Avalon, New Jersey
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m
Overall Rank = 137/342
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/
Pre-race routine:

Got up and dressed. Grabbed a quick jelly sandwich and rode the 15 blocks down to the start.
Event warmup:

Set up transition and chatted with my Aunt and Uncle and then Shelly123. Put my wetsuit on and went for a quick swim to get comfortable. Felt good in the water. Noticed the current was stronger than it had been the last two days and it was going in a the opposite direction.
Swim
  • 13m 22s
  • 440 yards
  • 03m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great first 100 meters or so and then the crowd collapsed down on me at the bouy. I picked the wrong line to start and got flustered by the crowd coming up on me from my left. Got all out of whack and couldn't settle down after that. Same old song and dance. A better line would have eliminated a lot of the congestion and I probably would have had a better swim even it it meant swimming a little further. The overall time also included a LONG run to transition. My actual swim time was something like 8:50, plus a 4:00 plus minute run back to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Pick a better line to start. Learn to settle down in a crowd.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

First time I tried mounting with my shoes already on the bike. Went well. Used the rubber band through the loop on the back of the shoe and the quick release. Used body glide on the heel of my shoe and my foot slipped in real nice. Not sure how much of a time saver is it but it worked for me.

Nothing, overall it went well. Probably could get out of my suit a little faster but since this was only the second time I've used it for a race, I'm a little out of practice.
Bike
  • 36m 9s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt great on the P2. Had a lot of fun on the bike. Got passed but did a fair amount of passing myself. I ride at a low cadence and I feel like I could ride at a higher one but I don't know how to go about it without losing speed. Need to read up on this. Its probably basic cycling knowledge.

Maybe ride at a higher cadence and go faster.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Everything went well, including the dismount, except I forgot my race belt. Whoops.

Remember my race belt. That's all.
Run
  • 25m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Got things under control over the first mile. Saw a fellow TT club member and then Shelly123. I picked it up after the first turn and passing the finish gave me another little boost. Tried to keep an even pace. Started getting passed a bit more after the second turn, and saw Shelly123 again. After the third turn (and seeing Shelly123 one more time) I tried to pick it up a little bit. The deep sand finish is tough but I passed a couple people just before the line which was fun.

More speed work to get the 5K time down. More bricks. Overall I was pretty pleased with the effort.
Post race
Warm down:

Ice cold towels at the end are nice. Water ice and chocolate milk are fun too. Introduced Ruby and parents to Scott's friend Michelle. Watched my uncle finish (tight hammy forced him to walk).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nerves in the water was the main obstacle. Need to get this in check to really improve my times.

Event comments:

Hope to do it again next year.

Last updated: 2009-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:22 | 440 yards | 03m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 227/342
Performance: Bad
Suit: Yes
Course: Loop
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:09
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:09 | 12 miles | 19.92 mile/hr
Overall: 122/342
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Three loops. Think it measured a little long, but only by .25 at the most.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:38 | 03.11 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Overall: 161/342
Performance: Good
Course: They had to change the course due to some nesting shore birds. Turned out to be fine. Passed the finish twice so it was good for the spectators and family to see racers more than once.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-06 7:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Barrington, NJ
Subject: Avalon Islandman Triathlon

2009-07-06 10:25 AM
in reply to: #2263922

User image

Elite
Reston VA
Subject: RE: Avalon Islandman Triathlon
Great race Kevin! That swim was a challenging one.. I was worried I was going to get seasick!

Nice seeing you so frequently on the run. And meeting Ruby and more of your family members, of course
2009-07-06 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2264423

User image

Veteran
Barrington, NJ

shelly123 - 2009-07-06 11:25 AM Great race Kevin! That swim was a challenging one.. I was worried I was going to get seasick! Nice seeing you so frequently on the run. And meeting Ruby and more of your family members, of course

It was nice seeing people on the run though I kept waiting for you to come along from behind! It was nice meeting your parents, while it was only briefly, they seem really nice.  Sorry I couldn't stay for the awards, had to get home to help Stacey with the kids.

2009-07-07 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2263922

User image

Master
SMIBville
very nice job.  Just keep doing the OW thing...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Avalon Islandman Triathlon Rss Feed