General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Caesar Creek International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waynesville, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 37m 5s
Overall Rank = 102/220
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 13/24
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5AM. Ate a bowl of oatmeal and two waffles with peanut butter and a Diet Coke for breakfast. Drank a bunch of water on the drive out. Had everything pretty much laid out and/or packed up. Left the house a few minutes after 6AM for the 45 min drive. It sprinkled on the drive up so I was worried it might rain a bunch but it never did. It was also about 63 degrees as I was driving up and was a little cold at the race start but was perfect by the time I got on the bike.
Event warmup:

Arrived at the race to find the packet pickup line a mile long. Waited forever in line anxiously looking at my watch knowing my warmup time was slipping away. Finally made it through that line then had to hop in another line just to get body marked. Seems like there has to be a more efficient way to do this. Anyway, by the time I got everything done, I was one of the last ones on my TA rack. I hate being that guy that has to slide people over. They really had too many people assigned to the racks. I thought I arrived in plenty of time but I guess I should've gotten there earlier.
Swim
  • 28m 55s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim time turned out to be my best ever which is surprising considering I've had minimal swim training. I started out right in the mix of people but never really got clobbered at all. My plan was just to keep a smooth, steady pace throughout, which I pretty much did. I remember feeling very tired right away down the first long stretch. That worried me that I may really run out of gas. I got warmed up shortly after and felt pretty good for the most part. I was very pleased with my navigation as I kept a pretty straight line most of the time. I did catch a couple of drafts but nothing major. I was looking the whole time but couldn't seem to work it out. Rounded the right side buoy and swam till my hands hit sand, got up and charged up the beach. Swim clock doesn't stop until you hit T1 which takes about a minute or more to get over the beach and up a concrete path. I remember some people walking or trotting up to T1, I just hauled ass past them and into T1.
What would you do differently?:

I guess just train more and work on technique.
Transition 1
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Got into T1 and got directly to my bike. Kicked wetsuit off with feet and was able to get my sunglasses on at same time. Helmet on after that, grabbed bike and ran to mount line with shoes attached. I cut about three inches off the legs of my wetsuit which really helped getting it off. I may actually cut another inch or so. Fastest T1 ever.

Get to race early and get a better rack assignment with bike facing other direction.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 13s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.56 mile/hr
Comments:

Got moving on bike and got feet into shoes without too much trouble, but could've gone a bit smoother. Started out riding pretty hard and after a few miles decided to take it back a notch so I didn't kill my run. The bike was relatively uneventful but I do like the one loop course quite a bit. I got passed by quite a few riders and passed only a couple, but still felt pretty good. Ate two GU gels, 4 Endurolytes, and a couple of Tylenol. Drank two and a half bottles of water which was plenty since it was not very hot. I actually felt like I had to pee a bit towards the end of the bike but I was able to finish the race without stopping. At mile 10 there is a pretty steep climb which I made up without too much trouble but I did get passed by a couple people. The wind was a bit of a factor and it slowed me up some at times, but I think it was at my back or crosswinds a lot of the time. There was a long out and back section around miles 15-20 the was nice because you could see the other riders going the other direction. After that, there were some more rollers, then a left turn onto SR 73 where I was able to make some good time. Right turn into the park, shoes off on the way in and flying dismount at line.

Just need some more time on the bike. Weightlifting for legs would help.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

This was my fastest T2 ever. Kept it pretty simple. Bike shoes off while on the bike, then hustled the bike into the rack and unclipped helmet. Helmet off, slide run shoes on without socks, grab hat and gels and go. No socks saves serious T2 time and did not slow me down on the run. I did get some blisters but not until late in the run and it did not affect my run time.

Nothing.
Run
  • 49m 53s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I've run this race a couple times before and don't particularly care for the run course. I don't like running on all the gravel and long grass or passing/being passed on the single track ruts over the levy. That being said, I had a fantastic run! Started out on the run with heavy legs but feeling pretty decent. The weather was still cool and overcast which was very nice however it was pretty humid out. Legs loosened up and I felt like I was moving at a pretty good pace. Seemed like I was getting passed by a lot of people still... some just like I was standing still! I did eventually catch a few back in the end but not many. I took one GU gel around mile 2 or 3 I think. I started to try to check my mile splits however there was no mile marker for mile 2, then I forgot to look at it at mile 3. I thought I was around an 8:30 pace so I was obviously elated to see the 8:03 when done. At about mile 4 I passed a guy then I thought I heard him moving up behind me for the re-pass. Turns out he was just using me as a pacer. For the next two miles I paced him and he pushed me. When I got off the gravel and onto the paved trail section which had a downhill, I really turned it up a notch and hustled back to the finish. Stayed strong all the way to the finish and passed a few people in the final stretch. When done I felt pretty good like I should've pushed it a little harder. I was fine with my effort though. As it turns out, this was my fastest 10K run EVER! Including stand alone running races! My run training has really improved in the last year and I think losing 14 pounds has helped as well.

Maybe try to push it a little harder. I felt like I still had a lot in the tank when done.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some orange slices, chips, cookies, bananas, and pretzels! Usually not hungry right after a race but all this sounded good to me. Chatted with another runner for a bit and stretched out briefly... should've stretched more. Gathered up gear from TA and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really, this was a great race for me and a PR in every aspect except the bike... and even that was pretty good. The best way for me to improve is just to keep training hard.

Event comments:

HFP always runs a good race and the price is great. Seems like they could've gotten the registration line through a bit faster but in the end it was fine. I enjoy these races and am thankful to have them in my area. I would always recommend an HFP race to any triathlete... experienced or beginner.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:55 | 1640 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/24
Overall: 82/220
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Sleeveless
Course: Two laps on counterclockwise rectangle. Beach start, no beach run in between laps.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:10
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:16:13 | 24.85 miles | 19.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/24
Overall: 125/220
Wind: Some
Course: One loop course which is really nice. Roads are pretty much smooth for the most part. One tough climb at mile 10. A long out and back section somewhere around 15-20. Nice to see the other riders going the other direction.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:53 | 06.21 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/24
Overall: 101/220
Mile 1 - 7:21, Mile 2&3 - 16:45, Mile 4 - 7:57, Mile 5 - 8:20, Mile 6 - 8:01, Mile 6.2 - 1:27. Not sure if these mile markers were set up exactly right because I have a hard time believing I ran the first mile in 7:21.
Course: Two laps out a bunch of gravel, over a paved trail, then out over a rocky single track levy and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-06 10:06 PM

User image

Liberty Township, Ohio
Subject: Caesar Creek International Triathlon

2009-07-08 8:08 PM
in reply to: #2266299

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Caesar Creek International Triathlon
Congratulations on the PR!

I also felt tired that first lap of the swim but I definitely found my groove during lap two. The weather was absolutely perfect for a fast race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek International Triathlon Rss Feed