Pirhana Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 21m 36s
Overall Rank = 47/451
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/41
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30AM, got a shower and then started eating my breakfast around 5AM. Had a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter and honey and sipped on some Gatorade. Before leaving to the race we stopped and got some coffee at Dunkin Donuts!

We get to the race site, get our packet, and get everything ready. Then I find something very disturbing, my brand new wetsuit has about 8 small tears in the legs. I get pissed off at this moment and try not to worry about it since there is nothing really I can do. I don't know exactly what caused this to happen, the only thing is we packed up the truck pretty tight in the back and my suit must have caught the cogs on Mike's bike. So now when I travel I'll be sure to transport my suit in my tri bag unexposed to other equipment. (When I got home later that night I did some research and it appears I can fix them myself. So I plan to keep it and repair it. Hopefully it turns out Ok.)
Event warmup:

Did some push ups prior to the swim start and some light stretching. This routine has helped my last two swims, so I'll continue this going forward.
Swim
  • 23m 9s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great swim today. I felt really strong, I sighted very well, and drafted the best I've ever had. My strategy was to find a faster swimmer up ahead and catch them and let them take me with them. It worked very well. The swim time actually includes a 1:04 run out of the water, up the dock, and into transition where the timing mat was, so my in water time is actually 22:05, which is really fast for me.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, this was one of my finer swims.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Not a bad transition, however my wetsuit got stuck on my right heel and it took some extra time to get it off. No big deal, but could have saved a few seconds.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 46s
  • 27 miles
  • 20.06 mile/hr
Comments:

First I must say I improved about 5 minutes from last year's bike, so the tri bike and the proper fit plays a huge role in biking! Second, I ran out of hydration 40 minutes into the bike and didn't get anything until mile 23 at an aid station. I should have had another water bottle on my bike. Third, I get passed by a ton of people on hills. I need to get out and get stronger on the hills. I am pleased though that I can stick with some fast riders on the flats, but they save so much time when it comes to inclines where as I tend to fall way behind. Lastly, the proper bike fit has been awesome because when it comes time to run, I feel great!

I love the Garmin...so much data! I have the Garmin set up to automatically split every 5 miles. Obviously miles 10-15 were the most fun averaging over 24mph!

Lap Data
Lap Time Distance Pace/Speed
1 16m 08s 5.00 miles 18.60 mph
2 15m 17s 5.00 miles 19.63 mph
3 12m 24s 5.00 miles 24.19 mph
4 14m 40s 5.00 miles 20.45 mph
5 16m 24s 5.00 miles 18.29 mph
6 05m 46s 1.81 miles 18.86 mph

Practice hills! Other than that I improved from 18.7mph last year to 20.5 this year, so I can't be too dissappointed.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Quick transition. Nothing major to report here. Other than the fact that now that I have a Garmin it takes a few extra seconds to transfer it from my bike to wrist, but I enjoy it so I won't leave transition without it!
Run
  • 35m 12s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where I put the hammer down!! I felt great on the run. Very pleased with the effort. High cadence, kept my form nice and upright, and was able to push myself. The run turned out to be only 4.82 miles, so unfortunately the pace on the website is based of that. Realistically I ran about a 7:19 pace, which I'll still take. Last year I ran an 8:23 pace, so once again, drastic improvement! My training for the Baltimore Marathon must be paying off!

Based on my splits I picked it up about halfway through, and then tried to hammer it home that last mile! I felt good during the strong finish!

Lap Data
Lap Time Distance Pace/Speed AHR MHR
1 07m 23s 1.00 miles 07m 23s /mile
2 07m 32s 1.00 miles 07m 32s /mile
3 07m 10s 1.00 miles 07m 10s /mile
4 07m 20s 1.00 miles 07m 20s /mile
5 05m 48s 0.82 miles 07m 05s /mile

Keep on improving!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

The hills on the bike course took a toll on me. I need to work on bike strength!

Event comments:

No packet pick up on Friday was a bummer, it added additional stress on race morning to get everything ready in transition. The bike aid station was at mile 23, WHY?? That needs to be changed. The post race food was bad. A sandwich about 3 inches long, fruit snacks, and a coke. Not that much enjoyable.

Last updated: 2008-12-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:09 | 1760 yards | 01m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/41
Overall: 41/451
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro X2 Sleeveless
Course: Diamond shaped swim, going clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:20:46 | 27 miles | 20.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/41
Overall: 79/451
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling, technical, and some steep climbs the last 5 miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good