General Discussion Race Reports! » 12th Annual Memorial Hermann Sugarland Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

12th Annual Memorial Hermann Sugarland Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sugarland, Texas
United States
Finish Line Sports
90+F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 6s
Overall Rank = 371/555
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 13/27
Pre-race routine:

We had driven down from Ft Worth on Sat and were staying about ten minutes from the park. My daughter raced with me. We got up at five, I ate some grape tomatoes and drank my green drink. We got parked by 5:35 and had to walk about 1/2 mile to the pool. We both had our tires aired up by the bike people there since I never can get mine done properly and my husband sent us off by ourselves!

Event warmup:

It was a fifty meter pool and my last experience in a long pool was St Paddy's where I still had a little panic problem. I swam 200 meters and felt pretty good getting out.

Swim
  • 08m 42s
  • 328 yards
  • 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was happy with my swim. Since I started working on breath control in my workouts I have not had a panic problem in a tri. I actually passed several people and of course was passed by a bunch. I smacked my toe on the lane rope and that hurt but I survived. Got stuck behind two people at one point or I might have had a best time.
I was happy that I managed to hoist myself out of the pool instead of being dragged out by the volunteers!
What would you do differently?:

Just keep working out. I was happy with the swim
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

My time was about 2 minutes. I have to admit I don't try real hard for fast transitions. There is only so fast I can get my bike shoes on
Bike
  • 33m 57s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.67 mile/hr
Comments:

I was happy with this bike leg because I just wanted to have my pace over 15 mph. I did 17. I passed about 10 people and was passed by a lot more than that! I didn't like the rough road surface over a great deal of the course but other than that it's very peaceful,pleasant course.

Train more of course, and try to push harder. I really think I could have pushed it on the bike more than I did
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

About three minutes for this transition. Above comments apply!
Run
  • 33m 48s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt better starting out than I did in 2003, last time I was on this course. However, since wearing my running shoes at the Great Sand Dunes (bad idea)I have had tiny bits of sand still in my shoes. Those tiny bits contributed to blisters on both my heels by the end of the race. It was painful and I had to pee (as usual). So, of course, I am assuming that without those two factors I'd have had a great run. It was hot, but they had people spraying you with hoses at the water stations so I was comfortable the whole time.
I would like to have made 10 minute miles but I was satisfied.

Get the sand out of my shoes! Run run run, although I have lengthened my training runs and feel like I'm improving.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with my daughter by the spray park and watched people finish. Had a banana and some water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. The heat was not a factor.

Event comments:

This is such a fun venue and Andy Stewart puts on a great race. It is just a fun weekend away for us. The course is great for my sixteen year old who is just getting into adult tris.

Last updated: 2009-07-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:42 | 328 yards | 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/27
Overall: 0/555
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 300 meters pool swim. 3 lanes up and back.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:57 | 10 miles | 17.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/27
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Nice flat course through residential streets
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:33:48 | 03 miles | 11m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/27
Performance: Average
Course: Nice run through neighborhoods. Lots of shade trees.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-06 12:40 PM

Subject: 12th Annual Memorial Hermann Sugarland Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 12th Annual Memorial Hermann Sugarland Triathlon Rss Feed