General Discussion Race Reports! » Meijer Festival of Races - Cherry Festival Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Meijer Festival of Races - Cherry Festival - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Traverse City, Michigan
United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 23m 17s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34F
Age Group Rank = 4/119
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early, had oatmeal and a banana and some coffee for the drive over. Me, Eric, my 2 sis's and my brother-in-law were all running the 5K, so we tried to meet up, but missed 2 of them.
Event warmup:

Got warmed up on the track next to the start line. About 10 min's with some pickups.
Run
  • 23m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Lined up between the 7 and 8 min./mi. seeding signs and did the usual...got up to speed and hung on.

It had rained overnight and it was just starting to warm up, so it felt a little soupy outside. The run was really flat except for a couple hills in the Civic Center area...this area was also a bit too narrow. At one point, I saw my pace over 8:00 with all the bodies slowing me down. I still finished feeling like I couldn't have gone any faster. Got 3.11 on the Garmin, so the course was right on (they had it re-certified with the changes this year)...so this is my official 5K PR now.

The finish was great with tons of spectators lining the downtown area. I like the new course, but am not a huge fan of the Civic Center path being used so early on.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure.
Post race
Warm down:

Cheered on the rest of the family, got our cup of cherries and drinks and sat down until results were posted. Both Eric and I got 4th in our AGs...dang.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crazy amounts of backpacking during the week that left us tight and sore!

Last updated: 2009-07-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:17 | 03.11 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/119
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: New course this year...from the college to the Civic Center then through a neighborhood before finishing downtown.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-14 7:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Canton, MI
Subject: Meijer Festival of Races - Cherry Festival
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Meijer Festival of Races - Cherry Festival Rss Feed