Timberman Triathlon
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 00m 14s
Overall Rank = 104/117
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 7/7
Pre-race routine:

Slept relatively well (had company, so we gave up our bed for the fold out futon, but I was tired enough to sleep hard anyway). Ate pb/j toast, as per usual. Got crew out the door to the venue.
Event warmup:

Felt nervous - tried to make sure everything was in order for my first long course adventure.
Swim
  • 31m 45s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well... this wasn't great. I knew in advance that the swim course was measured short, and the wind hadn't really kicked up yet, so I had begun to mentally look past the swim to the rest of the race (mistake #1). I was nervous, with a nervous stomach, but figured it would settle down after a bit. Ate some sport beans (which I've never eaten before, mistake #2) because I was a bit worried about my nutrition for this longer effort.

Felt great until a little bit after we hit the buoy for the short coursers. Then I started getting hit by these big rollers from the side - they weren't really causing any problems - my breathing was fine, I wasn't catching too much water - but I began to feel dizzy. Like being seasick, from the side to side motion. I'd rather go straight over waves any day.

I finally hit the turn, went straight out into the chop, and was feeling pretty good - stretching out, catching the tail of the wave in front. I was hoping that after I made the second turn and was coming back in, the fact that I was breathing away from the waves would make it better (I'm a right side breather, predominantly). It really didn't. About halfway home I started to feel really dizzy, and lose my bearings. I'd also overtaken the short course swimmers, and the water was a lot busier at that point. I was still keeping a pretty good line, but I was losing track of where I was. I hit the last pontoon and thought it was shallow enough that I could stand up for a second to get my bearings and "un-dizzy" myself... couldn't touch, bobbed in the water for a second and realized I was going to hurl, which could be seriously complicated in the water. Cut across fast for the pontoon, retching the whole way, barfed under their boat, apologized, caught my breath for a minute, and then swam for home. As soon as I could touch I started to wade in - I knew I needed to evaluate how I was feeling at that point.
What would you do differently?:

Can't really say - I don't think it was any one thing that pushed me over, but a combination of factors.
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

At this point, I walked most of the way up to transition, just trying to get my feet under me and figure out if I was sick (my daughter had a stomach bug earlier in the week) or if it was just a combination of dizziness and nerves. I decided to go through with the bike and see what would happen. There was no speediness about this transition!
Bike
  • 1h 24m 27s
  • 24 miles
  • 17.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Loved it. I am lucky enough to live here, so I'd gotten down a couple of times to bike the course, and that knowledge really pays off. I was a bit worried about doing the 2-mile climb twice, but I just put my head down and did it... and enjoyed every minute of the rest of the ride. Thanked every volunteer I saw, and yodeled my way down the big downhill.

I will say that I wasn't prepared for the loneliness that hits after you go past the short course turn off. Didn't see many bikers past that point.

My nutrition plan went out the window here, though. I tried taking half a gel and my stomach cramped up again, so I knew I would be in trouble on the run. I tried to make sure I got some liquid in, but probably drank half as much as I had planned to.

Not much... I can see my biking getting better every year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Not bad. I saw all my short course buddies (who were done at this point) cheering me on at the rack. Told them I was going out for an easy 6 mile jog (which was my plan at this point - I wasn't going for any course records!). I brought my little hand-held water bottle because I wasn't sure how the water stops were laid out and I didn't want to be parched... it was nice to have and didn't bother me, so I may plan on that again if I do long course next year.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 00m 12s
  • 6 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I walked through the aid stations - might not have needed to, but the mental break helped a little. I hadn't done enough focused run training this spring, and I knew it, so at this point I just wanted to make sure I finished with a smile.

I dumped water on myself a couple of times at aid stations and was glad I did. It got a little warm out there on the dirt road portion.

My stomach started growling audibly at mile 4, and I started getting a cramp in my quad - I could tell I was low on energy.

A girl in my age group caught me right at the end... it would have been nice not to be last in my AG, but I just didn't have it in me to put out anything more. If I hadn't walked those aid stations...

Basically, run more. Which I plan to put into practice immediately.
Post race
Warm down:

Couldn't really eat anything until later in the day - too scared of my stomach letting loose again. Had a great time with our friends, sitting around and chatting about the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I trained just enough to do the distance - work and life (and a touch of laziness) combined to make it hard to do more than that. Having done this distance, I kind of think I might like it, especially if I amped up my run training... we'll have to see what the future holds.

Event comments:

Love this course, love the RDs - they put on a great race and I'll be there every year I can.

Last updated: 2009-02-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:45 | 1760 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/7
Overall: 0/117
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: rectangular out and back
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:46
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:24:27 | 24 miles | 17.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/7
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Rolling hills, with a long gradual climb (2 miles) and some awesome downhills as your reward.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:12 | 06 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/7
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-13 11:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
Subject: Timberman Triathlon - Long Course

2009-07-13 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2281179

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Timberman Triathlon - Long Course

Nice job Kristin...see you there in 2010

2009-07-13 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2281196

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Great job considering the stomach issues. That swim sounded rough!  Must be a fast group in your AG to be last with that time. 

2009-07-13 1:52 PM
in reply to: #2281179

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Great job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed