United States
MinneMan Triathlon
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 50s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/14
Pre-race routine:

4:50 out of bed. 5:20 out the door. Picked up my friend Robin around 5:30 and made it to the race around 6:30. Not tons of extra time to spare, but didn't have to rush either. We had to park in a lot pretty far from the transition area, but we just hopped on our bikes and rode over. Before the race I had some water, a bagel w/ cream cheese, and a couple Clif Shot Bloks. Felt strong and ready to rock!
Event warmup:

Nothing.
Swim
  • 10m 55s
  • 528 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Hmm, this swim wasn't great. Was crowded. I should have positioned myself more towards the front or been more aggressive in the beginning or maybe both! I felt like I was getting blocked in by slower swimmers but didn't have anywhere to go. Once we hit the turn around I picked up the pace and felt ok for the second half. So just an ok swim. However, I can't be too disappointed. Last year's swim: 11:31. Chopped off more than a half a minute!
What would you do differently?:

The swim is definitely my weak link. Biking and running are good. Train your weakness, right Sarah? Get to the pool more often! Swim open water more often! Age group rank was middle of the pack.... (7/14)
Transition 1
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

Wetsuit was a little slow coming off. There were two women in my transition area when I got there. I beat both of them out.....not sure what they were doing there because I wasn't blazing fast :( Three women ahead of me in the age group rankings all had faster T1s.

Do more triathlons. This is my fourth....and maybe, just maybe, practice transitions....
Bike
  • 37m 57s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.55 mile/hr
Comments:

I love biking. I love it, love it! :) I think this course is over the 13 miles it claims to be. My bike computer said 13.4 when I finished and I have a hard time believing my computer is that off. If it was 13.4 I averaged over 21 mph, but I'll take the 20.6 average anyway. First time averaging over 20 mph in a triathlon. I am pumped :) I had a lot of fun on the bike. I was pushing it but never felt like I couldn't give a little more. I was going back and forth with this guy for awhile. He'd pass me on small downhills, I'd catch up on the slight uphills. I think he ended up finishing right ahead of me. I was a little bit hesitant on the turns since I wrecked last weekend going around a corner but never lost too much speed. I ate half a GU around mile 10 and drank when I was thirsty.
Last years bike: 39:22. Close to 1.5 minutes faster, not too shabby :)

Not much. I got aerobars and I am going to put them on my bike and try to get used to them by the time my next sprint rolls around in August. Might be able to get even faster, woot :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Everything went smoothly, but alas the three women ahead of me had faster T2s. Anyone see a trend?
Run
  • 23m 32s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Looking at this time (and the age group rank) I feel like I should be ecstatic. Going sub 8 min pace is really good for me and yet I feel like I could have given a little more. I like the sprints, but I definitely feel like by the time my legs get going the run is over. Only got passed by a few people on the run (one of them was Sal, he looked great!). Overall felt good but would like to get my sprint tri run splits down to 7:30 pace.
Last years time: 24:18
PR'd this run from last year by more than 30 seconds.

Hmm, gotta start doing speed work. I can run faster than that!
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing much. Chatted with a few friends. Said hello to Sal. Ate the fruit available in the post race tent. Would have liked to stick around and see if I could win the bike they were giving away but had to get my friend back to the cities.

Event comments:

I feel really good about today. I wanted to come close to last years time or maybe drop a minute or so. I came in more than 3 minutes faster and was faster than last years pace in the swim bike and run (and even in both transitions!) Hopefully get on the podium sometime soon :) Enough of this fourth place business!

Last updated: 2009-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:55 | 528 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/14
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless QR
Course: Out and back in a triangle shape.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:56
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:57 | 13 miles | 20.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/14
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Country roads outside the park. Very flat. Lots of volunteers at intersections.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:32 | 03 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/14
Performance: Good
Course: Flat out and back.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-05 3:53 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: MinneMan Triathlon

2009-07-05 4:39 PM
in reply to: #2262982

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
Subject: RE: MinneMan Triathlon

Nice race, looked like you had big improvements from last year.  Keep it up and you'll be on the podium in no time.  Although 4/14 is nothing to be ashamed of, great race.

2009-07-05 5:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO
Excellent performance! Congrats on a kick-azz race!

Edited by jcash683 2009-07-05 5:30 PM
2009-07-06 8:51 AM
in reply to: #2263081

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Great job!  I am impressed you were able to make improvements in all areas, considering how well you did at this race last year.  The transition times will come with practice - sign up for more races    It's hard to practice that without the adrenaline and excitement of a race.  I am sure you'll love the aerobars.  You'll be unstoppable!

2009-07-06 8:58 AM

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis
Great race for you; glad to hear it!  Congrats on the improvements and placing - it's always awesome to see your times drop Thanks for the report!

Cheers, Chris
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MinneMan Triathlon Rss Feed