World Triathlon Corporation
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 03m 22s
Overall Rank = 903/1307
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got at at 3:00 had a bagel with peanut butter and walked over to catch the bus to the start of the race.
Event warmup:

Swam out to test the water with Bobby (dreamchaser) and BS'd until our wave started.
Swim
  • 37m 26s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Thw swim was delayed 20 minutes due to the weather. Started out pretty good the water was choppy from the wind and a strom that blew threw wthe night before. I swam off course one the way out once and when I rounded the buoy going back in. I felt good the entire time in the water and stayed pretty consistent with my stroke. The swells didn't bother me that mujch but it did feel more difficult on the way back in.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing maybe try and sight better.
Transition 1
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

Utilized the wetsuit strippers and got ready for the bike.

I need to get tri shoes and dumpr my road bike shoes.
Bike
  • 3h 16m 34s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.09 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 20 miles I covered in about an hour and felt good about how the race was going. Then the hills started and I got crushed. I honestly did not put in the time needed to have a strong bike and it showed. Dreamchaser told me "It's all about the bike" and he is right. If I want to be more competitive I have to put more time in the saddle. I did the best I could on the hills and felt fresh coming off the bike. While I didn't hit all my long rides I still felt like I would have a good run based on how I felt going into T2. Saw a sick accident don't rememebr where on the course but the rider was laid out and blood everywhere, I hope he/she is alright.

I need to ride a lot more to prepare for this distance. 56 miles with hills needs to be an easy day for me.
Transition 2
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

Everything was smooth except I had to pee.

Try and pee and the bike which I wasn't able to do.
Run
  • 2h 03m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I got off the bike and felt great. When I looked at my watch sub 6 hours was within reach. Saw my wife and kids coming out of transition and hit the course. The first loop went well I chose to walk up the big hill and ran the rest of the way. Took water gatorade and sponges at every aide station. GUs at 3, 7 and 11. Completed the first loop in 55:29 and was pysched. Started for the 2nd loop and hit the hill and walked up. This is when I began to feel cramps in my quads and calves. Continued running but my pace was slowing considerably. I bagan to walk the aide stations miles 8 - 11 and walked again leading up to the big downhill section. Ran down the hill and headed for the finish. Some guy was passed out at the bottom of the hill getting medical attention. Hit the last hill into the finish and ran to the chute.

Not walk and HTFU and get through the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal and took my photo. Saw my wife and kids at the finish. I wanted to get a masage but the line was to long. Looked around for some food and something to drink.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As stated earlier, I need to focus my attention on building my bike endurance and power. That has been my limiter since I started doing tris 3 years ago.

Event comments:

I was hoping for sub 6 hours but I am happy with my time for my first HIM. I do not think this was an easy course either the volunteers were awesome. I can take this as a learning experience and use it to help me in future races. I enjoyed the distance but it is a big time committment training wise and I have to be thankful that I have a wife who tolerates my long training days. Thanks to Bobby (dreamchaser) for your advice this weekend and glad the families got to hang out a little bit.

Last updated: 2008-12-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:26 | 2112 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 1049/1307
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Full suit
Course: Swim a rectangle counter clokwise.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:48
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:16:34 | 56 miles | 17.09 mile/hr
Overall: 1267/1307
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: The first 20 miles are pretty flat and miles 21 to 50 inlcude some rolling hills and a big climb at mile 45. Some techinal turns the last 5 miles as you head through a shady section of providence to T2.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:03:00 | 13.1 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 903/1307
Performance: Average
Course: Two loops with a killer hill about a mile in.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-13 8:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island

2009-07-13 9:00 PM
in reply to: #2282709

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island

Next time for sure on going under 6 hours. Congrats. Awesome race. Any idea what happened on the crash? I saw an ambulance at some point going with its lights on.

2009-07-13 10:26 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Great job! Sorry I missed you this time around.
2009-07-14 10:36 AM

User image

Ralph, almost 6 hours flat is a legit first HIM time, especially for this course.  The swim was challenging with the current and swells ; the bike is 2/3 rds rolling hills with one tough climb ; and run course has it's share of false flats and of course that MONSTER HILL.  It seems like the second time up the hill really took a toll on you, as it did me. 

Considering the bike is your limiter, you did very well.  I think if you focused on the Bike between now and your next HIM, you could easily chop off 15 to 20 minutes overall.  Come do the Montauk HIM!!   I do know, however, that the bike takes up the most training time -- and it's tough with the little ones. 

Regardless, I'm glad we could get the families together and you had an excellent first HIM. CONGRATS.

2009-07-16 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2282803

New user

I read your review and just thought I'd let you know I'm ok. Looking at your times and mine, I'm pretty sure I was the one you saw down. I came around the corner at mile 49 and something hit my back wheel. I got out of control, hit a traffic cone and went down. It seemed like every part of me was bleeding. After about 10 minutes of being cleaned off and bandaged, I got back on my bike and finished the race. I was feeling ok other than all the scrapes, but that evening I went to the emergency room after feeling dizzy and having a terrible headache. I have a mild concussion and will probably not be able to work out for a few days or a week at least. I have lots of bruises and road rash, but I have proudly displayed them to all my friends. I finished in 6:12, which is a very good time for me.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island Rss Feed