General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st Tri Nerves Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-06 11:03 AM

User image

New user

Subject: 1st Tri Nerves
How do you deal with the pre-race nerves leading up to a race? My first race (Muncie Endurathon- Sprint) is in 5 days and it has definitely become a mental game at this point.

Jeff

2009-07-06 11:50 AM
in reply to: #2264559

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: 1st Tri Nerves

Was not able to look at your training logs, but if you have out in the time, relax and trust your training.

And remember to have fun.  There is only one first tri! 

2009-07-06 5:20 PM

I will be doing my 3rd tri all sprint distance within  4 weeks. as said before hopefully your training has given you the fitness base you need to survive your first triathlon. Yes I do mean survive as I do not consider myself to be in competition with anyone else at this point. So I feel like a winner after every event. Good luck and yes you can run after getting off the bike!!
2009-07-07 2:26 PM

User image

Master
I have a whopping two Tri's under my belt, so take my advice for what it is worth.
I focus on only those things I have control over.
I make a copy of the Checklist and make sure I have all of my gear and make sure it is in good working order.
Next get a hold of the race maps. Memorize your routes.
Next I mentally go over the race step by literal step.
I envision my self getting into the waterand the start of the race. If ist is a pool swim hitting every wall, open water rounding every bouy, etc....
Picture your transition what are you taking off and  putting on.
Picture the bike route and going through it
Same thing with the rest.
Right before the race I sit down by myself away from the rest of the crowd and center myself.
I also say a prayer, but that is just me.
For me focusing on the details takes away the worry because I know that I have done everything in my power to remove all variables.

Verga 
2009-07-08 3:20 PM

Jeff,

I used to be quite a jock, and I gave it up to coach high school sports.  Im great at coacing, motivating and relaxing theplayers, but not as good at it myself.  I am due for my first tri this saturday.  I have been handling the nerves by hyper focusing on nutrition and transitions this week, and by activly reducing my training this week.  Apart from that I have a few thoughts in my head:

1) It's number one, so there are no expectations
2) I have only been training since April... and I was BAD in April
3) Im treating it like a pre- season scrimage... I have one more scheduled for September and that one is in my home town... I want to kick a$$ at that one.
4) Just don't F*ing stop, and don't finish DFL

All that stuff people say about enjoying it and relaxing... I 'll save for tri number 2.  I ll be a bundle of nerves on Saturday.  Just trust your training, go at your best pace, and try to be the fastest person in the last 100 yards of the run.

CAN DO!
Good Luck!
2009-07-08 3:55 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

I didn't get one wink of sleep prior to my first Olympic tri, I was soooooo nervous.  This year, when I did that same one, I took Advil PM, set 6 alarms (3 on watch, 3 on phone) and actually slept (still woke up before any of the alarms, which I always do, but it's good to know they are there to avoid the every-10-min clock check all night).  I knew I could do the distance, had done the training, and had all my gear in order--so I had to just sleep and it worked!  Do what it takes but make sure you get to bed early and fall asleep!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st Tri Nerves Rss Feed