2009-07-10 6:14 AM
in reply to: #2274961

User image

Master
Portland, ME
Subject: RE: Holy cow MRIs are expensive
tri_d00d - 2009-07-09 9:17 PM
DerekL - 2009-07-09 9:49 PM
tri_d00d - 2009-07-09 8:33 PMthat's why there is all this talk about health care reform...

ridiculous prices for medical services.

i'm sure that the costs to upkeep an MRI are only that expensive here in the US.

just sayin'
You shouldn't be so sure. MRI's are high tech machines with high tech maintenance needs. That isn't a US thing.

i agree with you in that they're high tech machines...but ppl in Honduras, Mexico, Canada, etc get MRIs. i'm positive that hospitals and patients don't pay those astronomical prices.

Just curious as to why you don't think the patient who is using the service shouldn't pay for it?

2009-07-10 6:55 AM
in reply to: #2275314

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-07-10 7:27 AM
in reply to: #2274454

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
bel83 - 2009-07-09 6:48 PM

Endorecto-coil MRI's are somewhere in between those two...but talk about uncomfortable (I have never had one but working in Healthcare I have heard some stories.)

I have read research papers about endourethral coils. They use those plus the endorectal coils.

Talk about violation!
2009-07-10 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2275028

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
DerekL - 2009-07-09 10:48 PM
tri_d00d - 2009-07-09 8:33 PMthat's why there is all this talk about health care reform...

i'm sure that the costs to upkeep an MRI are only that expensive here in the US.

just sayin'
You shouldn't be so sure. MRI's are high tech machines with high tech maintenance needs. That isn't a US thing.

i agree with you in that they're high tech machines...but ppl in Honduras, Mexico, Canada, etc get MRIs. i'm positive that hospitals and patients don't pay those astronomical prices.
You're positive, but you have nothing to back that up?

not necessary to back that up...look at the average gross income for some of those countries. I lived in a country (panama) where the average yearly income was less than $5000. Your average person is not going to pay half of their yearly salary for an MRI, and most don't have health insurance. Another point, most hospitals in countries such as this are in no way going to pay those (US) prices. That would probably be a SIGNIFICANT portion of their budget. So, either they forfeit an MRI unit altogether, or get it at a very reduced cost (or even donated). But, that's just me thinking out loud...
2009-07-10 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2275569

Veteran
Same thing with medicines in poorer countries.  The manufacturer upcharges wealthier nations for excess profit, so that people in poorer nations can actually get some sort of medicine/diagnosis.  If the manufacturer did not do this to wealthy nations, they could not afford to provide lower cost equipment to the poor nations.  They get to make a profit AND be humanitarian at the same time.  This is a partial reason our healthcare is more expensive. 

Anybody that actually goes to a poorer nation to use their equipment or buy medicine there for less is actually screwing over the poorer countries to some extent. 
2009-07-10 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2275569

Champion
tri_d00d - 2009-07-10 8:17 AM
DerekL - 2009-07-09 10:48 PM

just sayin'

You're positive, but you have nothing to back that up?

not necessary to back that up...look at the average gross income for some of those countries. I lived in a country (panama) where the average yearly income was less than $5000. Your average person is not going to pay half of their yearly salary for an MRI, and most don't have health insurance. Another point, most hospitals in countries such as this are in no way going to pay those (US) prices. That would probably be a SIGNIFICANT portion of their budget. So, either they forfeit an MRI unit altogether, or get it at a very reduced cost (or even donated). But, that's just me thinking out loud...

You're all over the place. I was responding to your claim that upkeep costs of MRI machines were significantly less in those countries.  You haven't said a thing to indicate that this is true.  You're right that you don't have to provide evidence to back up your claim.  It just makes that claim hard to believe.

2009-07-10 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2274093

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Why does one need a cow MRI anyway?
2009-07-10 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2275380

Master
Portland, ME
PennState - 2009-07-10 6:55 AM
Jackemy -
Just curious as to why you don't think the patient who is using the service shouldn't pay for it?

Jack, there are 3 things people want in their healthcare in the USA:
1. Fast
2. Perfect
3. Free

Americans tend to not be too demanding if we can meet these 3 basic needs

Sounds good, sign me up.....I'm sure you don't mind working 72 hours shifts for free?
2009-07-10 9:42 AM

Champion
SRQ, FL
OK stop hijacking my thread with this socialized medicine commie talk

Just a bit of background:

I first had the pain (which was mainly in my periformis (butt) muscle) back in December.  I could harldy get up from a seated position without intense pain.  With some prednisone and some physical therapy it got much better and pretty much went away unless I exercised.  However I kept at it and just took a bunch of anti inflamatories after a workout or race.

About 2 months ago I was stretching after a workout and felt a little "ping".  The next morning I could not move with intense pain up in the lower lumbar area.  After a few days of bed rest it got better but the pain in the periformis and down the back of the leg into the foot stayed.  I have been going to the chiro for 6 weeks now (3 days a week) for some "spinal decompression" and it seems to be making it better but I still have constant dull aching. 

After a run, forget it.  Intense pain down the back of my leg.  I feel like "House".  Where's my Vicodin?

So it's to the point where I have to get something done.  Personally I suspect an inflamed sciatic nerve.  I'm not sure it's a disk problem but the MRI would rule that in/out.

Update:  I found out I'm pretty close to my deductible this year so it looks like it may only run $160.  That I can stomach.

Now I need to get over my claustrophobia as they stick me in the tube.

in reply to: #2275903

Veteran
St. Paul, MN
TriRSquared - 2009-07-09 3:17 PM
do I just skip it and get a cortisone shot .

Anyone with experience with cortisone?

Or any experience with a cheaper "CASH ONLY" MRI place.  Do such ones exist?

My husband has some lower back/sciatica issues. He received a cortisone shot, but had to have the MRI in order to receive the shot so they knew exactly where to place the cortisone. Like others have stated, there are cheaper options with the MRI - it'll just take a little research on your part.

The most effective treatment my hubby had was to go to this place called Physicians Neck and Back where they had an active recovery PT program. It had to do with strenthening the core and back muscles. Not sure what your core condition is...so I wouldn't know if this sort of treatment would help you. You could also look into a steroid prescription. Like another poster said though, the steroids will only cover up the problem...you'll need something more to fix it.

2009-07-10 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2275934

Master
Riverside, IL
TriRSquared - 2009-07-10 9:42 AM OK stop hijacking my thread with this socialized medicine commie talk

I first had the pain (which was mainly in my periformis (butt) muscle) back in December.  I could harldy get up from a seated position without intense pain.  With some prednisone and some physical therapy it got much better and pretty much went away unless I exercised.  However I kept at it and just took a bunch of anti inflamatories after a workout or race.

About 2 months ago I was stretching after a workout and felt a little "ping".  The next morning I could not move with intense pain up in the lower lumbar area.  After a few days of bed rest it got better but the pain in the periformis and down the back of the leg into the foot stayed.  I have been going to the chiro for 6 weeks now (3 days a week) for some "spinal decompression" and it seems to be making it better but I still have constant dull aching. 

After a run, forget it.  Intense pain down the back of my leg.  I feel like "House".  Where's my Vicodin?

So it's to the point where I have to get something done.  Personally I suspect an inflamed sciatic nerve.  I'm not sure it's a disk problem but the MRI would rule that in/out.

Update:  I found out I'm pretty close to my deductible this year so it looks like it may only run $160.  That I can stomach.

Just because you suspect it's your sciatic nerve, that doesn't mean you can rule out a disc problem (or something else that is spine-related).  Sciatica is usually caused by a nerve impingement somewhere in the lumbar spine...which in turn, is often caused by a herniated or bulging disc, a slipped vertebra (spondylolisthesis), spinal stenosis, or any other number of spinal conditions.   There is a reason you are having sciatica symptoms...and it almost always originates from the lumbar spine.   Get the MRI and find out what is causing your sciatica.    
2009-07-10 1:29 PM
in reply to: #2276597

Champion
SRQ, FL
nscrbug - 2009-07-10 2:25 PM
TriRSquared - 2009-07-10 9:42 AM OK stop hijacking my thread with this socialized medicine commie talk

Just because you suspect it's your sciatic nerve, that doesn't mean you can rule out a disc problem (or something else that is spine-related).  Sciatica is usually caused by a nerve impingement somewhere in the lumbar spine...which in turn, is often caused by a herniated or bulging disc, a slipped vertebra (spondylolisthesis), spinal stenosis, or any other number of spinal conditions.   There is a reason you are having sciatica symptoms...and it almost always originates from the lumbar spine.   Get the MRI and find out what is causing your sciatica.    

Oh I am.  However it's odd that there is very little back back.  It's mainly in my hamstring and butt region.  Also anti-inflammatories tend to make it better.  But we'll see what the MRI says.  Scheduled for Wednesday.

Edited by TriRSquared 2009-07-10 1:30 PM
2009-07-10 4:05 PM

2009-07-10 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2277031

2009-07-10 9:07 PM
in reply to: #2276613

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
TriRSquared - 2009-07-10 2:29 PM

Oh I am.  However it's odd that there is very little back back.  It's mainly in my hamstring and butt region.  Also anti-inflammatories tend to make it better.  But we'll see what the MRI says.  Scheduled for Wednesday.

It sounds very similar to my situation and what I have learned is:
Sciatica basically is jsut"pain down the leg"  typically it is cause by something pusing on the nerve to casue this pain down the leg aka sciatic...most sciatica is casue by a disk, whether it be bulging, herinated etc...the anti inflammaties are probably working and making you feel better cause it is making the disk or the issue in your lower back to stop pressing on the nerve...
the only way to really see what is going on is the MRI..glad to hear it will only cost you $160.  Also, if they are only doing the MRi on your lower lumbar you won't be in the tube entirely...you're head will be sticking out some..so that';s a good thing..good luck! lower back pain, sciatica and butt pain sucks! 

2009-07-10 9:20 PM
in reply to: #2277031

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
AcesFull - 2009-07-10 5:05 PM

I get an MRI of my brain every year or so (pituitary tumor).  I find the tube and the banging oddly soothing, so MRIs always make me sleepy.  Sadly, the bill provides a superb wakeup. 

Glad I'm not the only one who's fallen asleep in an MRI.  My family thinks I'm crazy.
2009-07-11 2:07 AM
in reply to: #2277410

2009-07-11 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2277662

Edited by PennState 2009-07-11 8:19 AM
2009-07-11 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2277880

2009-07-11 8:38 AM

2009-07-11 8:59 AM

2009-07-11 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2277956

2009-07-13 7:48 AM
in reply to: #2277438

Champion
SRQ, FL
piperfl - 2009-07-10 10:07 PM
TriRSquared - 2009-07-10 2:29 PM

It sounds very similar to my situation and what I have learned is:
Sciatica basically is jsut"pain down the leg"  typically it is cause by something pusing on the nerve to casue this pain down the leg aka sciatic...most sciatica is casue by a disk, whether it be bulging, herinated etc...the anti inflammaties are probably working and making you feel better cause it is making the disk or the issue in your lower back to stop pressing on the nerve...
the only way to really see what is going on is the MRI..glad to hear it will only cost you $160.  Also, if they are only doing the MRi on your lower lumbar you won't be in the tube entirely...you're head will be sticking out some..so that';s a good thing..good luck! lower back pain, sciatica and butt pain sucks! 

Thanks for the info.  And yes it sucks.  Makes you feel prematurely old for sure!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Holy cow MRIs are expensive Rss Feed  

of 2