General Discussion Race Reports! » Valley Point-to-Point - Winter Pak Series Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Valley Point-to-Point - Winter Pak Series - CycleOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Winter Park, Colorado
United States
Epic Single Track
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 43s
Overall Rank = 14/118
Age Group = m 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

Got up there a little early & hung out, let Greta play a bit, then met up with Andrea & James.
Event warmup:

Not a whole lot, just a short ride.
Bike
  • 1h 44m 43s
  • 19 miles
  • 10.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Talked my friend Andrea from work into doing this and her husband James was in my wave too. He took off from the start & led for the 1st couple of miles. He, a guy in orange and I entered the single track & once the orange guy got past James he was gone, I couldn't keep up with him on the descents. He seemed like a decent climber too so I just figured I'd go at my own pace & if I caught him, I caught him, if not I won't. Turns out I caught him pretty quickly. Passed him on a rocky uphill. There was some annoying switchback climbing up thru an area that'd been logged with roots everywhere but I just powered up, mainly because I was nervous about having to unclip (almost fell over at the top of the one section I hike-a-biked, got back in, clipped in and didn't go anwhere but sidewaus, but I caught myself before I was all the way over). Kept waiting for the guy in orange to pass me on a downhill but he never did (he said afterwards he stopped to help someone I think). I took everything out of my legs but they got me to the end. Had two slight mishaps though - one I slammed my left shoulder into a tree (have a bit of a bruise) and another a few miles from the end where I got lazy and tired and hit my right handlebar against a tree and crashed headfirst into a pine tree sapling on the left. But nothing too bad, I was up and going right away. When we passed the lady who said two miles left I just started hammering - I REALLY wanted to be done. I was overheating in parts and it was a jarring course.
What would you do differently?:

Well I won my age group by 8' so I guess nothing. Except maybe I need to move up a catagory?
Post race
Warm down:

Since this was a pt to pt we had to ride back to Winter Park. 5 miles my ass. This sucked.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still need to get better at descending singletrack.

Event comments:

Fun race. James took 2nd behind me in his 1st ever mtn bike race and Andrea took 9th out a bigger field in her 1st ever mtb race too!

Last updated: 2009-07-11 12:00 AM
Biking
01:44:43 | 19 miles | 10.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 14/118
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Starts with a mile climb on the road then more single track than not, but a few dirt road stretches. Some very rocky though not overly technical sections. Also alot of roots and ruts.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-11 8:18 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: Valley Point-to-Point - Winter Pak Series
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Valley Point-to-Point - Winter Pak Series Rss Feed