Set-Up, Inc.
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m
Overall Rank = 347/1112
Age Group = Master Novice
Age Group Rank = 3/18
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:45. Bagel with Peanut Butter. Tried something new, drank a Mountain dew for caffene. Bananna. Accelerate drink, powerbar. Just before the race I did Cliff Shot Blocks.
Event warmup:

Didn't ride this time pre race. Just ran for about 1/2 mile to losen up.
Swim
  • 19m 23s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started at the front middle left. Did well off the start, got hit and kicked a few times but uneventful. I kept sight of the buoy and stayed on target. What did occur is I could not get my breathing under control and found myself coming up for air every 2 strokes. I tried to calm down and breathe every 4 strokes but I found myself gasping for air more, so I just settled on 2 strokes and then a breath on right side. Swallowed water 3-4 times but was ok.
What would you do differently?:

Still working on technique, speed, drills, breathing, all the above. More OWS.
Transition 1
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

Ran from the water a long way, I think almost 300 yards to my bike. Ran with bike to mount and was off. Felt like it was a good transition.

Run harder
Bike
  • 51m 49s
  • 17.5 miles
  • 20.26 mile/hr
Comments:

Coming out of T1 I had to ride on the grass to pass the group in front of me but I rode like a bat out of hell out of the park, jumped the ramps like I was 10 years old. When I turned on Friendship I passed lots of folks and was passing a person on a downhill just before a bridge, coming towards us was a casual biker and a F 350 Truck with extended mirrors who decide to pass the casual biker and come into my lane just as I was next to the biker I passed, and I frankly thought I was going to get hit head on. He missed me by 2 foot maybe, or at least the morror did. I was a little shaken because there was nothing I could have done different except take out the biker on my right, and thus me, at 29 MPH. For the next 3-5 miles I went back and forth with a guy in my category, he'd get me on the hills and I'd take him back on the flats. Since he was in my category I knew he was probably a better runner, (my weakness) so once we turned on Avent Ferry, ~ 8 miles left, I knew I had to gain ground on him so I cranked it to the lowest gear possible and opened it up, once I passed him I never saw him again. I was only passed by 1 person and I passed maybe 60-70 people.

Hill Work. Be smarter, life is worth more than a triathlon so anticipate drivers moves more. That guy in the F 350 was traveling too fast to be around so many bikers, no regard for safety. Get me a tri bike so I can get faster. My Cannondale r600 is good but I need to get a bike and be more serious about this.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Pulled out feet and rode on top of shoes, dismounted a moving bike and kept running. sat down to get shoes on (slowed me down) turned on foot pod for Polar, and pulled Polar watch off the bike, fumbled with that to get it on my arm while running.

Forget the Polar, use regular watch, lost probably 30 seconds doing this.
Run
  • 26m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out slow and stiff so I tried to get more foot strikes and started to push faster. Only had 4-5 people pass me. Ran the whole thing and getting faster..still slow, but getting faster from my previous races. I am so slow right now, it's so frustrating compared to what I use to be. At 5"9" 205 pounds I know once I get back to ~ 170 I will get my speed back.

Need all kinds of work, speed, hills, strides, endurance, pixie dust,a dn get the darn fat off. Of couse the root of my isses still linger, plantar fasciitis in both feet so every day I deal with icing and stretching. Once I can lose more weight hopefully it will not be as much an issue.
Post race
Warm down:

I was spent, I went to the picnic table and sat down, drank 3 cups of water, ate some beans and rice and drank a coke. Hosed off and felt better.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I simply need to lose 30 more pounds. Work on running drills, OWS, all swimming techniques, hill drills for the bike and running.

Event comments:

Setup Events did a good job. Nice event and great volunteers. The one dowturn was that parking was terrible thus spectators could not attend unless they came with the participants. for families with young kids like mine, it's almost impossible to ask that of them or if they were to have tried to coem later and walk or ride in on the "shuttle"..no way. Need to rethink the parking mess.

Last updated: 2009-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:23 | 820 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/18
Overall: 402/1112
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2XU 1 piece
Course: 90 degree turns going counter clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:51:49 | 17.5 miles | 20.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/18
Overall: 186/1112
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: First half more uphill, 2nd half downhill and flat.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:43 | 03.11 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/18
Overall: 333/1112
Performance: Average
Course: Pavement first 1/2 mile then trail to last 1/4 mile which is pavement again.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-07-12 8:34 PM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: Triangle Triathlon

2009-07-12 9:01 PM
in reply to: #2279909

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Triangle Triathlon
Great job Harold! Podium!!! Our numbers are a lot alike. Scary.
2009-07-13 2:51 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Great job out there.  Sorry I missed you too.  Congrats on the Podium!!
2009-07-15 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Glad you are okay after that close call with the idiot driver!!! You had a great race. I kind of had fun on those speed bump ramps, too, LOL.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triangle Triathlon Rss Feed