General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore hamstring, but only in the left leg...? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-08 5:33 PM

User image

Expert
New York
Subject: Sore hamstring, but only in the left leg...?
OK, it may be too soon to start freaking out, but I like to get a head start on these things.

Just came back from a very fun five days in Idaho. Lots of swimming and hiking and running and waterskiing. Was doing fine, no major issues (ok, the skiing left the buttocks in some state of soreness, but that went away and otherwise I was fine). Monday and Tuesday, I spent most of the day in a car or on a plane, so no working out for two straight days. Went for a run this morning, and MAN, was my left hamstring sore. Felt like I'd spent all day doing squats or something, but only on the left leg. I tried stretching it, to see if it was a cramp or something, but it didn't get any better...just felt sore.

Having never really pulled/strained a muscle before, I don't know if I'm just experiencing some weirdly super delayed DOMS (it's the same soreness I feel from weightlifting when I haven't done so for a while) or if this is an actual injury.

It doesn't hurt when I'm sitting down, only when I'm climbing stairs or running. I did pop an anti-inflammatory, so it's hard to say, but it doesn't seem to hurt when I press on the spot.

I'm also icing it just in case. Mostly I'm concerned because I would imagine if it was DOMS, it wouldn't have taken more than 24 hours to show up, and it probably wouldn't be affecting just one leg...right?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore hamstring, but only in the left leg...? Rss Feed