United States
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 07m 9s
Overall Rank = 4210/11389
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 266/1009
Pre-race routine:

Got the wake-up call at 4:30, but was at least partially awake before that point. Picked up a bagel at the hotel and was on the road by about 5:15. Ate part of the sub-par bagel on the way there... the rest landed -- cream cheese down -- on the floor of the car when I pulled a quick u-turn since I was headed in the wrong direction!
Event warmup:

Milled about for awhile. Was on TV!!! The local news guy who was doing the half was giving his report, and I got into the shot -- and my sister, who was back at the hotel, even saw me!!! (I guess I'm famous now!) Sweet-talked the UPS gear check people into taking my unauthorized gear bag (I didn't read ALL the instructions, apparently). Had a gel about 20 minutes before the race.
Run
  • 2h 07m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

When signing up for this, I had been put in Corral 7 because I told them my predicted finish time was 2:10. Lo and behold, once I get there, I found that the 2:00 pace group was right in front of me. Hmmm... could I keep up with them? I mulled this over as we inched toward the start line (they had wave starts for this run -- very helpful in controlling some of the congestion they had last year). Then, the gun went off (for good ol' Corral 7) and I kept pace with the 2:00 group as the thought kept bouncing around my brain.

It was one of those days you hope for on race day ... everything felt great, my legs were fresh, running didn't seem to be hard at all. For about 2.5 miles, I kept up with the 2:00 pace group (who were going a bit slow). As they picked up the pace, I decided to let them go, but still thinking this was a good enough day to get the 2:10 I was shooting for.

About a mile in, I decided on a race strategy: keep a 10 m/m pace on level ground, try to keep the heart rate down on uphills, and cruise the downhills. That ended up working out really well for me. I never really felt like I was pushing myself too hard. In fact, most of the time, I kept thinking "I'm going too fast! Gotta slow down..." but miles kept coming and going and I still wasn't having any trouble keeping the pace up. For the first time ever in a long race, I got 6-7-8 miles into it and didn't feel fatigued.

Of course, there's a catch. Okay, so I'm absolutely cruising along. Feeling great. Wondering it is whose body I'm inhabiting for this span of time. Even saw my sister who came out as my cheering section and smiled all pretty for the camera. And then -- 10.75 miles. Like someone flipped a light switch -- BAM! -- both my quads started cramping up on me. I tried stretching a little bit, but that wasn't helping, and I'd be DAMNED if I ran that good a race up to then to walk it in. So, I kept shuffling along, looking a little bit like someone in shoes 3 sizes too small.

I made it through those last 2+ miles in a fair amount of pain, but made it through nonetheless. I was disappointed by my only mile split over 10 minutes, but all things considered, that wasn't the worst thing that could have happened.

In the end, I not only met my goal of 2:11 (10 min/mil pace), but exceeded it by quite a bit. AND bettered my time for this race from last year by over 14 minutes. AND beat my 2:14:35 PR from the Chicago half!! Woohoo!!
What would you do differently?:

Not exactly sure what happened out there to my legs, but if that wouldn't have happened, I think I could have taken another minute off my time. Right before that happened, I was really starting to hit my stride, knocking off a 9:20 and 9:30 min/mile. There's always next time!
Post race
Warm down:

Made my way through the endless queues.... water, medal, gatorade, pictures, food, free flip flops. Then, met up with my sister, put on some warm, dry clothes (it was more than a tad nippy when you weren't running) and walked the .5 mile back to the hotel.

I was such an idiot not to have stretched more!!!! I'm in a whole lot of hurtin' now because of it, that's for sure! And after I got back to the hotel, I was going to do the ice bath thing, but instead we decided to go to lunch. Again - another bad choice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Quads cramping.

Event comments:

This is a great race! Tons of volunteers and Nashville is an awesome city to hang out in! I only wish I had been a little smarter about taking care of my quads, because that was also a limiting factor in terms of my ability to party on Saturday night!!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-03-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:07:09 | 13.1 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 266/1009
Overall: 4210/11389
Performance: Good
9:33 (161) 9:46 (172) 9:49 (176) 9:40 (177) 9:17 (178) 9:45 (178) 9:48 (182) 9:43 (179) 9:20 (180) 9:31 (180) 9:56 (181) 10:08 (182) 9:56 (182) :51 (186)
Course: This being Nashville, there were a lot of rolling hills. But, since I knew that going in, it wasn't a surprise. Part of the race wound through some more industrial sections of town that weren't as scenic, but for every section like that, there was another section that was either historic or just really cool -- like Music Row, where all the major music studios are.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-05-01 2:41 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: Country Music Half Marathon

2005-05-01 2:50 PM
in reply to: #150801

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: Country Music Half Marathon
Awesome race. I noted that you broke your goal by 3:00. Way to go. I think 1 mile 8 seconds slower than what you wanted justifies the 3 minutes faster overall.

I was wondering if you only had part of a bagel and one gel before the race, do you think that might have had something to do with your quads?

Keep up the good work.
2005-05-02 8:39 PM
in reply to: #150801

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Country Music Half Marathon
Great job! Well on your way to breaking that 2hr 1/2 marathon!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Country Music Half Marathon Rss Feed