General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Combat swim stroke/side stroke Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-08 12:31 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Combat swim stroke/side stroke
I need a little help.  I am new to triathlon's and view the swim as something to get through/survive until the real race starts on the bike.  I am doing a sprint this year and one Oly( I think).  The sprint is in a few weeks, but I have until Sept 25 to get ready for the Oly. 

My question is, does anybody do the side stroke or what the military calls the combat swim stroke in tri's.  Freestyle seems to be the norm.  I can do the side stroke at a 1:50/100yd pace for the entire Oly distance (with no wetsuit).  My plan was to get past this season and starting this fall, get a coach and work on my stroke in the off season.

2009-07-08 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2270473

User image

Veteran
Roxborough Park
Subject: RE: Combat swim stroke/side stroke
I've read so far that you can do any stroke you like, but that strokes like breast stroke and the side stroke take up more room, so you may end up hitting other swimmers.  I was thinking of doing breast stroke or side stroke (both are as fast as my freestyle, if not faster) but I realized that one of the main reasons to do freestyle is because you can do it with such minimal leg work.  At least in my sidestroke, I feel like a lot of my power comes from that scissor kick where I can do a minimal 2 beat kick with my freestyle stroke so my legs aren't burnt out before they need to be.

So- do what you like, but it may be worth it to figure out your freestyle sooner than later in terms of leg fatigue.
2009-07-08 1:03 PM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
If you are comfortable with that stroke it's totally OK. You will see everything (free, back, side, breast, just bobbing up and down). 1:50 per 100 sidestroke is pretty darn fast but I bet you'll be glad to get on your bike during the olympic.
2009-07-08 1:06 PM

User image

Veteran
western iowa, almost nebraska.
you are one great side stroker to push that pace. If you can do that, go for it. Whatever it takes to get through the water.
2009-07-08 1:13 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
You can use whatever you want to get through the swim.  However, with almost 3 months until the oly, I would begin working on your front crawl now.
2009-07-08 1:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson
Yep, use the side stroke a lot.  What others have said is true, it does take more room and most crawlers hate getting next to one of us frog kicking side strokers.  However, you don't have to worry about breathing, you can see the other swimmers around you easily, and sighting is much easier.  I suggest you start towards the back of the field because the passing crawlers are going to interfere with your kick anyway and slow you down whether you like it or not.  Might as well get out of the way from the beginning and you can always catch somebody's feet along the way. 

All that being said, I am working hard on getting my breathing down so I can crawl.  The problem with the side stroke is that it will never be very fast and you will pretty much be limited to MOP at best.  Also, it does use up your legs some and the crawl doesn't.  I will keep my strong side stroke in my trick bag for when I need it to rest or recover from a kick in the face or something, but I want to get past it.  It is definitely limiting.  If you are new to tris, use it as much as you want, but if you stick with the sport, soon you will want to get faster.

Greg

ETA: You are pretty fast at the side stroke.  I can do about 2:00 to 2:10/100 meters, so you are a little quicker than me.  However, if you have determined your speed while doing laps in the pool, do not expect to get the same pace in an OWS.  You will have to deal with other swimmers passing you, course corrections, jinking left or right to go around or avoid another swimmer, and 'short strokes' that slow you down (times when you can't get in a full kick or full reach with your lead arm because of other swimmers, etc.).  You could easily end up at a pace 20 to 30 seconds slower per 100 meters.  To me, it seems like the crawlers don't get slowed down as much as we side strokers. 

Edited by trinewby 2009-07-08 1:22 PM

2009-07-08 1:18 PM

I had a friend in high school that swam a sprint tri butterfly. It was epic. He actually had a rather good time for the swim leg, he had nothing left for the bike or run but still was awesome. It was open water, I think just over 600m.You can swim how ever you would like. Freestyle is just the most efficient for most people.
2009-07-08 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT

I swam right  into a 65 year old doing the back stroke during an olympic distance race.  Guess what?  He came in 1st in his age group and got the trophy.
Swim however you like and have fun!                                                                                               

2009-07-08 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2270631

User image

Regular
trinewby - 2009-07-08 11:14 AM Yep, use the side stroke a lot.  What others have said is true, it does take more room and most crawlers hate getting next to one of us frog kicking side strokers.  However, you don't have to worry about breathing, you can see the other swimmers around you easily, and sighting is much easier.  I suggest you start towards the back of the field because the passing crawlers are going to interfere with your kick anyway and slow you down whether you like it or not.  Might as well get out of the way from the beginning and you can always catch somebody's feet along the way. 

All that being said, I am working hard on getting my breathing down so I can crawl.  The problem with the side stroke is that it will never be very fast and you will pretty much be limited to MOP at best.  Also, it does use up your legs some and the crawl doesn't.  I will keep my strong side stroke in my trick bag for when I need it to rest or recover from a kick in the face or something, but I want to get past it.  It is definitely limiting.  If you are new to tris, use it as much as you want, but if you stick with the sport, soon you will want to get faster.

Greg

ETA: You are pretty fast at the side stroke.  I can do about 2:00 to 2:10/100 meters, so you are a little quicker than me.  However, if you have determined your speed while doing laps in the pool, do not expect to get the same pace in an OWS.  You will have to deal with other swimmers passing you, course corrections, jinking left or right to go around or avoid another swimmer, and 'short strokes' that slow you down (times when you can't get in a full kick or full reach with your lead arm because of other swimmers, etc.).  You could easily end up at a pace 20 to 30 seconds slower per 100 meters.  To me, it seems like the crawlers don't get slowed down as much as we side strokers. 

It is a pool time.  I am sure it will be slower in the OW.  I have done a few OWS's but never over a measured route.  I have just swum times.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Combat swim stroke/side stroke Rss Feed