General Discussion Race Reports! » Crystal River Sprint #2 w/ 4 tubes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Crystal River Sprint #2 w/ 4 tubes - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Crystal River, Florida
United States
DRC Sports
Total Time = 1h 15m 17s
Overall Rank = 41/223
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 2/15
Pre-race routine:

Oh boy, what a prerace routine. Got to the race and put my front wheel on. For some reason, my tube wouldnt take air. As quick as I filled it up, it would leak out. This was wonderful, as my last race I had my first flat ever with my race wheels and walked back to transition. Oh well, no big deal, I'll just take out one of my other tubes and change it out. So I grab a tube that already has a valve extender on it and put it on and get my wheel back together. I get on my bike and don't even get a foot clipped in and BOOM!!!!! I'm like you have got to be f*cking kidding me, I just blew a tube. Alright, so I'm starting to get pretty pissed off, but I still have another tube so I'm good. So I put on my valve extender and start to put some air in it before I put my wheel back together to make sure its going to work. What do you know, I have no teflon tape and air just slowly seeps out of the valve without it. Again, no worries, theres a bike shop here and I still have plenty of time so I'll just go get some teflon tape and put my wheel back together and go put my bike in transition. So I go to see the bike shop that was there and it ends up being one guy, a bike stand, and what appears to be a very small tackle box. So the exchange goes something like this....
Me "Hey, can I borrow some teflon tape?"
Him "I don't have any of that stuff, what in the world would you need that for?"
Me (holding up my tube/valve extender) "This"
Him "Oh........damn, that sucks, no I don't have any teflon tape, I'll make sure to carry it from now on."
Me "Thanks"
so now I'm starting to think that maybe I'll be swimming and DNFing for the second straight time. So I get back to my car and ask my buddy Robby (bicyclepete) if he has any duct tape. Well I try some duct tape and my wheel is taking and maintaining pressure so I'm good. Now I need to get my stuff in transition ASAP and get to the swim start. I get to transition and my bike is the last one arriving on my rack so of course no space. I had to rack on the opposite side of the rack than I normally do, but I couldn't gripe now, I had to get in the water. Then I hear the race director say that the race was going to start late because they were having trouble setting up the bouys. Thank goodness, my HR can get back to normal and I have plenty of time. I was in wave 4 so I knew I had at least 6 min from the first wave going off.
Event warmup:

Jumped in and swam out to one of the turn bouys, felt pretty good. Came back on land and looked at the course, and it looked a little longer than usual, so I decided to put on my speedsuit. It doesnt really take me any extra time to take it off, so I went with it and jumped back in for another quick swim out to the turn bouy and back.
Swim
  • 06m 15s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim, felt good and was out pretty quickly. Could tell I was one of the first guys in my wave, so I felt pretty good.
Transition 1
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

I had my drivetrain side shoe rubber banded in and my left shoe band apparently broke so as I jumped on my bike, I put my foot in my right shoe immediately and then realized my left shoe was hanging down. It actually worked really well, and I think I may use this method from now on.
Bike
  • 40m 40s
  • 15 miles
  • 22.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Not a bad ride. My fitness isn't what it should be right now, as I really haven't been too diligent with my plan since my HIM in May. I need to buckle down and get my head out of my a$$. Definitely not an average I'm happy with, I should be 23+.
What would you do differently?:

Start hitting my plan like I should be.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Some guy almost wrecked me at the dismount line but I didn't tell him I was flying by him on his left so I didn't say anything.

Announce myself no matter how little course is left.
Run
  • 26m 43s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

About a mile in I was passed by another clydesdale and there was nothing I could do about it. I just didn't have what it took to keep up with him. My only thought then was to hang on to 2nd place, which I did. My run is just brutal, plain and simple. I am really getting pissed about it but I apparently haven't done much about it. So now is the time BT, you read it here, I'm finally going to start shedding a few pounds and really start putting in my mileage both listed and not listed in my program. So check my training logs and leave me some motivation both pleasant as well as some honest HTFU get up when its still dark out stuff.

I did what I could. I need to take my run training and my nutrition more seriously. I don't eat bad, I just don't eat like I could.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and shade and sat for a min. Checked the results but I pretty much knew where I stood.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run, yet again. Its becoming pretty repetitive on this part of my race reports.

Last updated: 2009-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:15 | 440 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 20/223
Performance:
Suit: Xterra Velocity .02
Course: Trapezoid shape, out then right hand turn straight across and another right turn.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:50
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:40 | 15 miles | 22.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/15
Overall: 36/223
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back course that was somewhat windy.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal