Set-Up, Inc.
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 49s
Overall Rank = 61/576
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/108
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:50 after eating and drinking a little too much the night before at Angus Barn. Ate a choc chip waffle with PB, drank a bottle of accelerade on the way down and at 1.5 bananas. Just before the start I ate a Espresso Love GU which sat well. Got to the race site in plenty of time for the ride from the power station to the race start. Racked bike, visited the port a potty and then went to the swim start where I watch the general midorganization going on (and the leeches). My wave started at 7:34. I mean 7:45 ish. I think. No-one seemed to know.
Event warmup:

Easy ride to start. No specific warmup.
Swim
  • 13m 51s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Nice swim. Got kicked in the ear once which hurt but navigated relatively well and felt like I gave a good effort. Couldn't draft off anyone but had people drafting off me. Was quite winded at the end. Looong run up to the transition area. 7/108 in age group. Pretty happy about this, especially given that I haven't been swimming much. Nice to have a swimming background to be able to place here without putting much time into the swimming part.
What would you do differently?:

Not much- nice swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

Decent transition overall. Took a few secs to get Garmin synced but frankly, I didn't mind standing still for a few seconds to catch my breath. Got on the bike fine and didn't forget anything. Transition was about 20 secs or so slower than the others around me. Age group winners T1 was 2:02, so overall long transition times due to that long run up to the transition area.

I was winded so a slightly slower transition was OK. I put on my shoes, which prob slowed me down a little to, and the Garmin sync thing costs a little time.
Bike
  • 48m 57s
  • 17.5 miles
  • 21.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride. Only got passed by 6 people, which is good for me, and I kept them in my sights after they passed me. Could probably have pushed harder but wanted something for the run. 13/108 in age group on this, which is prob my best cycling performance in a race so far.

Get faster...a 2 minute gain here puts me in 4th place in age group.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Fast transition- barely stopped. Fasted T2 in age group was 0:56, so not far off the lead on this one!

Not much- had a great flying dismount!
Run
  • 21m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt tired during first mile (7:27), OK during second (7:26) and then had lots left in last 0.25 mile. Last mile was 6:36, but Garmin had it ending at 0.96, so prob 6:50 for last mile is more accurate. Garmin measured course as 2.96 miles so pace looks better than it was.

Could have pushed harder in the end but strong finish didn't gain me any ground on the guy in front. I still think I can get faster on the run. This was much better than Buckner Mission Man and Pinehurst.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a peach and some HEED. Hosed down with water. Then saw Bill coming in so strolled over to meet him and say hi. Then Andrew came in looking chipper so glad he had a good race. He beat me so can now go to work and tell Matt to leave him alone! Looked around for other BTers but didn't see Keyone (was looking for green shirt) or anyone else. Then had to head out to get home since the kids couldn't make the race site (see below).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall fitness. Overall race planning/effort was good so just need to get fitter and stronger on the bike. This is my best placing in age group (top 10%).

Event comments:

They warned about the lack of parking; they DID NOT warn about the fact that the roads would be closed by police, so my wife and kids drove down at around 8, got road blocked and sat there for an hour. Then they finally got to the parking station to find that the shuttle had stopped (no warning on this either) so they were 3 mils from the race site. Total waste of their time. I don't mind closing the course, but Set Up EVents needs to warn people of this more than "the park closes at 7". This almost made me give the race a "1" rating, but the actual race was cool.

Last updated: 2008-12-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:51 | 820 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/108
Overall: 62/576
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: "Square" course. Out, left turn, left turn and in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:28
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:57 | 17.5 miles | 21.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/108
Overall: 86/576
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Nice course with rolling hills. Didn't like the parts in the park- those speed bumps ejected my little yellow loofa thingy and accelerade all over me (and from the look of all the bottles lying around at the end, I was not the only one affected by this). Nice course though and I was really pleased to average around 20.8 for the (tougher) first half. I had my average at 21.6 at the end, but official average is 21.45. All the turns in the park and those nasty speed bumps slowed me down (as they did everyone I'm sure).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:30 | 03.11 miles | 06m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/108
Overall: 90/576
Performance: Average
Course: Loops all over the park- some grass, some hard packed dirt, some asphalt.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-07-12 8:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: Triangle Triathlon

2009-07-13 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2279828

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Triangle Triathlon
Great work!

As you know I agree about the parking, it was an abomination. I will write to them.

Edited by neuronet 2009-07-13 10:39 AM
2009-07-13 11:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great race and good report. Fantastic times too!

The parking was horrible...I couldn't believe how disorganized, or should I say unorganized, everything was.

Venue was nice once we got there.
2009-07-15 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Wow, super fast race! Congrats! That's a tough age group, too, so to come out 8th is super! Keep up the good work and you'll wind up on the podium

I love Espresso Gu. I always take one 30 min before end of race, and I swear it gives me a nice burst of energy. That's top secret info, so don't tell anyone!

Sorry your wife and kids missed seeing you and wasted all that time. What a dissppointment!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triangle Triathlon Rss Feed