General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Clubs in NYC Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-13 6:45 PM

User image

Regular
NYC
Subject: Running Clubs in NYC
I am looking to possibly join one- mostly because it can get lonely being new to the city and I think it would help to get out there and meet some people who also love to run- and maybe bike and swim too. Anyone belong to any of these clubs? Feedback? I've done some research on different ones through NYRR but would like some more info/anecdotes if possible. I'm 23, average about a 9 min pace and am training for my first marathon in October. Done 4 halfs since last September. My long runs right now are 10 miles (usually once a week).

2009-07-13 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2282451

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Running Clubs in NYC
Welcome to New York! I'm not sure about running specific clubs as I've never looked to join one. I've always wondered if the cost of membership is really worth it when there are so many great ways to find running partners or join a group run here and there vs be a member. I think you can post a message on NYRR's site to try to find a partner. JackRabbit and Super Runners Shop do regular group runs that are free for anyone who wants to join. The Running Center does group runs, but may require a membership.

On the tri front, you could join a tri club. The big ones are Asphalt Green, Terrier Tri and Tri Life. They are pretty expensive, but if you're going to truly use the services and it's important to you they may be worth it. If you live in Brooklyn there is the Brooklyn Tri Club. I'm a member but haven't done any group activities yet, but hear good things from others. It was really affordable to join and felt worth it.

Lastly, you can take running classes through JackRabbit if you want something more structured and want to meet some poeple. I did their NYC Tri training program last year to get my race entry and made a couple really good friends in the process.
2009-07-14 9:35 AM
in reply to: #2282451

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Running Clubs in NYC
I've heard good things about NYC Flyers. THey seem to have a good balance between partying and running, which is what I would look for in a club. I like LayMarathoner's suggestion about trying out the various group runs in the city. Nike has one too--you sign up at the Nike store on 57th and run through the park. You could also just sign up for a NYRR race and chat people up around the starting line. I always see tons of people wearing their running club uniforms at those things.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Clubs in NYC Rss Feed