelo P2C.  My wife is 5'4, short legs, broad shoulders, muscular.  She's already completed a full Ironman so is pretty serious about the sport.  I can buy the bike described below for $1,000.  Does this make sense?  Any advice appreciated.

Bike description:

"This is a 2006 Orbea Aletta triathlon/timetrial bike.
  It is a Small with a 53cm toptube.  The seat tube angle is 76 degrees.  This setup would retail for over $2500.  The frame is made from aero shaped aluminum tubing with carbon fiber seat and chain stays for stiffness and comfort.  It is hand made in Spain.  The frame is super light (only 1400 grams) and very comfortable.  The Orbea AC Aero fork has aero carbon fiber legs with an aluminum steerer for strength.  It is held in place with an integrated sealed bearing headset with carbon fiber headset spacers.  The wheels are Shimano RS10s.  They are very stiff, strong, and fast (they only have 200 miles on them)!  The tires are Specialized All Condition Armadillo Elites.  The drivetrain is all Shimano Ultegra 10 speed with Dura Ace bar-end shifters (the chain is a SRAM PC-1050 and the cassette is a Shimano CS-5600). The cranks are FSA SLK carbon fiber units with an external bottom bracket.  The brake are Orbea’s being pulled by Tektro aero levers.  The cockpit consists of a Profile Razor aero carbon fiber seatpost, Selle Italia Nova saddle, a Profile Alumin-X aero bar with carbon extensions, and a Pro PLT stem.  The Profile water bottle cages are included.
"

2009-07-03 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2260042

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Advice needed: Should I buy this bike for my wife

Not the most experienced when it comes to bike buying, but If it fits her it sounds like a good deal to me!

2009-07-03 9:38 AM

Regular
Hamilton
By no means am I an expert on anything..that is a very good rpice for that kind of set up BUT
If your wife is 5'4" I would say that I think the 53cm top tub length would be too long for her. You 'might' be able to get it to work for her but I think the changes youd make would have a negative impact on the handling of the bike.
Again..take my words with a grain of salt..I'm sure someone more qualified than I will comment as well.
2009-07-03 4:10 PM

Master
Hate to say it, but 53 will probably be too long. If possible, try it out, but at 5'4", even 51cm is a bit large - 48-49 is typical for women.

I'm a short male at 5'4", and my Cervelo P2C is a 51cm. At my trigroup workout, the other guys on P3s are 5'7" riding a 51cm and 5'5" riding a 49cm. Of course, this is Cervelo fitting, so Orbea can be different.

Don't underestimate the importance of the fit - an ill-fit will render the best bike nearly unusable,and 1cm can make or break on racing bikes. 
2009-07-04 6:55 AM

Thanks for all your advice!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice needed: Should I buy this bike for my wife Rss Feed