Lifetime Fitness
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 39m 58s
Overall Rank = 278/1040
Age Group = CLY M 30-39
Age Group Rank = 8/30
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:00 and normal routine of PB&H on a bagel. Also, "predosed" infinite and drank 32oz of water. Got to the race site, bodymarked and headed into the transition to set up. My wife was doing the sprint and was on the other side, so back and forth a few times, but got it all cleaned up and ready to go.
Event warmup:

Ran about 800 yds is all and felt oddly winded, but pushed through and back to transition for a final gear check and picked up my wetsuit. I have been finding that I really don't "settle" in with my swims until 4-500 yds, so I did 3 out and backs quite a way out there. After the first one, my wetsuit felt really funny. When I stopped, I noticed it floating up a bit and realized I had forgotten to sip up the back!? Got that taken care of and went up to the staging area for the National Anthem and announcements.
Swim
  • 24m 20s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Running into the water, I only saw 3 others with me on my second dolphin dive, so I pushed a bit and checked both sides. The swimmer on my right slowed pretty quickly and the two to my left hung tight for the first 250-300 yds. At that point, we were hitting the wave before us (buzzed a backstroker from the relay group).

Feeling pretty good getting to the first bouy. Easy sighting since it wasn't required. Sun was directly over the first bouy, so other than a distance check, we were dead on. At that point, I lost the other two from my wave and kept pushing on. Fairly uneventful until just after the 2nd turn bouy where a wildly wayward relayer was almost 90° to the course and ended up running into the side of her legs.

Exit went well, but the odd thing was that my max heart rate was recorded running up that sand at 185 bpm??? Not sure what that was about!?
What would you do differently?:

Didn't have any feed to draft off of... not really something I could fix with the wave timing, but there may have been some slower elites that I could have rested on for a bit to get back in the grove and push a bit harder.
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

Ran with my wetsuit on until I hit solid ground and then started getting the top off... I had the top off and shoulders off by the time I got to my bike. I was fairly pleased, but need to work on "shoes on bike" starts. I haven't practiced it and certainly didn't try it here, so with a long run in the shoes... it slowed me down a bit.

Shoes on bike... practice, practice, practice, then implement at a race.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 5s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Not a good ride fo rme at all. I was watching HR and noticed at mile 10 that I was a bit high and the avg. was up in Z4, so I decided to back off a bit, knowing the back 1/2 of the course is a bit slower. Pushed to a comfortable level and looking at my HR data, there was a nice drop into the low Z3's... unfortunately, going off of that, I was about 1mph slower than I had targeted for this race. Not sure if it was good or bad for the balance of the race, but certainly disappointed in the performance.

Balance things out. I got excited with my swim time as I was coming out with some of the elites that started several waves infront of me. so I think I pushed a bit hard for the first 3-5 miles of the bike. Need to sit back and ride my race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

1st execution of shoes left on the bike after a spring of practicing and nailed it... only problem was almost losing my bike running through transition.

not much here. Pleased with the time, only pushing a bit harder would change the result.
Run
  • 55m 1s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Was looking to make some big improvements here this year, and for me, I did! Sub 9's is great for me at this distance. in straight up 10k's, I can be low 8's, so watching the lap timing, I generally neg. split each mile starting at a 9:01 and dropping from there. (last 0.2 miles was a 7:22 pace, but that doesn't count for much.) When I came around the final turn, I saw the clock and wanted to finish below the 2:40 (even though I had already missed my personal goal of 2:35).... looked up a few times to watch it counting down and ended up just under.

Still for me, training... time on the run. I am getting better, getting lighter and running without pain this year. So I am happy!
Post race
Warm down:

Not much other than walking around quite a bit to see my wife come through T2 and then to the finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training!!! Still have that issue, but who doesn't. Technically, everything else was fine. Nutrition (for the first time this year) was fine. Temp was fine... all good. Now it's just my engine! Decided at this point to go race free till IMWI!!! Can't wait for that one!

Last updated: 2008-11-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:20 | 1640 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/30
Overall: 43/1040
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto T1
Course: modified triangle... out directly into the sun, long "back stretch" and angled back in to the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:16:05 | 24.85 miles | 19.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/30
Overall: 362/1040
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:55:01 | 06.21 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/30
Overall: 585/1040
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loop around lake. relatively flat course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes