Norway, Maine
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 38s
Overall Rank = 23/112
Age Group = 30-34 M
Age Group Rank = 2/5
Pre-race routine:

Set up transition area, took wife and kids around venue to show them good spectator locations.
Event warmup:

Jogged from port-a-potty to swim location and wrestled myself into wetsuit
Swim
  • 15m 32s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my 2nd swim in a wetsuit, and my first true OWS other than a quick session to try the wetsuit earlier this week. When we started, I was able to jump out quick with the leading pack of 5-6. I drafted for a bit but then realized that the person in front of me wasn't going at my normal pace so I passed rather easily. At this point, we were about halfway to Buoy #1 and this was the first time I actually looked up to attempt a sighting. The first thing I noticed, due to my lack of OWS practice, was that in sighting I was throwing myself off any kind of swim rhythm. The second thing I noticed was that there was only 1 person swimming in front of me!! He seemed to be heading in the direction of Buoy #1 so I started to trail him (not close enough to draft), and sight him. The closer I got to Buoy #1, the easier it was for me to line up myself for the turn. When I rounded the corner, I had absolutely no idea where Buoy #2 was. I came to a dead stop, treading water, looking looking, finally sighted the guy ahead of me and went after him. Didn't see Buoy #2 until about the halfway point, again he was leading out straight towards it so I followed. As I rounded Buoy #2 and sighted for the beach, it was easier as there was a crowd of people to see. I kept the pace I had going for me and cruised in, 2nd place in my wave, 4th OA, and 1st in my AG....
What would you do differently?:

More OWS practice, specifically in wetsuit, and practicing sighting. I also never really felt like I was in my groove, kicking was off, breathing was off, all due (I think) to being thrown out of my rhythm during sighting attempts. When I made the final turn, I looked back and knew there wasn't anybody remotely close behind. Going into today, I had planned to drop the hammer on the final stretch but I guess I got complacent and just cruised in. I was 4th OA, and the two in 3rd and 2nd were under a minute better than me. Looking back, if I dropped the hammer I may have taken 2nd on the swim.
Transition 1
  • 05m
Comments:

T1 time was officially rolled into Bike time, but I backed it out for this log. What can I say here? Well there was an approximately 150 yard jog up a bark chip path to get to the transition area. I was dizzy, wobbly, unsteady, had jello like legs, couldn't find my velcro neck piece, couldn't find my wetsuit zipper.....when I finally made it to the transition area, I was able to get out of my wetsuit fairly quickly, however it took me a long time to get off on the bike. I put my helmet and sunglasses on. I put my garmin on. I wiped my feet on my towel. I put my socks on. I put my cycling shoes on. I put an already unwrapped piece of gum in my mouth. That's all I did? WTF? FIVE MINUTES?? I think I was only passed by 2 or 3 while in transition, maybe those silly relays who were already to go. Definitely need to think about T1, read more BT on T1, and practice T1. FIVE MINUTES ??? Then there was a short 25 yard run out of transition to the mount line and off you go. **FIVE MINUTES would have put me into a Top 10 OA finish**

see above
Bike
  • 37m 54s
  • 11.7 miles
  • 18.52 mile/hr
Comments:

When I left T1, I could occasionally glimpse one rider way ahead, and I didn't really ever look back to see who was chasing me. I spent the entire "out" part chasing that guy, gained some on him and had one guy pass me (the eventual OA winner). When I hit the hill leading into the turnaround I closed more on the guy in front of me. As I neared the top, I was passed by a guy on a sweet looking Cervelo. We rounded the top and started back down. This is where I'm happy that I'm still over 200 lbs. I hammered it. And then I hammered it more because I liked it. I cruised by the guy who I had spent 6 miles chasing. I cruised by Mr. Cervelo. I was flying and yes at times it was scary. 43 MPH scary. I was making good time coming back to T2. I didn't pass anybody else but I did have another person pass me about a mile from T2. I rolled into T2 in about 5th place in my wave, 19th place OA, 2nd in my AG, with my bike time about on par with what I was hoping for going into today

I was satisfied with my performance on the bike overall. I seemed to tire towards the last 2 miles or so. It also took me about a mile when leaving T1 to get adjusted to the bike and get into a good cadence. I think I just need more bike time, ride more, ride harder, ride longer.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Not bad. Rolled into T2 (same as T1), unclipped, stopped bike, jumped off, ran about 20 yards to rack, racked, helmet/shoes off, running shoes on, racebelt on, off to the races

there were other areas today that are higher priorities for me right now
Run
  • 29m 5s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew going in that this was my weak area and today just reinforced that I need to log more miles. My HR was off the charts and my breathing was something I've never experienced before. I had to stop and walk 4 times to try to lower my HR and get my breathing under control. Didn't really work out, hence the sh11ty run.

Run more often, run longer

Post race
Warm down:

went back to beach area and swam with my kids

What limited your ability to perform faster:

conditioning - specifically for the run but I think some of that also comes from needing more bike conditioning as well?

Event comments:

I liked this race. This was my first triathlon and I wanted a race that was smaller and geared towards newer triathletes. I gained alot of knowledge thru experience today and am looking forward to racing this again next year. I was really happy with my swim, was satisfied with my bike, so 2 out of 3 in the good column for my first tri aren't bad...I also picked up 2nd in my AG which netted me a cool trophy :)

Last updated: 2009-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:32 | 1094 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 4/112
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro X2 Fullsuit
Course: This was a triangle course with a waist deep start from a beach out to Buoy #1, round to Buoy #2, then back to starting beach. There were 3 waves total, and I was in the first wave.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:54 | 11.7 miles | 18.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 19/112
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: I like this bike course. It's an "out and back" so I get to see who's ahead/behind and by how much. Also, it's mostly rolling with one exception. The final mile climbs at a solid 5-6% before you hit the turnaround.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:05 | 03.11 miles | 09m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 67/112
Performance: Bad
Min HR 119 Avg HR 165 Max HR 175
Course: 5k, first 1.5 miles is generally uphill, second 1.5 miles is generally downhill/flat
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-11 7:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
Subject: Norway Triathlon

2009-07-11 9:10 PM
in reply to: #2278562

User image

On your right
Subject: RE: Norway Triathlon
Amazing job man.  43mph, I hardly get up to that most days in my car! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Norway Triathlon Rss Feed