General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ocean swims: swallowing salt water and combating nausea? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-13 9:40 AM

User image

Regular
Doylestown, PA
Subject: Ocean swims: swallowing salt water and combating nausea?
I ran my second ocean-swim triathlon this weekend and yet again experienced discomfort with the swim.  The combination of the salt water intake, bobbing up and down on 3' rollers and bilateral breathing caused me to nearly vomit in T1 and provide for some comic relief for the audience as I "ran" to T1.  So… a few questions.
1) Would taking Tums or some other calcium tablet calm down the salt water intake at all?
2) Would a sea-sickness patch/pill/bracelet help with the nausea associated with the bobbing/bilat breathing?
Any other ocean tips are appreciated.
I ran my second ocean-swim triathlon this weekend and yet again experienced discomfort with the swim.  The combination of the salt water intake, bobbing up and down on 3' rollers and bilateral breathing caused me to nearly vomit in T1 and provide for some comic relief for the audience as I "ran" to T1.  So… a few questions.
  1. Would taking Tums or some other calcium tablet calm down the salt water intake at all?
  2. Would a sea-sickness patch/pill/bracelet help with the nausea associated with the bobbing/bilat breathing?
Any other ocean tips are appreciated.

2009-07-13 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2280758

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
Subject: RE: Ocean swims: swallowing salt water and combating nausea?
I don't think the tums would help. I wouldn't mess with the motion-sickness medication either. I'm not saying it wouldn't work but it could make you drowsy.

I would try some ear plugs, they've really worked well for me. I always wear them now. Also, try to get in some more rough-water swims and practice extending your rotation so that you get a good breath. Bi-lateral breathing is not the cure for everything but being able to breathe equally well on either side is a great tool to have. If the swells are coming from your right, breathe to the left (for example). You don't have to always alternate.
2009-07-13 2:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta

A) exhale through your mouth when your face is underwater to keep the salt water out... or exhale though the nose and just keep the mouth shut! When it's heavy surf you'll have to turn your head more to be able to breath and not suck down water

B) I have used Dramamine before, the 24 hour less drowsy fomula, it works fine but make sure you take a bottle of water with you where ever you go... it makes you a bit thirsty but I've never felt dehydrated as long as you're sipping water/nuun pre swim.

Shanks

ps to really screw with your system wash down the Dramamine with a Red Bull! haha just kidding, don't do that!

2009-07-13 4:32 PM

User image

Regular
Doylestown, PA
Thanks. I was thinking that dramamine non-drowsy couldn't hurt (?) but wanted to check here and with my doc prior.  Interesting about the ear plugs... I've heard that they help with the dizzy factor.  Seems odd to me, but I'm definitely willing to give it a try.

Thanks to a fellow BT member, I got in contact with a tri swim coach in my area. First lesson is tonight.  I'm going to inform her of my ocean OWS ambitions and hope that she provides me with tips on the technique necessary to breathing with the direction of the swell, riding the waves, etc. 
2009-07-13 10:16 PM

User image

Veteran
SoCal
ugh, i've been fighting similar things as you ... i grew up in the midwest, swimming in the great lakes and other freshwater lakes.  i moved to california a little more than 2 years ago.  started tri training out here and saw that a lot of races had ocean swims.  (go figure!)  i just thought, ok, a little salt, maybe a wave or two - no big deal, right?

oh lordy - salt water.  i can NOT get used to it.  the taste makes me want to vomit.  it burns my nose.  my lungs hurt.  it irritates my eyes if it seeps into my goggles even the slightest.  seeing as how i can't seem to get used to it (still working on being able to stomach that 'gargle some of it first' thing,) i don't have many tips on that.

i do better with the motion sickness and difficulty with bilateral breathing in waves by just deciding to breathe only to the side where the waves AREN'T coming from and deal with sighting a little more often to keep course.  it helps, but i'm no dolphin, that's for sure.

you're not along - sorry i don't have much advice; just wanted to empathize.   good luck with the coaching!    
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ocean swims: swallowing salt water and combating nausea? Rss Feed