MinneMan Triathlon
66F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m 11s
Overall Rank = 114/393
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/14
Pre-race routine:

I got to the event site very early (5:15am) and got a GREAT parking spot because my wife was volunteering in the transition area. I was one of the first to set up my transition area and helped out a triathlon newbie (who didn't sign up in the novice category) set up his area.
Event warmup:

I took a quick jog, but otherwise just walked and stretched a lot. The race started around 7:30am, so I started swimming a couple 100m stretches around 7:10am to get used to the cold water... or at least cold in comparison to what I'm used to in Texas.
Swim
  • 11m 36s
  • 528 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

I thought the swim went pretty well. Unlike my first triathlon in Tyler, TX, last year (where I did sidestroke for about 90% of the course), I was able to freestyle the entire course!
What would you do differently?:

As I got to the end of the swim course and into the shallow water (but still shy of the finish buoys), I stood up and started running through the mid-thigh deep water towards the shore. That was a mistake because I ended up working my leg muscles more than I wanted prior to the bike!
Transition 1
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

Everything went pretty smoothly, but I think I need to practice my transitions here at home. Perhaps I need to setup a small transition rack in my backyard and run through the process so I can get my time down.

Practice at home.
Bike
  • 39m 32s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Because I was traveling from Texas, I borrowed a friend's bike and rode it for the tri. It was a really nice LiteSpeed titanium bike with Ultegra components throughout. I brought my own saddle and pedals so it would be as comfortable as possible.

Unfortunately, around Mile 6, the seat post started sliding down and I wasn't able to use my whole leg during the pedal stroke. Instead, I ended up working my quads. A lot.

By the time I got to the run, I felt like my quads were shot.

The next time I do a triathlon where I travel a long distance, I'm shipping my own tri bike. Period.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Because my seat post was gradually sliding down during the ride, I couldn't get the hooky part of my Adamo saddle over the transition rack without removing my saddle bag... and it was still tight.

I need to keep my head in the game. Instead of taking off my saddle bag and still struggling to rack my bike, I should have just turned my bike around and racked it using the brakes.
Run
  • 23m 48s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt a lot better than last year in Tyler. In my Tyler tri, I ate wrong and ended up getting major side cramps during 2/3 of the run. In this tri, I ate better and was able to improve my pace from a 9:30/mile to a 7:55/mile.

I put my shoes on and, getting ready to leave transition, realized that I forgot to tie them in double knots. That slowed me just a bit. Next time (Jefferson Triathlon in Jefferson, TX), I'll have Lock Laces or something similar.
Post race
Warm down:

I stretched a bit and worked on clearing out my quads. This included stretching, walking, light jogging, and more walking.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Having my seatpost drop during the bike really messed up my performance. It was very frustrating, but not having that problem would have allowed me to use my entire leg on the downstroke, and I think that would have sped me up.

Last updated: 2009-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:36 | 528 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/14
Overall: 154/393
Performance: Average
Suit: TXU Tri Suit
Course: The course was a basic out and back. The water was VERY shallow. At the starting buoys, the water was only mid-thigh.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:17
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:32 | 13 miles | 19.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/14
Overall: 115/393
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: I really liked this course. For the most part, it was flat with just a couple rolling hills. My favorite part was biking through the residential community. People were out on their porches and front lawns cheering the racers on.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:48 | 03 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 97/393
Performance: Good
Course: This was a flat course and the support was great. The final quarter mile was uphill and was lined by cheering spectators. That was a huge motivation to push, push, push.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-07 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: MinneMan Triathlon

2009-07-07 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2267235

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
Subject: RE: MinneMan Triathlon

Your seatpost issue would have completely thrown me off my race!  What a bummer...

I "invested" in a high quality torque wrench that goes everywhere with me... haven't had a single issue with an bolts since then. 

2009-07-08 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2267235

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: RE: MinneMan Triathlon
congrats on a great race. despite the seat post issue you finished in a really good time! I hope you enjoyed your stay in minnesota
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MinneMan Triathlon Rss Feed