General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DNF Is Better Than DNS: A Race Report Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-02 1:37 AM

User image

San Diego
Subject: DNF Is Better Than DNS: A Race Report
Today was a day of firsts for me. My very first triathlon. My very first bike crash. My very first DNF.

My first taco’d wheel. My first case of road rash. And the first time I’ve had to type with a splint on my finger.

The day went a little something like this…

After waiting around anxiously for several hours, my wave went off like the ten others before it. A nice announcement about the course, a simple reminder to be safe and we were off. Though I had gone out for a couple of open water swims before this, that reliable feeling of beginner’s asphyxiation hit me. I ended up doing a mix of ugly freestyle, breast stroke, backstroke and plain old doggie paddle for about 150-200 yards. I still hadn’t been completely dropped by everyone in the group, as there were a couple of others even more green than me. Once I turned the first buoy, I decided to have a go at some real swimming. In fits and starts, I managed to catch up with the back of the main pack. Since I forgot to put my HR monitor watch on before the transition area closed in the morning, I’m not sure what my split was. I am sure that it wasn’t pretty, though.

I gave my better half a dizzy little nod as I trotted up to the transition and vowed to catch a few of those fish-like ladies on the bike. After T1, I was on my way to doing just that. I had probably gone about two miles and overtook about half-a-dozen folks. I was duking it out with a girl who was in better shape than me, but who was on a MTB. I past her, she passed me. I passed her again and then she smoked me just as we were coming up on a course photographer.

After trying not to grimace at the lens, I started putting the hammer down one more time. This was when things went wrong. After being passed the last time, I had done my best to get to the side of the road and to drop back to avoid drafting. The photographer was just enough of a distraction for me to lose sight of how far right I had drifted.

As I was increasing speed, I realized that I was approaching the road’s edge. There was no curb and a ledge with about a foot drop-off onto dirt and gravel. I thought to myself, “I’d better be careful, or I’m going to drop off the side of the road here.” But to my horror, my muscles seemed incapable of steering me left. In fact, I just kept drifting closer to the ledge. At that point I thought, “I don’t like where this is going.”

Then it was just a tumble of flying wheels and crankshafts, elbows and fingers and knees all impossibly colliding at once.

Despite all the hurt, I got up convinced that I could press on. Then I saw my bike. My front wheel looked like calligraphy. All those curved metal spokes were writing a pretty clear message: Your race is over.

In the end I was pretty fortunate, I suppose. The race volunteers and director were really great. I got a hitch to the med tent and some nice folks helped me pick the gravel from my arms and fingers. Though one of my fingers is pretty badly sprained, I didn’t break any limbs. I was lucky enough to have my husband there for support at the race site, and to help me thoroughly clean and bandage everything at home. As for my bike, the wheel is toast but my frame and fork checked out. Things could have been much worse.

And, hey, at least I know I can do better at my next tri in June.

2005-05-02 1:44 AM
in reply to: #151062

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Subject: RE: DNF Is Better Than DNS: A Race Report
OUCH! That sounds like it hurt something awful!

Little bike tip: Always focus your eyes on where you WANT to go. Don't look where you don't want to go. You'll pretty much always go where you are looking... From your story it looks like you focused on looking at the hazard (I would have, too, probably) and this may have contributed to your inability to steer away.

Oh great. Now I've doomed myself to making the same mistake on my next ride!

Glad to hear you're recovering and your bike will be okay. Too bad about the wheel, though.
2005-05-02 2:18 AM

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu, HI
Wow, tough start!! Sorry to hear about it, I'm sure you're pretty bummed. But you're right, it could have been worse and that's something to be thankful for. Keep up the training and better luck in June!!
2005-05-02 5:50 AM

Veteran
Swindon

Ouch - bad luck.  Hope your next race goes better

Just a tip that was impressed on me when I started cycling - "you don't look where you're going, you go where you're looking" (i.e. if you want to avoid a tree, the worst thing you can do is look at it and think "I really don't want to hit that tree"

2005-05-02 6:52 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
SO sorry about the race.  If your bike is managled its uafully hard to go on.  Hope you and the bike are on the mend.  Just get ready for the next one -SMO
2005-05-02 9:12 AM

, Alabama

What a tough way to start.  Glad you're okay, for the most part.  Looking at the bright side, now that you know what CAN happen, you're that much more motivated to make sure it DOESN'T happen next time.

Sharon

2005-05-02 9:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

I hate that feeling when you just can't steer and you know your going down.

Keep on going; things will go better next time.

Randy
2005-05-02 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
San mateo California
Ok..  everybody is due for a DNF or a bike crash eventually... You had both the same day... that means you are done with those two.  You are not due for another DNF and bike accident for years to come...  Enjoy..

cheers
2005-05-02 10:32 AM

User image

Elite
San Diego
I'm glad to hear you are OK. Was that the Spring Sprint? I was a swim buddy out there.
Is your next race the SD International? If so I will see you out there. I will preride the course a few times between now and the start of the race, you are more than welcome to join me for a ride or two.
Again, I'm glad you are OK.
Tom
2005-05-02 10:38 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
glad you are okay...and are still ready to race again! must have been a pretty substantial crash to taco the wheel.
2005-05-02 1:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
REALLY glad you did not end up looking like the wheel! Hang in there and take a few days off to get over the soreness.

Fred

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DNF Is Better Than DNS: A Race Report Rss Feed