Muncie Endurathon
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 07m 7s
Overall Rank = 128/697
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 18/89
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early, coffee and pre-race BM - key element in success. A bagel, a Gu and go!
Event warmup:

Biked about 2 miles easy, ran 1 mi easy, swam 100 yards.
Swim
  • 37m 31s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ok, the ass-clown at the start needs a talking to. Each wave went out about every 3 minutes, we had maybe 1 minute. With no warning the horn went off, I didn't even get a chance to hit my watch. I felt faster than I had hoped, I timed in about the same as two years ago. I was ok with my swim, came in at 1:57/100y pace. That was right on track with goal pace. Maybe the new course and the crazy chop slowed me down?
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, the chop was bad for 60% of the swim and the aforementioned ass-clown at the start. Oh well.
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

I had a strong T1 - I took a minute off last time. I was lucky to have a spot near the swim exit, this helped.

Nada.
Bike
  • 2h 39m 28s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike did not go well, first 15 miles were painful. I got out way to fast and my back ached - not sure why. Once I hydrated and had some nutrition things got better. Still, faster than last time but I am not satisfied. The other thing was that some got in before I hit the storms, this also screwed me bad. Hail is nice on the skin at race pace, kind of exfoliates while it irritates the crap out of me.

Not sure at all. Just not my day. With the wind, I targeted 21 mph down and 24 back, about 1 mph off off that.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Really good transition in a total downpour of rain. Socks were in a zip-loc baggie with baby powder - THAT was the first smart thing I did.

Nada.
Run
  • 1h 46m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Usually my strength, out was ok at 50 minutes but coming back was rough. Last time I walked/ran after mile 10 - this year not! I took off some time so I am happy with that. With the rain I was just happy to finish at this point. My HR was unusually low, right around 150-155 for most of the run,this is low for my training that runs 155-160. My legs were burning though, odd.

Nothing, just smile and cross the line. By the way, I think there was one AG'er I saw 50 yards ahead at mile 13, I said "screw it" and totally killed that last half mile and passed the guy - sorry I just had some frustration to take out - and thanks to the guys who screamed out "way to go 575! I was about dying at this point.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of gatorade and water. I consummed many calories at the post race meal, the kids who volunteered had a bet if I could eat the whole plate of food in front of me: a huge serving of noodles, half a wrap sandwich, 4 cookies, a cup of pretzels, an icecream on a stick, one banana, a bag of chips, a can of Sierra Mist, and a stick of grapes. I won the bet to the astonished looks of these kids. HA! I also had a large McDonald's milkshake 2 hrs later after sleeping in the car ride home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hail, rain, lightning, thunder, and not the best day personally. I am still on the fence about this long course tri thing - I think oly and sprints are more my style. You IM guys are still safe without me - I'll be staying away from that for 2010.

Event comments:

This is the best half-IM race I've done, only comparable to Steelhead at this point. I will be back next year, I have issues to settle.

Last updated: 2009-01-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:31 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/89
Overall: 162/697
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless
Course: New this year, out west, then turn north, come back east. This was to aide in navigation with a sunrise in the eyes coming in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:39:28 | 56 miles | 21.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/89
Overall: 177/697
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: North to the turn on the trailway, then south/south-east to Losantville, turn west to the turn, return back but up the west side of the resevoir, then around north end to the transition
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:46:57 | 13.1 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/89
Overall: 155/697
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back with rolling hills, some harder than others.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-12 5:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Wayne, IN
Subject: Muncie Endurathon

2009-07-13 7:52 AM
in reply to: #2279570

User image

Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: Muncie Endurathon
Great swim and transitions. You did look uncomfortable when I saw you on the bike, which I've never thought before. Have you done a fitting with Dave at Summit City?
2009-07-13 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2280381

User image

Veteran
Ft. Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: Muncie Endurathon
no, with the shop I bough it from.  Maybe time for another fit?  things got better after mile 15-20 or so but by then it was too late.

-ba
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muncie Endurathon Rss Feed