General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Grand Columbian Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-08 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: Grand Columbian

Is anyone planning to do this one?  And if anyone's done the HIM, I'd love to hear about it...I just won a free entry....so guess who is actually doing an HIM???  Yep.  I am nervous about it but know I can do it......of course, I want to enjoy it, as well....

Leslie

2009-07-08 3:57 PM
in reply to: #2270844

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Grand Columbian
This is a great race. I did the HIM last year as a relay (bike leg) as I was struggling with achilles tendon problems. It was really a fun event.

This years race has a different run course but is still pretty flat. They changed it so T1 and T2 would be in the same place. Last year, T2 was a couple miles away and was kind of a pain transporting things around.

There is a line under the water connecting the buoys that people said was great sighting off of. There is a wave for men and a wave for women but it did not seem too crowded.

The bike is absolutely brutal though. It was the toughest thing I had ever done physically so prepare for some hills. It starts with a climb up out of the gorge that is several miles long and is quite steep in places. You get some relief at the top but than you start into some pretty good sized rollers to the turnaround in Elmira. Than the next 10 miles back to the highway seem like one climb after another. When you get to the highway there is a very long, very fast descent back into town and T2. I am considering changing my rear cassette from a 11-25 to 11-27 for the race.

This is my "A" and all my summer training is geared towards it. Keeping my fingers crossed on the heat and wind as they can make things even nastier there. Should be tons of fun. There a few videos on youtube to give you an idea of the scenery.
2009-07-08 4:05 PM

User image

New user
havent done it, but I just got a coupon for entry...but wont be able to do it. Congrats on winning entry! How'd you do that? great job!
2009-07-10 5:34 PM

User image

Spokane

Get your lodging figured out asap if you have not already, choices are limited.  'popsracer' has provided a solid overview here but I just wanted to chime in to reinforce the difficulty level of the bike leg. I only did the Olympic last year but it climbs the same hill out of town as HIM. I was fortunate that I only worked an hour away and was able to ride the course a couple times prior to the race, after the first training ride I went out and bought a 12-27 rear cassette, big climb and lots of shifting up and down due to the rolling terrain on the plateau. One of the more challenging (technical and physical) bike legs in the Northwest! Can't do it this year but we'll check back to see how you did, ride safe and be sure to post a report.

2009-07-16 11:20 PM

I'm considering doing the HIM at the Grand Columbian as well. . . although popsracer has me a little worried about the bike course. I did Lake Stevens last year and thought that was a tough bike course. Does anyone know how Grand Columbian compares? I'd heard that after the first big hill, the Grand Columbian course isn't too bad. I'd love more input!

Thanks

Melinda
2009-07-17 1:13 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Melinda, do not let my comments discourage you from the race. Yes, it is a tough bike course but if you have done Lk. Stevens than you should be fine on the course. It really is a unique setting for an HIM, is well organized, and was a lot of fun.

Last year was my first race of this length after only six months of training so I really didn't know what I was getting myself into until halfway through the race. So my perception of the course may be a little different than a more competent cyclist.

2009-07-17 10:13 AM

Thanks!  That Lake Stevens course is a killer-- although I rode it once before the race, I had forgotten the extent of the hills. By the time the run came around I wanted a nap!  Hopefully I'll have a better day at the Grand Columbian.

Thanks for the encouragement
2009-08-10 10:49 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Well now I'm starting to waffle a little bit about this race. I am now going back and forth between this and Black Diamond HIM. I have a time goal for an HIM this year and from everything I've heard BD gives me a better chance. I am confident that I will hit my goal pace in the swim at either venue (though GC was short last year). The bike is probably the biggest factor. I know GC course is a bear but don't know too much about BD. From all I have heard it is less challenging. I am assuming both runs are relatively flat and maybe with cooler temps BD would be faster. Than I think about that little piece of glass I might run over at either race and poof! my decision over which race really didn't matter. Every race has unexpected things that come up maybe I should just flip a coin.
2009-08-11 10:27 AM

Black Diamond is a good race, although I've sworn it off because it is SO COLD!!  The problem that I have with it is that the lake is cold. . . and by the end of September it's cold outside too! I remember driving to the race with snowflakes falling. It was more of a slush than snow, and it wasn't sticking, but still, it makes for a cold morning!

On the plus side, the bike course is very fast, so if you are looking for a PR, it is probably the race for you. It was my first HIM, and I actually really enjoyed it.

I'm planning to race GC this year.  Keep us posted on what you decide to do
2009-09-07 3:50 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

OK...race day is drawing near.....I know Melinder is going since we're rooming together!  Anybody else?  I am nervous and excited.  Hoping that my training has prepared me adequately...I missed most of a week recently due to travel and some kid health stuff, so that makes me nervous, too.  However, I am pretty sure it will be a great day.

2009-09-08 11:21 PM

User image

Bothell, Washington
I'll be there! This will be my first time at GC!

2009-09-09 6:19 PM

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington
Have a great race!
2009-09-20 10:11 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

It was a great day out there yesterday--got to experience rain, wind, sun, wind.....you name it!  I am proud to say that I finished in 7 hours, 7 very long hours!!  Saw Marcus (snailfish) out there--his team was awesome!

My RR is up if you want to read it--official results will be added in the very near future. I got 4th AG by 3 seconds.  *Sigh*

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=180787

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Grand Columbian Rss Feed